• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The OCBD collar roll thread

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
i'm using that whitening skin cream.

Be careful, that stuff killed Michael Jackson.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
i'm using that whitening skin cream.

Getting your Sammy Sosa on.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I recently got a couple made without interfacing [in the band or the points], and I like them a lot. I think they may have used some tape somewhere (it made crackly noises before being washed), but the collars are pretty darn soft.

No pictures yet unfortunately.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do hidden button shirts considered BD?

mystillwater

Reaction score
i've got an RLPL OCBD that rolls very nicely. i tend to wear it more in the summer though because it's lanvender. the material is a bit on the soft side. when i think OCBD i think of a sustantial material.

i'm on the quest for the perfect OCBD and i haven't found anything close yet. i think i could wear a blue one practically every day if i could just find a slim fitting, well made shirt i could afford. who makes a decent MTM OCBD? i've tried J. Crew (wrong fabric, not slim enough), RRL (right faberic, wrong fit), fred perry (poor material, too slim, stupid logo), RLPL (nice but too-thin material, great fit, great collar, too expensive), RL Rugby (actually pretty darn close but the only one i could find was a white w/ tan stripe w. a club collar). any suggestions for what to try next?

I. Gentantithesis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
I remember the old ones as being unlined. The BBBFs have a unfused interlining, similar I assume to other BB makes coming out of the Carolina factory.

- B

Aren't BBBF woven shirts made by Gitman/Ashland in PA? I think the old gitmanco.com site revealed a Thom Browne or Black Fleece connection. It now links to gitman.com

Ain't BBBF tailored clothing made by Oxxford? Or just Thom Browne? www.individualizedapparel.com

jus' askin'

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Mercers and CEGOs have an interlining in the collarband, but not in the collar itself. Carl, correct me if I am wrong. I think it's just the two layers of fabric. They are thick enough that they don't need an interlining. If there is one, it's a lot thinner than the band interlining.

jcriswel

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Phat Guido
L1000101-8.jpg

I have noticed the points on Asia button downs seem to have more spread. I got into this with Modern Tailor. Their house button down collar seems way too spread out for me.
collarcomparison2.jpg
Here we have a Fray on the left and a Modern Tailor on the right. Is it my imagination or are the point spreads much different?
buttondowncollarrollcop.jpg
Another example of the wide "spread" between the points on Asian made shirts. Also, is it more fashionable by today's standard to have button down points much wider than in the past? Any ideas on this subject?

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by srivats
PG, those look very good.

Any pics with you wearing a tie with a BD colalr (with the collar buttons buttoned)?

Like this..
PA070199-8.jpg

P9220746-8.jpg

Or this..
foo.gif

L1010289-8.jpg

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by I. Gentantithesis
Aren't BBBF woven shirts made by Gitman/Ashland in PA? I think the old gitmanco.com site revealed a Thom Browne or Black Fleece connection. It now links to gitman.com

Ain't BBBF tailored clothing made by Oxxford? Or just Thom Browne? www.individualizedapparel.com

jus' askin'

I don't know for sure about the shirts. They're guys who have picked up Black Fleece OCBD seconds from that factory outlet in the Carolina factory, which AFAIK operates like a true factory outlet of old. That's not definitive, so I welcome better information about their origin.

I haven't seen any of the stuff that Oxxford is supposedly making for BB. Do you think this relationship is a move by del Vecchio to sniff out relieving Hayes of IAG?

- B

JohnnyCrockett

Reaction score
I've asked before but never received a reply.

What is special about BBBF OCBDs other than the price and the ridiculous sizing system? Is the fabric different? Is it slimmer fit than slim fit? Are the buttons MOP? Is the roll any different? Any handwork? Something else?

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnnyCrockett
I've asked before but never received a reply. What is special about BBBF OCBDs other than the price and the ridiculous sizing system? Is the fabric different? Is it slimmer fit than slim fit? Are the buttons MOP? Is the roll any different? Any handwork? Something else?
Fabric is superior to mainline BB. Fit is slimmer than BB slim fit. Collar points are slightly smaller. Can't recall the buttons. The shirt was a success, I expect, for several reasons. One is BB finally offering the slim fit contempo/retro oxford shirt that every other downmarket competitor (J. Crew, Polo Rugby) was offering. The other is that most BBBF items (tailored clothing, knitwear, shoes) was wildly expensive, which left the shirt and tie lines as relatively affordable at $150 a pop. Note I said relatively. Of course smart shoppers on this forum can get anything from slim-fit oxfords to Nigerian yellowcake for pennies on the dollar.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
BBBF are also sized like girl clothes, i.e., 1, 2, 3, etc. Each size corresponds to one -- and one only -- neck size, body cut and sleeve length.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads