1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official 2013 Thrifters Scavenger Hunt Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, Jul 17, 2013.

1. DanM

DanM Senior member

^i hear you on finding previous hunt items. Just came across my first club collar shirt in months.

[​IMG]

2. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Dude...there are still 6 more days....

Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
  3. FaceOfBoh

FaceOfBoh Senior member

What? I thought it ends on the 1st?

4. futuremyth

futuremyth Senior member

Nope, 6th. I went to post last night and was happy to see I had a bit more time.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
  5. DanM

DanM Senior member

Although it would have been hilarious in GMMcL had won it by being the only one to remember to post.

6. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

:facepalm:

7. Patrologia

Patrologia Senior member

Right there with you bro. I was planning to post final finds later this afternoon. Problem for me is, I still might not get another chance to thrift before the 6th!

8. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Is this the bonus I'm looking for?

[​IMG]

9. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

That's just a regular point. That's Thomas. You need a Wooden Gordon to get the bonus....

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  10. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Just to clarify...we are looking for cardigans only, correct? I am convinced that no cardigans were ever made in Iceland or Ireland, every other type of sweater, but no cardigans. I think they were banned in those countries.

11. catside

catside Senior member

I have three Irish at home and sold an Icelandic one last year. Passed couple of Aran and Blarneys this year. It is Murphy's thrifting rule. You can not find it because you are looking for it. You will find six next week.

12. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

It's ok, I met the criteria, just want that bonus. I have found at least a dozen quality sweaters due to the search though.

13. Patrologia

Patrologia Senior member

No, Wes is right. It all has to do with a 19th Century treaty having to do with former Norse colonies (Ireland got sucked in because of Dublin). Hate to say it catside, but yours must have been forgeries. There's a real cottage industry of those operating in the midwest.

14. catside

catside Senior member

15. DanM

DanM Senior member

Based on Murphy's Rule of Thrifting, I humbly request that the next list consist solely of Kiton, Tom Ford, Alden shells (in 11E!), vicuña, cashmere, how about solid gold, oh and a Ferrari.

16. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

+1 and [​IMG] on the 11E! I would also like to request a Patek Philippe be one of the scavenger hunt items perhaps this one, which is the Rose Gold version.

[​IMG]

17. bytor13

bytor13 Senior member

Posting now, as I struck out today on my store runs. My entries keep getting weaker and weaker. I need to up my game for the next round.

Orange Snakes!
    [​IMG][​IMG]

I couldn't recall the exact deets on this item. It has an overcheck, I hope that works.
    [​IMG]

IT shirt
    [​IMG]

Euro beer glass
    [​IMG]

Tartan pants
    [​IMG]

Brass candle holder
    [​IMG]

18. catside

catside Senior member

Thanks.

Bytor13 - 6

19. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

My revised entry: An admittedly weak finish, but I've had some stuff I've been dealing with this month. Previously found:
    The List Items I Actually Found: 3.Made in England men’s shirt [​IMG] 4.Tartan men’s accessory or clothing. If you can identify the Scottish clan +1 bonus point. If you or your significant other’s last name is same with that clan +1 more bonus point. Pretty sure this is Campbell of Cawdor, which would be the tartan on my paternal grandmother's side. [​IMG] 9.A real fur coat, or a coat with real fur accents- proof necessary- Could have had this -- many times over -- at my local, of all places, but I only dashed in without even my wallet or my phone, just a $20 bill (which is usally more than enough) 12.Brass candle holder. [​IMG][​IMG] 21.Tie with sea critters print. A bowtie with same type of print is +1 bonus point. Whales 1+ bonus point. [​IMG] 23.Beer glass with a European beer name on. [​IMG] 25.Harris tweed jacket in plaid or stripes (no pure herringbone or pure pepper and salt pattern). STRIPED on top of herringbone [​IMG]
    New finds: J Press [​IMG] Canali [​IMG] Faux wood stereo equipment [​IMG] Real mink [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Non-plastic music box [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 5, 2013
  20. catside

catside Senior member

Thanks.

Bytor13 - 6
    GMMcL- 15

I had to check if there are indeed sea frogs. Turns out yes.
    Anybody who wants to contest the ID of the tartan by G, be my guest. Since Wes is going to beat 15 anyway, I did not bother to research.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2013