The non-tweedy tweed thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by radicaldog, Mar 17, 2013.

1. radicaldog

radicaldog Senior member

Many here like tweed. Some of them live in cities, and/or are under 87, and/or don't like looking like extras from All Creatures Great and Small. I think it's also desirable to avoid Pitti-esque looks. So, let's collect a few pictures for inspiration purposes. The ensembles posted need not be perfect, so long as they provide some interesting ideas for how to wear tweed in non-costumey ways. I'll start:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Interestingly, it seems to me that all the above ensembles look/would have looked better without pocket squares.

2. Master Squirrel

Master Squirrel Senior member

Okay. I guess I live in a city where tweed is a regular feature... so I am not sure what you mean about the "costumey ways". Unless people are trying to look like us again -- Williamsburg, NY... I am looking at you. The photos are about what you'd find on the street here -- 'cept more Peruvian knit hats and gloves. In fact it being March, a good tweed jacket would be an excellent choice out and around the lakes in the pub today (or being St. Patricks) .

Are you in a part of the world where tweed is costumey?

3. radicaldog

radicaldog Senior member

^ Not at all -- I'm in England. But even here a man in his early thirties does look a bit ridiculous in tweed coat, flannel trousers, heavy brogues, paisley tie, etc.

4. Axelman 17

Axelman 17 Senior member

I was all in on this look until you got to the end bit....

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013

5. radicaldog

radicaldog Senior member

[​IMG]

No paisley, equally or more bucolic:

[​IMG]

6. johanm

johanm Senior member

I'm with you. I'm only comfortable wearing tweed with jeans or casual cotton pants. Sweater ok but no tie.

7. Master Squirrel

Master Squirrel Senior member

Okay, you are making sense to me now. Tweed is often paired with jeans here.

8. AmericanGent

AmericanGent Senior member

I just purchased a tweed suit w/ moleskin waistcoat from Walker Slater of Edinburgh, Scotland. It will be here on Monday.
    The reason I post this here is that I believe that they are taking classic tweed and making it work for 25-45 years olds. If you are looking for a more modern cut tweed item this might be a good store for you to check out. You might find a piece that you can use in a non-traditional setting.

Their online store is not up yet, but should be soon: http://www.walkerslater.com/

Here is the tweed I purchased- pictures sent to me from Issy, a very helpful employee of WS. I went with the brown waistcoat.

[​IMG]

P.S. The tweed cloth is woven in Scotland, but the suits are made in Spain.

-edited for spelling

Last edited: Apr 12, 2013