1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official 2013 Thrifters Scavenger Hunt Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, Jul 17, 2013.

1. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Might be 7...I lose count every time because of the extra stuff.

2. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

While Spoo is the final arbiter, I vote for Brian just cause he had the balls to do this.

3. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored

This is a great recap, bless you for having the energy to do so. Im still tired from running years of WAYWRN challenges.

So, anyone else chime in, but Ive got a leader in this race. Ill crown the king in the morning.

4. bytor13

bytor13 Senior member

Wes or Brian, definitely.

5. DanM

DanM Senior member

I LIKE this idea. (I even have a super hot thrift store employee in mind that would totally pose for the pic...)

6. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored

I dont think you need me to tell you that you dont need a challenge to do this anyhow.

So, after careful consideration, I am hereforth declaring

CAPNWES

The winner of the inaugural TTSH (Thrift thread scavenger hunt). Not only did he exceed the minimum criteria, followed all the rules, but he did it in under 24 hours, which is most impressive. Brianpore did a fantastic job and was a very close second, the Zebra selfie almost toppled Wes. If for any reason Wes is unable to assume his duties as reigning TTSH champ, Brianpore will fill in. I assume you both know not to travel on the same flight together, if you both are unable to fulfill your duties. then GMMcL will be in charge. If he is unable to do so, then Bytor13 will have the crown.

Wes, the responsibility is yours now, to continue (in this thread, please) the new scavenger hunt. There are no rules, you may determine what we look for next at your choosing. You have the power to be a tyrannical ruler and set forth anything you desire.

Thank you to all the participants and this was a good laugh, lots of fun.

7. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

nice work, Wes, and all others who participated! Looking fwd to the next challenge, and love Brianpore's idea about the employee.
    thanks again to Sir Spoosalot for coming up with a way to make this hobby even more fun.

8. bytor13

bytor13 Senior member

+1 - Thanks, Spoo!

9. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Before we get started, I want to say to something first....enjoy.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2013
  10. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

THE RULES - CAREFUL, THERE ARE A COUPLE MINOR CHANGES
    [​IMG]

OK guys, heres the deal. This is a scavenger hunt that anyone can participate in. Check the quick rules below and go out a huntin'.

1. All the items below must be found in thrift shops. That means thrift, charity, church and other places. Consignment stores do not count, nor does full price retail environments.

2. You do not need to purchase the item in question, you must only take a picture of it and upload it here when complete (please see below for clarification on when to upload)

3. You must print the picture above and include it with your photo of the item. They must not be photoshopped and be in the same shot. For bonus points, please include the price tag.

4. Do NOT upload photos one by one if you check a few things off the list. You must only upload everything in one shot when you complete all the items on the list. Occasional teasers are permitted.

5. You have until August 17 to find all the items on the list.

6.Since we like to see picture... Everyone will be able to post their finds this time, Whoever has the most complete list, will be the winner.

Thats pretty much it - go out and hit the shops and the first one with photos of these following items in total wins!

Oh, prize - I'm giving a pair of custom monogrammed cuff links to the winner. The winner's responsibility also comes with starting a new scavenger hunt with new items as well.

THE LIST

I thought about doing the points system, but I will leave that for the next winner to decide. I struggled with how to go about doing something like that since some folks may see a high point item every week, while others have never seen it.

Anyway. I have decided instead to add a few more items to the list. My goal here is to get you to look in places you may accidentally overlook, since a lot of times, that is where you find the gems.

1. Suit/Sport Coat with more than 3 enclosure buttons (more buttons for extra points)

2. An item priced by the store with a reference to the online cost - (extra point if they have attached an eBay listing printout to justify their high price). (Highest thrift store price receives a bonus point)

3. Pink Sunglasses.

4. An item of apparel or footwear tagged Made in England, Great Britain or equivalent.

5. A pair of cufflinks.

6. A fedora with a feather in the band.

7. A silk pocket square, extra point for hand rolled, another extra point if it wasn't made in an Asian country.

8. A pair of Allen Edmonds shoes.

9. A shirt with contrasting collar and cuffs, bonus points if its R&G, another bonus if it's a real embroidered Robert Graham.

10. A feather/down filled vest.

11. A Suit Coat/Sport Jacket with a hand finished notch or peak lapel. (You know, the hand stitched tab on the back side)

12. A square ended knit tie.

13. A Polaroid Camera (extra points if it has a rainbow stripe)

14. A piece of tweed luggage. (extra point for a matching set)

15. A pair of bookends.

Bonus - Take a photo of a Thrift Store employee holding your scavenger hunt membership badge.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  11. DanM

DanM Senior member

Urg... I wish this list had been up a few hours ago, I would already have 1, 4, 5, 7, 8, 9, 11, 12, and 13 all from the same store.

12. SpooPoker

6 of them done

1 person likes this.
  13. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

Congrats to Wes and the other qualifiers! I'd love to participate this round, so I'll give it a shot.

Another big thanks to Spoo for getting this going, it's been a lot of fun watching it!

Last edited: Aug 3, 2013
  14. richnet12

richnet12 Senior member

Congratulations to Wes. Great thread and ..here we go again!

15. richnet12

richnet12 Senior member

Allen Edmond shoes even go for a premium on goodwill.com.

16. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

I've never seen Allen Edmonds here (big surprise, they're American :D), so that will be quite the challenge. I've also never seen an ebay printout, though I know of a couple of shops that use ebay as a guide. Oh well, it will be fun anyway!

17. DanM

DanM Senior member

My wife just phoned - she picked up a pair of Allen Edmonds, with AE shoe trees, for $5. #anotherbenefitofmarriage. If only she had a copy of the thrift name badge...

18. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

Can someone put a picture of number 11 up, I am not positive I know what this is.

19. runyourchain

runyourchain Senior member

The store CesarC is at in that picture is loaded with attractive workers and customers.