• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

the non Manton guide to conservative business dress

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
00050f.jpg

Shoes That Work

2. Plain-Toe

If you want something sharper and sleeker, go with a slim plain-toed lace-up. It's dressier than a cap-toe and can be worn with a tuxedo to formal events. But you can also wear it on the weekend with jeans and a blazer.

Bally, $450.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

jackassery

Reaction score
I liked the $11K cartier watch they threw in there. Its nice to think the same people that are building their business wardrobes also fancy $11,000 watches.

Bandwagonesque

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
$800 Armani shirts, $400 D Squared shirts? More like the Idiot With Money's Guide to conservative business dress.

I liked some of the photos though.

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQ Rules
3. The Solid Black Suit

It used to be that a black suit wasn't a safe choice for the office, but these days it's a staple. Just make sure yours is cut on the slim side and fits correctly. (However you feel about your job, you don't want to look like you work in a funeral home.) Click on the NEXT button below for the season's best black suits, in three price points.

Our Manton will not be happy with that

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bandwagonesque
$800 Armani shirts, $400 D Squared shirts? More like the Idiot With Money's Guide to conservative business dress.

I liked some of the photos though.

actually 895 armani ties. To think I hestitate at getting kiton at one fifth of that.

Going through the whole thing, I think that overall, it's not too bad. Short of coming over to the forum for a sartorial 'edukashun' it's reasonable, albeit with a nod of the hat to their advertisers.

Bally shoes for 450! I wouldn't buy Scribes for 450 never mind 'mainline.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Anyone who looks to GQ for an understanding of conservative business dress is asking for trouble.

Countertenor

Reaction score
What's with all the freakin' bluchers? Can a brother get an oxford?

johnnyblazini

Reaction score
"It used to be that a black suit wasn't a safe choice for the office, today its a staple"

I think I just heard Manton's brain explode...
plain.gif

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
For the thousandth time:

In the original (and only) black suit thread in which I have ever participated, my objection was not so much to the black suit itself but to the "flat earth" style of argumentation exhibited by one particular poster.

I said then and I've said many times since that I don't care if people wear black suits. Yes, I think they are ugly, but so what? I've also conceded many times that the ship has sailed and the old prohibition has been repealed. Black suits are here to stay.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnnyblazini
"It used to be that a black suit wasn't a safe choice for the office, today its a staple"

I think I just heard Manton's brain explode...
plain.gif

Nevermind manton, MY head just exploded. How I've come to loathe black suits...

Etienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Countertenor
What's with all the freakin' bluchers? Can a brother get an oxford?
Indeed. Most of the advice was not that bad (except maybe insisting that much on slim fit and black suits), but why no oxfords?

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I actually enjoyed 90% of the stuff in that article. Fairly timeless looks if you ask me. Though, the slim silouhettes seem less conservative conservative business dress and more fashion, youth-oriented. But, totally agree, the nod to GQs advertisers was more than apparent, and the smart ones would be wise to recreate the looks with more quality-oriented, lower-priced items.

I actually loved that there were no Oxfords. I love me some bluchers!
devil.gif

Augusto86

Sean Penn's Mexican love child
Reaction score
The looks were good, the brands were off.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads