• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The nuances of wingtip styles. Why does this pair look 'weird' ?

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For example, what is it about this AE Hinsdale wingtip (pulled from an old thread) that looks different? Is it just the open vs. closed lacing? Or is it more? 1- The brogue seems to go higher up the side of the vamp. 2- Also, the tiny secondary holes are not in the brogue. 3- Is seems to have a more casual vibe than the shoes below. Why? 4- The toe box looks a little boxy, as it rises straight up, instead of curving gradually. 5- The brogue holes seem to be blacked out, instead of just showing the same color leather underneath.
img0571pk0.jpg
Hinsdale_Chestnut.jpg
Compare it to the AE Cambridge & the AE McAllister
Allan%20Edmonds%20Cambridge%20Wingtip%20in%20Walnut.jpg
allen315585_137731_jb.jpg

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The biggest difference is that the first one is a derby and the second an oxford. The latter has that extra brogueing at the bottom of the laces so the vamp's empty space does not seem as extended. There's no rhyme or reason in terms of the types or sizes of perforations used. All depends on the maker. No brogues are exactly the same even if they are called brogues. Just go through the Shoe Pictoral Index and you'll see tons of examples.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reevolving
For example, what is it about this AE Hinsdale wingtip (pulled from an old thread) that looks different?
Is it just the open vs. closed lacing? Or is it more?

1- The brogue seems to go higher up the side of the vamp.
2- Also, the tiny secondary holes are not in the brogue.
3- Is seems to have a more casual vibe than the shoes below. Why?
4- The toe box looks a little boxy, as it rises straight up, instead of curving gradually.
5- The brogue holes seem to be blacked out, instead of just showing the same color leather underneath.

img0571pk0.jpg

Compare it to the AE Cambridge & the AE McAllister
Allan%20Edmonds%20Cambridge%20Wingtip%20in%20Walnut.jpg
allen315585_137731_jb.jpg

The broguing is too high up the vamp on an Italian style last ...the McCallister is the way I like it.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reevolving
img0571pk0.jpg

The shoe in the photo is 3-5 sizes too big for the person wearing them. Notice the gap at the back. had these been loafers, they would have fallen right off his feet. Sadly, this kind of mis-judgement is common with younger or less experienced men. They are under a misconception that women believe a man who has big feet, has a big weenie. This is in fact, mostly (99%) not true. Since their young female counterparts believe this myth, it validates them buying shoes that are far too big. It's getting him laid so why stop? Many modern running shoes today have removeable insoles or footbeds. That same running shoe itself may very well be a size 12 without that large foamy insole. With the insole, it reduces the inside cavity to a size 10.5. An un-suspecting customer, who ordinarily takes a 10.5, ends uo buying a size 12 in a running shoe, and since he mostly wears running shoes he is convinced that he takes size 12 all around. Now he goes to buy dress shoes and ends up buying a shoe that is 2.5 - 3 sizes too large. Since he knows no better (nor do his friends) he walks in shoes that are clownish in size. The only people telling him they are too large are probably his loving parents or family, but to his mind, they are telling him he has a small weenie. Hi reasoning is that he can't possibly go out into the world with everyone thinking he has a small weenie, now can he? So he chooses instead, to be a well hung clown instead. Play this further. A young woman who also knows no better, believes that by saying yes to him, she is in store for a sexual treat beyond her dreams & imagination. Once those shoes come off, what will happen? a) she will be in stitches of laughter at the small-footed (and in a moment small-weenie'd) clown in front of her, and laugh him to flaccidity (possibly secretly hoping it will get bigger when stimulated?). b) feel the maternal instincts within her awaken; seeing little boy-in-the-man before her. c) think 'wtf is this?' or possibly all of the above. Again, if this strategy is getting him laid, and this was his intention, he'll continue. If he goes for a job interview in oversized shoes, this will not reflect well on him.

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To my eye, the biggest difference in the Hinsdale and other wing tip brogues is that the brougeing on the Hinsdale carries back from the vamp at a constant rate of decent. In most other wing tips the brogueing moves toward the rear of the shoe at a fairly high level and then drops to the welt rather quickly near the midpoint of the shoe. The Hinsdales drops, pretty much, in a straight line.

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're right. The Oxford's have that 2nd row of brogue, so the toecap brogue must drop sharply to avoid overlap. The Hinsdale has the room for the brogue to go much further back in the shoe. Notice how it almost reaches the heel? Look at the original picture alongside the stock photo. I think the stock photo is a much better look pair of shoes. As RangerP noted, the "real life" photo seems to be much narrower than the stock, and has weird proportions.
img0571pk0.jpg
Hinsdale_Chestnut.jpg

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man Of Lint
Many modern running shoes today have removeable insoles or footbeds.
That same running shoe itself may very well be a size 12 without that large foamy insole.
With the insole, it reduces the inside cavity to a size 10.5.
An un-suspecting customer, who ordinarily takes a 10.5, ends uo buying a size 12 in a running shoe,

Besides the rest of the rambling, I actually learned something from this. I wear a English size 11 and a US 12 or 11.5 depending on the maker. Whenever I buy running shoes, I have to buy size 13 and I never understood this. Now, this makes sense.

Raoul Duke

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Patek
Besides the rest of the rambling, I actually learned something from this. I wear a English size 11 and a US 12 or 11.5 depending on the maker. Whenever I buy running shoes, I have to buy size 13 and I never understood this. Now, this makes sense.

I found this interesting as well. I wear a 13 in running shoes, but I can squeeze an 11 in dress shoes. This discrepancy led to a couple poor purchases.

isshinryu101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
only four holes to lace up, where as most wingtips I've seen have 5 or 6 (so that part of the shoe is shorter).

Also, the waist seems narrow.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it looks "weird" because you've identified the maker as Allen Edmonds.

Had you said G&G or Lobb then there'd be praises all around.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 37.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 84 38.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.3%

Forum statistics

Threads