The Official 2012 London Olympics Backlash Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Douglas, Jun 28, 2012.

1. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

btw speaking of diving, I like that the sync divers all chill in a hot tub before/after their dives. they need some beer and bitches in there with them, though

2. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

I posted a picture of Natalie in the WYHI thread and got two "no hit" responses. :confused:

3. Texasmade

Texasmade Senior member

+1000000

I loved watching his interviews during the 2008 Olympics. My friend and I would try to do impressions of him the whole time we were watching.

4. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

That thread is mad homo

5. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

sorry if this has been covered already:

Am I the only one that finds Bob Costas to be an insufferable prick?

I'm as patriotic as the next guy but do the announcers need to make a bigger deal about the American bronze place finisher than they do the gold and silver winners from other countries?

I like that a lot of these athletes that toil in obscurity get their day in the sun and a lot of them have inspirational stories but please don't make a big deal about the archer that had 2nd degree heartburn two weeks ago and now is miraculously on the field.

Volleyball is not a sport, much less an olympic sport. Womens beach volleyball is hot, mens beach volleyball seems to be a contigent of 30+ year old men that don't want to get real jobs and just hang at the beach. I guess I can't hate on that though. Indoor volleyball is just dodgeball but where you can't grab the ball.

6. Douglas

Douglas Stupid ass member

Costas and all of them are awful. If I could throttle Al Trautwig I would.

Fortunately I have yet to see any of Jimmy Roberts but I know he is coming for me at that moment when I let my guard down.

EVERYONE has fucking tragedy in their lives. Everyone has a dead mother or father or grandmother who had cancer. These fuckers shoehorn everybody into the same story arc of promising career meets adversarial conditions and then overcomes.

The best one I ever saw was when they did a piece on Tom Brady on like 60 minutes and they were saying how he got no attention in high school from colleges but then went on to fucking MICHIGAN.

7. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

I agree. Rules are rules, especially in sports, and she knew what the stakes were, that her toughest competition was from her own teammates, and that everyone was going to be competing as hard as possible. I get why they have the rule. It's better for the sport if the competition in the finals isn't all American, Russian and Chinese. However, I think an exception should be written into the rule for people finishing in the top 5. Whatever else it is, the Olympics is supposed to be a competition between the best athletes in the world.

Also, I can't help but feel bad for her. She's an athlete but she's also a little girl who has been training her whole life to win that medal and who now won't get a chance. She pulled it together and said the right things in the interview, and good for her. And good for the Raisman girl, too. She earned it and I hope she wins the gold.

8. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

BTW, another sport that I find compelling but that isn't receiving any mainstream play is weightlifting. Particularly the lower weight classes, where these guys who weigh about 120 are lifting 350 or more. It's such a raw sport, just one guy on stage alone mustering all of his strength.

9. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Huh???

10. fir3fox

fir3fox Senior member

Was watching the equestrian event, cross-country phase and a few of the riders were thrown off their horses and their vest immediately inflated.

I saw one Japanese rider get thrown but was able to land on his feet, yet his vest still inflated. Does anyone know how this works? If they go horizontal does it automatically inflate or does there have to be some sort of impact or is it manually triggered?

11. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

This sounds like a good compromise going forward. It boggles the mind that a slight step out of bounds on the floor exercise cost Wieber the chance to participate in the all-around finals when the rest of her program was good enough for fourth place overall.

12. edmorel

you heard me. I really mean it more for beach volleyball.

Obviously you need to be in great shape to play at an olympic level but honestly, don't you think that if you take an athlete from one of the other teams (swimming/basketball/soccer etc) and give them a month of practice, they'll do as well as the volleyball "pros". You think one of those volleyball dudes could swim the 400 or score double digits in a BB game? Other than the spike/kill, which they jump high on and hit very hard, is there anything that they do that you couldn't do :confused:

13. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

14. edmorel

also, the female gymnasts....

why are they so small? does their training stunt their growth? I see a commercial with Shaun Johnson I think her name is. She won gold at the last olympics. She's short, very muscular up top, just an odd look for a young woman. On this current team, the asian girl and the irish one look ok, but the others just look weird, they are tiny in stature yet very muscular up top. 15 year old girl with weightlifter muscles is odd.

15. Pilot

Pilot Senior member

Just the way the sport is. Yes training that young probably stunts most of their growth, but that only helps them. Much easier for a 5'1 girl to tumble than a 6'2 girl. Plus it just means they weigh less so their upper body strength goes a long ways.