• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Odd Vest Thread.

crashtest

Reaction score
My first post, but I hope it turns out well.

I've read lots of threads on the forum about vests, specifically odd vests and what they can be matched/unmatched up with. What seemed to be missing were lots and lots of examples, so I am starting this thread so that people can gather all the ideas/pics in one place.
Why? Because.. I need some guidance/suggestions with the current ones I have
smile.gif

I'll start off with... a previous thread!

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=97093

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I commissioned an odd vest (a Scabal 10oz gunclub check).

In the end, I prefered the comfort and feel of a sweater vest instead and have opted to not commission any more odd vests.

Fair Isle patterned vests have won me over...especially in lambswool

Alimentarius

Reaction score
How does the community wisdom feel about belts/odd vests. I've always been on board with the hating of belt + 3 piece because of how it interrupt the line of the vest, but going with an all-suspenders wardrobe to accommodate odd vests seems a bit much, eh?

Flanderian

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alimentarius
How does the community wisdom feel about belts/odd vests. I've always been on board with the hating of belt + 3 piece because of how it interrupt the line of the vest, but going with an all-suspenders wardrobe to accommodate odd vests seems a bit much, eh?

A vest looks best with suspenders. A vest should completely, but just completely, cover the waistband at the front of the pants. If the pants are worn at the natural waist and the belt is a thin, flat one, with a small, flat buckle, it can look OK. The problem is that if the vest rides up, or the pants follow gravity, you're left with the belt buckle poking out below the vest. Little looks worse. The alternative is a vest that is a bit too long. But if one must wear a belt with a vest, I'd prefer that sartorial sin to screaming belt buckles.

Matt S

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flanderian
A vest looks best with suspenders. A vest should completely, but just completely, cover the waistband at the front of the pants. If the pants are worn at the natural waist and the belt is a thin, flat one, with a small, flat buckle, it can look OK. The problem is that if the vest rides up, or the pants follow gravity, you're left with the belt buckle poking out below the vest. Little looks worse. The alternative is a vest that is a bit too long. But if one must wear a belt with a vest, I'd prefer that sartorial sin to screaming belt buckles.

+1. Trousers with belt loops can also be worn with braces, so one doesn't need to have special trousers just to wear with a waistcoat. And since the waistcoat will cover the waistband it will also cover the belt loops. And the braces will keep the trousers in place so the belt loops are less likely to show. Belts always look awkward underneath a waistcoat. Pierce Brosnan could always be seen with a belt peaking out from under his waistcoat in his James Bond films and on Remington Steele. I can't recall if he wore belts with his beautiful 3-piece suits in The Thomas Crown Affair, but if he did it is a real shame.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads