• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

***The Not Even Slightly Official SW+D Booze and Cocktail Thread***

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like Hangar One vodka.

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
a buddy of mine makes the best vodka i've ever had. It's got all those obnoxious brooklyn buzzwords but it's actually pretty amazing.

http://drinkicd.com/#vodka

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

a buddy of mine makes the best vodka i've ever had. It's got all those obnoxious brooklyn buzzwords but it's actually pretty amazing.

http://drinkicd.com/#vodka

There are small distilleries popping up all over Seattle. It is amazing how good some of these places are. I hate to mix their product; I usually just add an ice cube.

Last edited:

cthip

Reaction score
It's worth noting that the popular vodkas over the fast few pages (which also happen to be my favorites) Tito's, Ketel One, and Hangar One are all made in pot stills. Maybe the distillation method matters. Most big brands are made via continuous, column distillation or reflux.

The ICD vodka looks like something out of my organic chemistry class. As a science nerd, I'll be keeping an eye out for it!

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anybody ever had Malort?

Also, with all the vodka talk, forgive my ignorance, but isn't really good vodka essentially flavorless.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anybody ever had Malort?

Also, with all the vodka talk, forgive my ignorance, but isn't really good vodka essentially flavorless.

Yes, I've had that classic Chicago brand as well as a new one by, I think, Leatherbee. It is like a completely dry absinthe and I thought the Leatherbee one was very good and very interesting.

As for vodka, my position on vodka is that vodka is what the distiller wants it to be (within the legal limits). Most domestic vodkas are rectified to a very high proof before being reduced to bottle proof, and thus have a limited opportunity for other flavor remnants of its distilation -- about 2%. But remember, the phenols that make Scotch unpalatable to some are about 0.005%, so it does not take a lot of a flavor compound to get a lot of flavor. Imported vodkas do not have to be rectified to that high proof, so they have more compounds left in them. If the distiller chooses to filter and try to make the vodka as tasteless as possible, that's their prerogative, but that is not necessarily the point -- and there is a beauty to the subtlety of flavors that most good vodka posesses.

~ H

Synthese

Darth Millennial
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have been drinking next to nothing aside from corpse revivers, cheap vinho verde (my favorite for spring, along with rose), and a red blend called Alias that's 8$ and must be one of the best value wines out there right now.

Krish the Fish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Never heard of crop vodka, but there are a TON of small batch companies coming out with new spirits... 3 such companies in town here (OYO, Watershed, Brothers Drake (if you count mead)). Still, I have yet to find one of the local small batch liquor offerings that is superior to the commercially available stuff, unfortunately.

Girlfriend and I are having a small housewarming party for her friends and mine on Friday. She's been really into "lemon shots" recently, so I think we were going to do a pre-mixed pitcher of those, a dispenser of some cocktail, and assorted wine and beer offerings (we have a ton of random wine and a 100 bottle beer sampler that her parents dropped off) and some hors d'oeuvres as well. Should be a good time, and a good way to kick off hosting parties at our place

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Never heard of crop vodka, but there are a TON of small batch companies coming out with new spirits... 3 such companies in town here (OYO, Watershed, Brothers Drake (if you count mead)). Still, I have yet to find one of the local small batch liquor offerings that is superior to the commercially available stuff, unfortunately.

Girlfriend and I are having a small housewarming party for her friends and mine on Friday. She's been really into "lemon shots" recently, so I think we were going to do a pre-mixed pitcher of those, a dispenser of some cocktail, and assorted wine and beer offerings (we have a ton of random wine and a 100 bottle beer sampler that her parents dropped off) and some hors d'oeuvres as well. Should be a good time, and a good way to kick off hosting parties at our place

Given that we're well into spring, might I suggest Pimm's Cup.

futuresailors

Reaction score
A John Daly with bourbon instead of vodka is also an excellent summer drink.
My own concoction is a the Sailor's Sweet Tea:
Iced dark tea, black rum (Goslings), a lemon wedge to fend off scurvy, and cane sugar to taste.

thewho13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For bourbon, Elijah Craig 12 year and Eagle Rare (the one with the black label) are far and away my favorites to drink. Four Roses Small Batch and Single Barrel are also incredible. Buffalo Trace only when I feel a little red on my neck.

Hendrix is always in the cabinet, but I need to try some Plymouth. Martin Millers is insanely smooth but I don't want to pay for it on the reg.

Vodka matters little to me since I don't drink it often. Tito's is just fine by me. I once tried Crop organic vodka and it was maybe the best thing I've ever had that you can legally call vodka. It tasted like cucumber water.

This summer I want to make a lot of French 75s (need some champagne or prosecco), margaritas, old fashioned daiquiris, and bourbon creams. I'll drink a lot of bourbon with a rock or two as well. Maybe some Moscow Mules, although I think they're a tad overrated.

Good god I love liquor so, so, so much.

KingJulien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen this mentioned here, but a margarita is a solid, easy-to-make summer drink:

2 shots white tequila (i like espolon)
juice of half a lime
1 shot cointreau

fill shaker glass with ice, shake 25-40 times depending on how strong you want your drink. strain & serve

ghdvfddzgzdzg

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

For bourbon, Elijah Craig 12 year and Eagle Rare (the one with the black label) are far and away my favorites to drink. Four Roses Small Batch and Single Barrel are also incredible. Buffalo Trace only when I feel a little red on my neck.

Hendrix is always in the cabinet, but I need to try some Plymouth. Martin Millers is insanely smooth but I don't want to pay for it on the reg.

Vodka matters little to me since I don't drink it often. Tito's is just fine by me. I once tried Crop organic vodka and it was maybe the best thing I've ever had that you can legally call vodka. It tasted like cucumber water.

This summer I want to make a lot of French 75s (need some champagne or prosecco), margaritas, old fashioned daiquiris, and bourbon creams. I'll drink a lot of bourbon with a rock or two as well. Maybe some Moscow Mules, although I think they're a tad overrated.

Good god I love liquor so, so, so much.

Word up. Elijah Craig 12 year is my go-to. Four Roses Single Barrel, I just got a bottle of. Top tier, better than the Craig. But Eagle rare is too much like Ancient Age for me. Can't deal with it. Have you had Elijah Craig 18, and if so, what did you think?

Hendricks is my favorite gin, but I've been branching out lately, and hey, just got a bottle of Plymouth. I like it more than Millers for everything I'm doing--negronis and variants thereof, martinis, and pink gin. Plymouth and Millers are about the same price here, btw.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads