• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Noble Shoe - Carlos Santos, Maftei Vienna, Crockett & Jones, Paolo Scafora - Official Affiliate Thread

Fliegerguy

Reaction score
To be brutally blunt, this store is just picking up the brands that SkoaB dropped, and for good reason they did.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is L&T “better” than CS? I bought some L&T on cheap as beater, to be honest not that impressed (though no experience with CS). I would say CS aesthetic is very different than L&T though.

WhyUEarly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is L&T “better” than CS? I bought some L&T on cheap as beater, to be honest not that impressed (though no experience with CS). I would say CS aesthetic is very different than L&T though.
Carlos Santos is much better imo than Lof&Tung. The lasts and patina are much better. Guess people really wanted the personalization with L&T...

I think if SkoAb stocked more subdued Paolo Scafora models like what Kostas chose, they would have sold better but SkoAb pulled the plug pretty quickly.

monkey66

Reaction score
Perhaps don't answer on here but have you spoken to the site owners about a rent reduction? Many landlords have taken a short term hit so as not to loose all their customers in troubled times.

It is hard to imagine a queue of new suppliers in the luxury/formal clothing industry fighting for copy space right now.

Noblekostas

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Only thing I would add is check what it means by no one buy through SF, there used to be a lot lurkers who never register. Though I suppose Reddit serve same purpose these days.

though I just did a quick google on “where to buy Carlos Santos” your come up 2nd to their official site, also searches for Carlos Santos Review this thread doesn’t pop (the CS thread did), so I guess this thread is quite hard to reach.

To reach what AM did is not easy though, that was probably a bit lucky accident with his construction being weighted by guys and bunch GMTO through a few of the members. The product itself differentiate a lot more.
Carlos Santos review will show up for my blog first and that redirects to my website :)

Noblekostas

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
To be brutally blunt, this store is just picking up the brands that SkoaB dropped, and for good reason they did.
I will actually tell you why I picked the brands that I did:

1) Santos was my first purchase from that shop. A pair of double monks. I did pick it up as a starting brand for the reason you mention, but only because I fell in love with the brand. I have thought about adding many brands to the shop, however as I felt with Crockett, I should only carry brands that can be commercial and that I have a passion when talking about.
2) Crockett was a substitute for Vass, because Vass is impossible to work with.
3) Scafora I ended up picking because Meccariello introduced us as he couldn't work with me due to too much work.

In short, I picked up what I loved and what I considered opportunities with potential!

Fliegerguy

Reaction score
I will actually tell you why I picked the brands that I did:

1) Santos was my first purchase from that shop. A pair of double monks. I did pick it up as a starting brand for the reason you mention, but only because I fell in love with the brand. I have thought about adding many brands to the shop, however as I felt with Crockett, I should only carry brands that can be commercial and that I have a passion when talking about.
2) Crockett was a substitute for Vass, because Vass is impossible to work with.
3) Scafora I ended up picking because Meccariello introduced us as he couldn't work with me due to too much work.

In short, I picked up what I loved and what I considered opportunities with potential!
I understand the merits of these brands and I have the utmost respect for them.

I was answering from the viewpoint of commerical viability. Besides having existing retailers before your site came along, the barrier to market entry for potentially new competitors to pick up these brands are low.

Furthermore, the general SFer will probably prefer to purchase from the merchant direct for the said shoe brands, unless there is a sale. Noted that you have tried to differentiate yourself by offering unique colour offerings not available otherwise.

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To me the "nobody really buys something through SF" seals it. If the site is not improving business there is no financial justification for continuing it.
It also sounds like you are prioritizing what actually improves your business which is what you should be doing.

Put up the For Sale sign and kiss this site & thread goodbye.

I believe a non-official thread should be able to generate GMTOs. You are also available through email, so anyone here would have access to you. If AM can do it without an official thread and has more business than he can count, then by golly you can as well.

In terms of improvements, I feel like you have done precisely what is required of you. The packing and site could be improved, but you are aware of that. The lineup of shoes outside of CS is varied. Price wise and style wise you have it covered.

As already mentioned, the pandemic discourages purchases because of the unknown and people reassess the "need" for another pair of anything. Once this passes and people return to work, I would imagine business should pick up. Until then, save those pennies for the stuff that matters.

Additionally, you can always come back. It doesn't have to be gone forever. It can be gone for now.
This, @Noblekostas - IMO, you're doing most things right; it's just bad timing (mostly because of the C-19 response).

Speaking for myself, I came late to the shoe collecting obsession, so I only have about 3 dozen pair at the moment, but I also often think "What the hell do I need 3 dozen pairs of shoes for!?" I haven't been to the office in 6 months, and we've only been out for dinner or drinks a handful of times since our state started to open up again. It's hard to justify buying more shoes at the moment.

And I'd add that closing down your affiliate thread doesn't mean you have to be gone from Style Forum completely; I first noticed you here before you had this thread (back when you used to have to post pictures without your watermark and couldn't advertise your store in your sig), and I found your store back then, too, because I liked the stuff you were posting and went looking. Other people probably did, and will do, the same.

WIshing you the best whatever you decide to do. Hang in there.

Noblekostas

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I understand the merits of these brands and I have the utmost respect for them.

I was answering from the viewpoint of commerical viability. Besides having existing retailers before your site came along, the barrier to market entry for potentially new competitors to pick up these brands are low.

Furthermore, the general SFer will probably prefer to purchase from the merchant direct for the said shoe brands, unless there is a sale. Noted that you have tried to differentiate yourself by offering unique colour offerings not available otherwise.
Agreed to everything you said :)

Noblekostas

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
The Algarve Carlos Santos Monks that are on the website :) Better pics like this will be uploaded soon.
DSC02205.jpg

norMD

Reaction score
I really like this thread and find it much better than when you had to post without watermarks. Still, I understand your need for cost controll. And that should be your primary concern as a small Company.

Alot of the official threads seams to lose popularity after some time and particularly when the shop owners stop updating.

You can probably get similar exposure through IG and we can name-drop you in the CS and CJ thread.

I hope you keep the thread alive, but understand if you choose to close it. I think many of us will follow you on IG anyway.

Noblekostas

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I really like this thread and find it much better than when you had to post without watermarks. Still, I understand your need for cost controll. And that should be your primary concern as a small Company.

Alot of the official threads seams to lose popularity after some time and particularly when the shop owners stop updating.

You can probably get similar exposure through IG and we can name-drop you in the CS and CJ thread.

I hope you keep the thread alive, but understand if you choose to close it. I think many of us will follow you on IG anyway.
Appreciate the kind words :) I will be assessing in the following month

Reaction score
As someone who's new to the life of nice shoes, i enjoy the selection you have for CS; my bank account wouldn't, but my eyes do. I especially like the mid-brown suede LWBs you have with the storm welt and think about it constantly as a Fall/Winter shoe i'd like (the only thing stopping me would be that it'd be my 2nd LWB in a small collection which well isn't necessarily a problem... just y'know scarcity of funds and whatnot.. though now that i think about it, the thick-boy dainite and the suede is enough of a differentiator...).

I follow you on IG and have no doubt in your timeliness of response should I want to inquire about something (whether e-mail, IG) so really, the only new thing I get from here (SF) is the fun of lurking about and seeing what other people have to say.

Noblekostas

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
As someone who's new to the life of nice shoes, i enjoy the selection you have for CS; my bank account wouldn't, but my eyes do. I especially like the mid-brown suede LWBs you have with the storm welt and think about it constantly as a Fall/Winter shoe i'd like (the only thing stopping me would be that it'd be my 2nd LWB in a small collection which well isn't necessarily a problem... just y'know scarcity of funds and whatnot.. though now that i think about it, the thick-boy dainite and the suede is enough of a differentiator...).

I follow you on IG and have no doubt in your timeliness of response should I want to inquire about something (whether e-mail, IG) so really, the only new thing I get from here (SF) is the fun of lurking about and seeing what other people have to say.
Appreciate the kind words :) Interesting (honest) fact. The LWB has been the worst performer from all the shoes I have ever stocked barring Crockett. I don't know why it is a beautiful shoe and i thought it would appeal to the US public. Glad it is part of the stock service and I don't need inventory.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Most Interesting Fashion Collaboration of 2020

• JW Anderson x Uniqlo

• Nigo x Virgil Abloh

• Converse x Midnight Studios

• Rick Owens x Champion

• Barbour x Engineered Garments

• Adidas x Bed JW Ford

• Jordan Brand x Dior

• Billie Eilish x Takashi Murakami