The Official 2012 London Olympics Backlash Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Douglas, Jun 28, 2012.

1. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

! my roommate has a copy of consider the lobster that lies next to my bed. i look at the cover every morning when i scramble to turn off the alarm. i should read it. i've read the gourmet magazine article.

2. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Senior member

^ "Consider the Lobster's" good, but you might want to start with "A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again" (the very long title essay of the book of essays by the same name). It's one of the only things I've ever read that made me laugh out loud repeatedly. Seriously fucking funny. I don't really do contemporary fiction, but I've had the chance to teach a few DFW short stories. The guy was off-the-radar smart. Can't believe he taught at my alma mater for a while (but showed up after I graduated).

Last edited: Jul 31, 2012

3. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

If you watch during the day, the coverage is much better. It's the prime time that is horrible. I still prefer the commentator free online feeds.

Pissed I didn't get to see the Women's gymnastics finals today. I was hoping to be doing office work that would at least allow me to listen live, but I ended up in meetings all day.

4. Pilot

Pilot Senior member

I watch stuff throughout the morning and day, then evenings before bed. I'm sure women's gymnastics will be on NBC all tonight.

5. Lord-Barrington

Lord-Barrington Senior member

Can't believe the Olympics thread has turned into a DFW love-in.

Guy was one of the most overrated authors of his generation.

6. Lord-Barrington

Back to the Olympics:

Aly Raisman's parent's look crazy.

7. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Senior member

Last edited: Jul 31, 2012

8. fir3fox

fir3fox Senior member

Same here, she seems like an awesome girl.

I just hope NBC doesn't overload me with it.

9. Lord-Barrington

Oh, they will milk it for all it's worth.

I still prefer NBC to Canada's TSN broadcast which is 30% sports and 70% the anchors doing shtick/comedy routines. I don't know who told these overgrown tweens that we would rather listen to their crap than watch Olympians perform, but they seem to think they are pretty hot stuff.

10. Pennglock

Pennglock Senior member

11. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

You could say much the same about people who reach the pinnacle in almost any field.

12. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

Ok thats it. I'm facking done with gymnastics and swimming. Because of NBC, I now hate the Fab Five, swimmers Schmidt, Locthe, Phelps, the male gymnastics team and the gymnastics parents. WTF is up with NBC, all swimming/gymnastics in primetime???

13. Pilot

Pilot Senior member

Love how during NBC Nightly News they didn't mention hardly any other country besides a nice little jab at China getting 4th in women's gymnastics. Take that China!

14. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Its all about what's going to capture the most eyeballs. Phelps was the biggest story last time and he's the biggest one still. No one really cares about men's gymnastics. The women are the only ones that matter. At least until the men finally win something.

15. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

yeah but phelps has been a dud. the qualifying rounds of the gymnastics are incredibly boring tv. The Fab Five have been bad also. Maybe NBC should be a bit dynamic in its programming and when events are boring or there little hollywood stories aren't working out, go to another fucking event. Its all recorded, they can show us pretty much anything that happened during the day. At this point, I'd rather a few hours of air pistols/archery then more swimming/gymnatics.