• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Noble Shoe - Carlos Santos, Maftei Vienna, Crockett & Jones, Paolo Scafora - Official Affiliate Thread

Encore

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Basically it is StCs without the hollowed out lasted trees, and only slightly less refinement in finishing. At almost half the price.
I would take away the "slightly", the difference on finishing is quite visible but explainable by the price difference.
SC's Crust leather tend to crease more than other crusts, not sure why, some love them but some really dislike them. For the later, I think the Veg Tan leather from ZB would be a great chocie.

Note: never tried the aniline leather from SC which should perform way better (only talking about the creasing) than Crust, but come with less colors.

deez shoes

Reaction score
I would take away the "slightly", the difference on finishing is quite visible but explainable by the price difference.
SC's Crust leather tend to crease more than other crusts, not sure why, some love them but some really dislike them. For the later, I think the Veg Tan leather from ZB would be a great chocie.

Note: never tried the aniline leather from SC which should perform way better (only talking about the creasing) than Crust, but come with less colors.
For the value that ZB offers, you really don't see much interest from SF folks. I even have a hard time selling them on eBay.

Encore

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For the value that ZB offers, you really don't see much interest from SF folks. I even have a hard time selling them on eBay.
Although I don’t have any sale data to understand how well ZB does, but I don’t think the second hand market is a good indicator of it. (For example, AM/ SB/ PS second hands don’t sell so well on eBay)

I don’t think Zonkey spent too much effort on marketing, their ins account is pretty dead this year. That’s probably why they didn’t get too much attention, both SF and other platforms that I used.

However, the package they offer (good leather, handwelt with nice finishing, various lasts, flexible mto options) seem to be something that SFer would appreciate, in my opinion.

deez shoes

Reaction score
Although I don’t have any sale data to understand how well ZB does, but I don’t think the second hand market is a good indicator of it. (For example, AM/ SB/ PS second hands don’t sell so well on eBay)

I don’t think Zonkey spent too much effort on marketing, their ins account is pretty dead this year. That’s probably why they didn’t get too much attention, both SF and other platforms that I used.

However, the package they offer (good leather, handwelt with nice finishing, various lasts, flexible mto options) seem to be something that SFer would appreciate, in my opinion.
Nah I was using other US retailers as an indicator like gentlemen's footwear and skyvalet. Even that one obscure Canadian shop that carried ZB was only able to unload their stock at 60percent off.

Noel77

Reaction score
Hello Kotas,

Any new stock of the handgrade coming in? I'm looking for some shoes in that price range. Just joined after long time lurking.

Encore

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nah I was using other US retailers as an indicator like gentlemen's footwear and skyvalet. Even that one obscure Canadian shop that carried ZB was only able to unload their stock at 60percent off.
I see, I am aware of the Canadian Store you mentioned, my only ZB was actually bought there, their instep is too high for me but glad I picked a Chukka which allows me to adjust instep more, but I don't intend to buy any more ZB at the moment.

But frankly, I like ZB a lot, just too many options that fit me better or otherwise I will try to do some MTM with them.

Noblekostas

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hello Kotas,

Any new stock of the handgrade coming in? I'm looking for some shoes in that price range. Just joined after long time lurking.
Hey Noel, I assume you are the one I just shipped the shoes to today!

New Handgrade models will be the balmoral suede calf boot otherwise the other available options are on the group made to order page (the oxford in patina and the single monk)

Noel77

Reaction score
Hey Noel, I assume you are the one I just shipped the shoes to today!

New Handgrade models will be the balmoral suede calf boot otherwise the other available options are on the group made to order page (the oxford in patina and the single monk)
Thanks Kostas, I'll check them out. CS seems to be the option for me at this price range.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I wouldn't say the finishing is vastly different. The lasts are quite similar. In fact, we know who made those lovely StCs lasts. The other point is the crust you mentioned. For the fact that it creases more, it would even the field with ZB. Additionally, StC's get that antiqued and worn look really quickly. Much quicker than ZB.
Although, with the level of refinement, StC still offers a nicer package.

Overall for the price and what is offered in the entire package presented, ZB is hard to beat. Again, StC does gets the nod because they come off as more refined but is the price difference justified at 1.5x (maybe 2x)? That is entirely subjective, but I'd probably lean no.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I can't warm up to ZB for dress boots, I'm definitely biased against StC. I can see if I want for cheap might as well get some CJ Blamoral boot or spend up a bit to get AM (though his wingtip boot is a bit busy).

p.s. I had Jodhpurs, it looked good, but always find it more of a hassle to wear (even though it's simpler than lacing, but I just find it "annoying" for whatever reason), thus sold it...

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't warm up to ZB for dress boots, I'm definitely biased against StC. I can see if I want for cheap might as well get some CJ Blamoral boot or spend up a bit to get AM (though his wingtip boot is a bit busy).

p.s. I had Jodhpurs, it looked good, but always find it more of a hassle to wear (even though it's simpler than lacing, but I just find it "annoying" for whatever reason), thus sold it...
StC also makes beautiful boots. I figured I'd save you some coins by bringing up ZB.

That's funny about your experience with Jodhpurs. I'm the opposite. Very easy to wear. For some odd reason, I always fumble around with the laces and speed hooks.

acapaca

Reaction score
I have a pair of ZB chelseas that I've only worn a time or two, and a pair of StC sort of monkstrap ankle boots that I've not yet worn at all. I guess there's not necessarily a whole lot to look at in the way of detail on the chelseas, but they do give a very satisfying impression in most every way. I find the fit in the heel quite intriguing, the way it's kinda higher on the inside. I think I've read that explained somewhere on this board, but I can't recall exactly what's supposed to be going on there. I definitely feel great support, though. And the fit through the vamp and around the ankle/shaft is miles different from that of any other brand of chelsea I've tried on. I'm impressed.

That said, I picked up a pair of ZB derbies off eBay that I was a fair amount less impressed with, but a large part of that may be because they don't fit me as well. As for the StC boots, I'm waiting to get a chance to wear them in cooler weather, as man, they are very, very heavy.

deez shoes

Reaction score
I have a pair of ZB chelseas that I've only worn a time or two, and a pair of StC sort of monkstrap ankle boots that I've not yet worn at all. I guess there's not necessarily a whole lot to look at in the way of detail on the chelseas, but they do give a very satisfying impression in most every way. I find the fit in the heel quite intriguing, the way it's kinda higher on the inside. I think I've read that explained somewhere on this board, but I can't recall exactly what's supposed to be going on there. I definitely feel great support, though. And the fit through the vamp and around the ankle/shaft is miles different from that of any other brand of chelsea I've tried on. I'm impressed.

That said, I picked up a pair of ZB derbies off eBay that I was a fair amount less impressed with, but a large part of that may be because they don't fit me as well. As for the StC boots, I'm waiting to get a chance to wear them in cooler weather, as man, they are very, very heavy.
I actually get a better fit/support and less heal slip from my ZB loafer than my StC loafers.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How did Covid-19 impact your personal style?

• My style hasn't changed at all.

• My wardrobe hasn't changed but I am wearing casual clothes more often.

• I invested in new good quality leisure and casual clothes.

• I invested in new sartorial clothes taking advantage of the sales.

• I purged my closet during quarantine and I have nothing left to wear.

Results are only viewable after voting.