1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The Not Even Slightly Official SW+D Booze and Cocktail Thread***

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Synthese, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored Moderator

I just did something with rye and fernet and campari and bitters and a good basque vermouth that doesn't taste as good as it did when I fussed with the same thing using gin, but didn't taste bad either. In fact, it tasted so not bad that I did it a second time.

1 person likes this.
  2. dmash

dmash Senior member

I'd try without the fernet and add a citrus twist.

3. MarkI

MarkI Senior member

Trying to hold onto the last bits of warm weather

Muddle cucumber and mint, add

2 Plymouth Gin
    1 Lime
    .75 St Germain
    .25 Agave
    1 dash ango

shake heavily.

i think it looks great served in a coupe with a thin lime wheel

4. fireflygrave

fireflygrave Senior member

Yessss, sazeracs rule. I need to get my bar back together asap so I can put a good one together. So far the sazerac pickings are slim since moving away from NO. What's your absinthe of choice?

Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
  5. dmash

dmash Senior member

@fireflygrave
    [​IMG]

Some people might say it's overkill for a Saz, but I think it's just right. Don't blow $ on St. George, idk why it's so popular, should be like $15-$20.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  6. TactileOne

TactileOne Senior member

Ah a good Mezcal, fresh lime juice, and a bit of agave mix. If you like smoke Mezcals the way to go.

7. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

Y'all also have to try the New Pal -- Negroni but with rye. I like to up the vermouth slightly.

~ H

8. Krish the Fish

Krish the Fish Senior member

Went to a buddy's Halloween party. Brought some snacks (courtesy of my girlfriend) and I made a apple pie punch that was fantastic:

1 L Flor de Cana (dark rum)
    750 mL Fireball Cinnamon Whiskey (or whatever you'd prefer for cinnamon flavor)
    1.5 gallons Apple Cider
    1 lb apple, sliced for garnish

Pour together over ice in a punch bowl/dispenser. Eat beforehand, and don't end up in the spare bedroom at the end of the night because of an extra hour due to daylight savings, stealth drunk, and pizza by the slice

9. marvin100

marvin100 Senior member

10. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

5 people like this.
  11. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

12. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

Someone recommend me a moderately sized wine cooler/cabinet thing. Ideally something that can store champagne or other types of bottles too? This won't be going under any counters. Would prefer if it didn't sound like a jet engine and give off more heat than a coal plant.

PS '02 Pol Roger Sir Winston Churchill >>>> just about any other champagne I've had in that price range.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
  13. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

Been cooking through the Ottolenghi book Nopi (see the SW&D Food thread for food pics) but there's also a bunch of cocktails. The lady and I made some rooibos syrup for a roibos old fashioned, and now we have a bottle of frenet branca to use. I've been making Torontos, because a food poisoning association with vermouth makes me unable to drink Manhattans, which would be otherwise be something I really liked.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  14. ghdvfddzgzdzg

ghdvfddzgzdzg Senior member

Sounds dope.

I made some basil simple syrup this weekend that I'll be turning into basil sour mix tonight before trying it out. I think this thread told me to do that like 3 years ago, so thanks guys

15. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

There is such a broad range of sweet vermouth available today that they are similar only in name, and I am sure that you could get away from the taste memory with a vermouth on the end of the range. I will assume that the association is probably with Martini & Rossi, so, I'd consider Dolin Rouge for a fruity, winey, and very light vermouth -- this is a French sweet, and totally different from the M&R Turin style. The other option is Punt E Mes, which is a cross between a vermouth and an amaro. Since you drink Fernet that might work. You could also add a barspoon of Fernet to your Manhattans.

Lastly, Lillet Rouge makes a very decent Manhattan on its own -- very wine-y.

~H

16. marvin100

marvin100 Senior member

All that is true. Find a vermouth you can like!