• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The OCBD collar roll thread

cnew

Reaction score
For whatever reason, I can't find a way to subscribe without replying on mobile. Just here to lurk for now. Carry on Gents!

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
L L Bean 60% cotton 40% polyester maroon and white University stripe OCBD.

Brooks Brothers jacket and tie, Thomas Pink pocket square.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Gant Rugger selvage madras (lined, unfused)

Last edited:

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hardly any roll at all, Van Heusen PPBD tattersall shirt I got around twenty years ago.

Shiny

Reaction score
Thrifted this Lands End OCBD that has some possibilities. I'm gonna put a saved search for it on the bay. It is a LE "Direct Merchants" "Trim fit" that is made in Hong Kong. Collar points are 3.25" Don't have a protractor so I'm not gonna do the angle thing. It has an unlined collar, but has lined sleeve cuffs. I care more about the collar than the sleeves, lol. Fabric is 100% cotton and this one feels nice and soft.

Don't know how old this is b/c the LE ones I've checked out at Sears have seriously short collar points. Could be wrong, but the Sears ones are all non-iron. I'm partial to slim fits. Carry on.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
... dangerously close to Mr. B Collar territory, especially in the first photo.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend current/new shirts with unlined collars and cuffs besides the $140 Brooks version? doesn't need to be oxford cloth, can be pinpoint, broadcloth, etc.

SJR3

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Great thread. Figured I'd contribute and revive it. :)

The now discontinued Brooks Brothers lined collar OCBD (with pocket):
IMG_1767.JPG

The new, return-to-original, unlined collar:
IMG_1772.JPG

While I certainly understand the appeal of and prefer the unlined collar, the older, lined version isn't bad either. At least without a tie, it's plenty substantial and has good enough of a roll to be interesting and attractive. As for the new version, I'm happy with it, but I do wish it had a pocket, and the $140 price tag ain't cool.

Note that both of these pics were taken straight out of the box (hence the tag in the second pic). So if the collars look a bit wonky, it's because the shirts haven't been washed, broken in, or even had time to settle out of the packaging.

Also, PSA: there's a seller on eBay right now with a ton of the old lined collar BB shirts for sale, with many very recently listed. All BNWT and in the $50-$60 range. Seems to have tons of fits and sizes available. This is where I sourced the red uni stripe shirt above. Very fast shipping and 100% positive, 4000+ feedback. I have no affiliation with the seller whatsoever, just passing along my satisfaction.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads