The Official 2012 London Olympics Backlash Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Douglas, Jun 28, 2012.

1. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

don't worry, China is laughing all the way to the olympic bank with those synchronized diving golds.

o wait, i forgot that was a bullshit "sport"

2. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

I'm just done with all the water events.

The other day I was watching telemundo and they had brazil against I forgot who in soccer, which was fun to watch brazil and I am not even a soccer fan. Then they had the dominican republic playing italy in womens volleyball. That was like 4 hours that I stayed glued to the TV.

Al Trautwig, Bob Costas are just brutal. When its Al trautwig and Bob Costas doing swimming/gymnastics, thats like a prescription from Dr. Kervorkian.

3. Bhowie

Bhowie Senior member

lol, at all the Russian gymnasts crying.

4. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

i feel bad for them...when you strip all this TV shit away, these are 15-17 year old girls who just had their dreams crushed.

still....U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!

5. Douglas

Douglas Stupid ass member

trautwig and daggett should get the gas chamber.

honestly though the olympics aren't much different from anything else. The sporting press is such a joke. There's nothing to talk about but they'll talk about it for hours anyways, amplifying stories, making shit up.

Example: I had to laugh earlier this year when ESPN ran a few stories on consecutive days as the Celtics went down in the playoffs. All the same writer, might have been Bonnie Ford. I don't recall exactly how it went down, but it was something like this: Celtics lose opening game(s) in a series. ESPN Boston writer writes a long piece on how this team is a bunch of quitters. They don't have the championship DNA. There's something in something that makes them not real gut check champs. Long story. SOunds like some kind of intelligent analysis, sorta.

2 days go by, Celts win 2 games and even the series. Same writer writes long story about how this team has the gut check championship mentality. Opines about people having written them off. Herself included. Naysayers proven definitively wrong. Team has heart, deserving of the Celts tradition, jerseys.

I think the Celtics went on to lose. I wonder if the writer did another 180, but I didn't care enough to read. She'd already destroyed any iota of credibility she had.

Anyways, with Phelps, it's all the same. Hype hype hype. There's nothing to talk about. Phelps is a swimmer. He did great last time. Maybe he'll win some more. But at the end of the day, it's a tall guy in a fucking pool. Is it worth talking about for days? Is it worth debating manufactured positions against other manufactured positions all just in anticipation of something that's gonna be over in 3 minutes?

No. But you've gotta fill time.

6. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Senior member

Yeah, this kind of thing is so lame. Too bad it's the very core of the banality of modern existence.

7. edmorel

If I never see Phelps mom and sisters again it'll be too soon.

8. I am DIL

I am DIL Senior member

American coverage of the games is pretty weak, compared to the coverage back home, which is saying a lot.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2012

9. I am DIL

I am DIL Senior member

They did so, so badly. I'm concerned for their welfare now -- the savage beatings they're going to receive for their lackluster performance tonight are going to be brutal.

10. grit

grit Senior member

Sure, but he's only overrated in the same way that Michael Phelps is overrated (to bring the topic full circle). That Tracy Austin essay in Consider the Lobster should be required reading for any sports fan, and in fact has completely changed my perspective on the athlete interview. It really made me appreciate guys like R.A. Dickey and Adonal Foyle, smart athletes who have some perspective on life outside their sport.

11. curzon

curzon Senior member

“Curzon understands the cultural nuances of our ti
    If you want excellent Olympic coverage live in a country that sent 8 athletes, none of whom are expected to medal, let alone make it to the semis. The countries don't even bother to send a reporter or analyst. The broadcast it just the IOC-provided feed, and the sportscaster isn't at the live event, he's is sitting in the studio watching it on TV.

12. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

They will only receive Fendi goods as a reward instead of the coveted Gucci.

13. edmorel

and they'll be forced to marry millionaires as opposed to the country's billionaires.

14. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

I really wanted the Russians or Chinese to do better, because the US team was great and deserved better competition.

15. Douglas

Douglas Stupid ass member

Badminton disqualifications LOLOLOLOL.

"I was an Olympian."
    "Awesome! I'm so impressed. That's amazing. What sport?"
    "Badminton."
    "Badminton? Oh."
    "Yes, and I was disqualified for not taking the competition seriously enough."
    "I'm leaving now."