Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Official 2013 Thrifters Scavenger Hunt Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, Jul 17, 2013.

1. richnet12

richnet12 Senior member

No hat with feather, no ebay sign, no Allen Edmonds. My thrift employee did not let me take a head shot or it would have been extra points from you guys as she is pretty cute, but she did hold up the sign.. Funny..about the only shoes around these parts in thrift stores are womens shoes so I end up thrifting and selling those. Even found some Chanel loafers.

2. bytor13

bytor13 Senior member

I've got everything except the fedora & the eBay sign.

3. CesarC

CesarC Senior member

I decided not to participate in this round as I'm quite busy doing other things, but I've actually managed to make it out a few times but haven't taken any photos. A shame, too, because if I had, I'd be only 3 away (missing ebay sign, fedora w/feather, and polaroid). Oh well. I've made friends with a few cute employees, too, should've done it.

4. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Are we only posting on the 17th or can we post anytime if we are done?

5. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

For the sake of keeping the thread interesting, you may post at will if you are finished. Cutoff is still at 11:59 PM, 8/17.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

6. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

With a few days to go until the deadline, here's where I stand. I hope to find some time to go out tomorrow. So why post now? Well, 1) I may not get out tomorrow; 2) Even if I do, I probably won't bat for the cycle; 3) Even if I do, I probably won't win (mostly hum drum stuff below); and 4) I needed a distraction from the work I'm trying to procrastinate. 1. Suit/Sport Coat with more than 3 enclosure buttons (more buttons for extra points) [​IMG] 2. An item priced by the store with a reference to the online cost - (extra point if they have attached an eBay listing printout to justify their high price). (Highest thrift store price receives a bonus point) [DNF] 3. Pink Sunglasses. [DNF] 4. An item of apparel or footwear tagged Made in England, Great Britain or equivalent. [​IMG] 5. A pair of cufflinks. [DNF, if you believe it] 6. A fedora with a feather in the band. [DNF] 7. A silk pocket square, extra point for hand rolled, another extra point if it wasn't made in an Asian country. [Extra bonus for it being CHRISTIAN DIOR and not made in an Asian country?] [​IMG] 8. A pair of Allen Edmonds shoes. [​IMG] 9. A shirt with contrasting collar and cuffs, bonus points if its R&G, another bonus if it's a real embroidered Robert Graham. [​IMG] 10. A feather/down filled vest. [DNF] 11. A Suit Coat/Sport Jacket with a hand finished notch or peak lapel. (You know, the hand stitched tab on the back side) [​IMG] 12. A square ended knit tie. [​IMG] 13. A Polaroid Camera (extra points if it has a rainbow stripe) [DNF] 14. A piece of tweed luggage. (extra point for a matching set) [​IMG] 15. A pair of bookends. [​IMG] Bonus - Take a photo of a Thrift Store employee holding your scavenger hunt membership badge. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013

7. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

#15 looks like a book display and not book ends.

**CoughMANHANDSCough**

8. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

I knew there would be SOMEONE who would make this comment.

Said item holds books and has ends. It also has two shelves, hence two sets of ends.

Thus, said item is or contains A PAIR OF BOOK ENDS.

QED

9. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

1. Technically GMMcL, that jacket only has one enclosure button........Minus 2 points.....[​IMG]

2. Is that a Hartmann Suit Case? If so, did you buy it?

3.Funny how the employee doesn't want her face photographed, yet her full name is visible. Fail

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013

10. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

Sayeth the lawyer in our midst [​IMG] but the Supreme Court ruled in Juman Ltd -vs- State of Connecticut that to call an object a bookend said object must stand BETWEEN two distinct objects.

11. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

1. Another line of reasoning I anticipated. I'm unfortunately covering it with my sign, but the middle row of buttons has holes. Include the internal enclosures and you're up to 4. :D 2. Dunno. No need or room for tweed luggage. Also, I think it was a solid couple of Jacksons; this store is pretty expensive (note the $10 knit J Crew tie) 3. Hey, she only said no face. I even showed her and got her blessing on the photo. My obligations were discharged.
    Pin cite or GTFO.

12. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

G, Iunno, that RG doesnt look like it has contrast collars or cuffs to me.... :confused:

13. SpooPoker

OK, so Im not getting out today so my official entry follows. I did not find a thrift employee to succumb to my charm and hold the sign, nor did I find a knit tie (WTF) or have time to get to the store where I know there is a sign that validates a price "PER THE INTERNET". lol. Next time I go though I will snap it, because its full of win.

So :

Jacket with multiple buttons - Im dropping a deuce on this. Pimpalicious black check and an Indian suit too :
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pink sunglasses
    [​IMG]

Tweed luggage
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bookends (my daughter found these)
    [​IMG]

Stick a feather in his hat and call him macaroni
    [​IMG]

Hand collar

Cufflinks
    [​IMG]

Look kids, big ben! Parliament!
    [​IMG]

Stuff it
    [​IMG]

Contrast
    [​IMG]

Im goin down down doo be doo be do down and sugar im going down swinging
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

AE
    [​IMG]

14. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

Of course there's a bathroom. Europeans go to the bathroom, right?

15. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

Could've done half the list at my first stop today...but I forgot to print the sign!

:fu: