• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Noble Shoe - Carlos Santos, Maftei Vienna, Crockett & Jones, Paolo Scafora - Official Affiliate Thread

Noblekostas

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
It's really none of my business how any retailer ships its products, but this does not add up. Shoes aren't pillows -- especially with trees in them! -- and unless you put them in a refrigerator box you aren't going to have to worry about dimensional weight. I'm getting ready to move house, and I was able to readily find some stock size cardboard boxes that fit over all but my largest shoe boxes with a little but not too much room to spare (a couple brands, which I can't remember off the top of my head right now, ran a little too long...maybe Carmina was one). They cost less than a dollar apiece, and no, they won't even come close to changing the dimensional weight if I were to ship them one at a time. Not even close.

They also don't weigh a full kilo (or anywhere near), meaning in many cases they won't even step up the shipping charges by weight. But even if they *were* to step up the charges to the next kilo, I can't imagine where you'd be shipping that a marginal kilo is an extra 20-30 dollars. Again, it's none of my business, but maybe someone has given you some bad information.
I have been looking at custom boxes for the past 3 months and the plan already was to introduce them somewhere between the next 3-6 months. The issue is it costs way more in Sweden for me, plus if I am honest I am out of space to store 300-500 boxes. I am working on it, including sock gifts and a custom branded wrap paper.

An extra 20-30$ is a lot by the way. I don't have any financial backing from anyone, I managed to do all this with my savings and currently every dollar saved, means I can improve the service slowly but steadily. If you follow the thread, you will see that I have done a lot of quality of life improvements since February, which includes app subscriptions on the website as trivial as getting a carousel of photos while browsing among other small changes.

Now don't get me wrong, feedback and experience from you, customers and other enthusiasts is appreciated AND desired VERY MUCH! It is how I become better. And if the box (although so far it has worked perfectly) requires improvement, then it shall be done.

I think that the most important thing out of this conversation has been to always reach out to the customer service first. Give them a 2 minute call, it's so easy and in most cases, they want to help you. Even though this was a Patina custom item (luckily in a stocked color) with no returns, I wouldn't hesitate a second to take it back if Frank, or anyone else considered it sub-par or not what they expected.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's really none of my business how any retailer ships its products, but this does not add up. Shoes aren't pillows -- especially with trees in them! -- and unless you put them in a refrigerator box you aren't going to have to worry about dimensional weight. I'm getting ready to move house, and I was able to readily find some stock size cardboard boxes that fit over all but my largest shoe boxes with a little but not too much room to spare (a couple brands, which I can't remember off the top of my head right now, ran a little too long...maybe Carmina was one). They cost less than a dollar apiece, and no, they won't even come close to changing the dimensional weight if I were to ship them one at a time. Not even close.

They also don't weigh a full kilo (or anywhere near), meaning in many cases they won't even step up the shipping charges by weight. But even if they *were* to step up the charges to the next kilo, I can't imagine where you'd be shipping that a marginal kilo is an extra 20-30 dollars. Again, it's none of my business, but maybe someone has given you some bad information.
Which again, I believe it would only be fair for the customer to incur the extra costs. I mean almost every other business charges shipping either outright or hidden within the total cost.

deez shoes

Reaction score
I have been looking at custom boxes for the past 3 months and the plan already was to introduce them somewhere between the next 3-6 months. The issue is it costs way more in Sweden for me, plus if I am honest I am out of space to store 300-500 boxes. I am working on it, including sock gifts and a custom branded wrap paper.

An extra 20-30$ is a lot by the way. I don't have any financial backing from anyone, I managed to do all this with my savings and currently every dollar saved, means I can improve the service slowly but steadily. If you follow the thread, you will see that I have done a lot of quality of life improvements since February, which includes app subscriptions on the website as trivial as getting a carousel of photos while browsing among other small changes.

Now don't get me wrong, feedback and experience from you, customers and other enthusiasts is appreciated AND desired VERY MUCH! It is how I become better. And if the box (although so far it has worked perfectly) requires improvement, then it shall be done.

I think that the most important thing out of this conversation has been to always reach out to the customer service first. Give them a 2 minute call, it's so easy and in most cases, they want to help you. Even though this was a Patina custom item (luckily in a stocked color) with no returns, I wouldn't hesitate a second to take it back if Frank, or anyone else considered it sub-par or not what they expected.
Patina custom, again, crust leather.

dukenukem4ever

Reaction score
Which again, I believe it would only be fair for the customer to incur the extra costs. I mean almost every other business charges shipping either outright or hidden within the total cost.
honestly so many retailers and even shoe comapnies charge for shipping. people should NOT be complaining bout shipping mishaps here and there when it's FREE.

fulham - charges 34 EUR shipping minium
alfred sargent mail order - 35 GBP shipping
edward green - 50 GBP shipping
Gaziano - 50 GBP shipping

yah, list goes on.

Noblekostas

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
honestly so many retailers and even shoe comapnies charge for shipping. people should NOT be complaining bout shipping mishaps here and there when it's FREE.

fulham - charges 34 EUR shipping minium
alfred sargent mail order - 35 GBP shipping
edward green - 50 GBP shipping
Gaziano - 50 GBP shipping

yah, list goes on.
Thanks for sharing :) it’s true, and my return label will cost you just 25$ it’s not a terrible deal. As long as I can I will be offering free shipping :)

acapaca

Reaction score
As luck would have it, my Oct Tenth order came just now, so I can offer you one comparison, for what that's worth. I do appreciate your willingness (eagerness even, perhaps you could say) to not just accept feedback but even encourage it -- across the board, when it comes to potential product offerings and such, I mean. You do seem more 'in tune' with your customers than any other merchant I know!

Look how compact this outer box is. It fits that inner box like a glove. To me, if you at all care about this sort of thing, this kind of presentation instills confidence. Looks like a super-solid product (coming from a super-solid vendor, I have to assume).

photo_2020-08-05_15-28-54.jpg

photo_2020-08-05_15-28-59.jpg

photo_2020-08-05_15-29-05.jpg

The outer box weights 145 grams. The inner box weighs 2.1 kilos. So technically, they would have been paying for 3 kilos either way (unless their shipping contract allows for half kilos). Or they could claim their own weight (which might be more likely), in which case the inner box by itself could certainly pass for 2 kilos, though I imagine the whole 2.25 might also, as long as we're rounding down.

Plain box, basic cardboard, probably costs 50 cents or so if bought (and stored) in bulk. Did they get 50 cents out of 'brand value' out of it with me? I bet they may well have. (Then again, I will confess that I used to do work in related areas, and I would insist that the shippers placed the label parallel to the edges, as SoH has done here, as opposed to haphazardly stuck anywhere, at any angle, because I believe that all impressions are formed as a combination of little things.)

You may notice that it's the SoH box and not the Oct Tenth, as those were damaged in transit to the vendor. I chose to take the SoH box instead of waiting for the Oct Tenth, and if it came to it I'd probably have taken no box at all just to get them when I did. See, it's not all just having a pristine box (though I'm glad that I now do for these!). To me it's the impressions that are more important. People form brand/vendor loyalty for a whole slew of their own reasons.

Noblekostas

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
As luck would have it, my Oct Tenth order came just now, so I can offer you one comparison, for what that's worth. I do appreciate your willingness (eagerness even, perhaps you could say) to not just accept feedback but even encourage it -- across the board, when it comes to potential product offerings and such, I mean. You do seem more 'in tune' with your customers than any other merchant I know!

Look how compact this outer box is. It fits that inner box like a glove. To me, if you at all care about this sort of thing, this kind of presentation instills confidence. Looks like a super-solid product (coming from a super-solid vendor, I have to assume).

View attachment 1436179

View attachment 1436180

View attachment 1436181

The outer box weights 145 grams. The inner box weighs 2.1 kilos. So technically, they would have been paying for 3 kilos either way (unless their shipping contract allows for half kilos). Or they could claim their own weight (which might be more likely), in which case the inner box by itself could certainly pass for 2 kilos, though I imagine the whole 2.25 might also, as long as we're rounding down.

Plain box, basic cardboard, probably costs 50 cents or so if bought (and stored) in bulk. Did they get 50 cents out of 'brand value' out of it with me? I bet they may well have. (Then again, I will confess that I used to do work in related areas, and I would insist that the shippers placed the label parallel to the edges, as SoH has done here, as opposed to haphazardly stuck anywhere, at any angle, because I believe that all impressions are formed as a combination of little things.)

You may notice that it's the SoH box and not the Oct Tenth, as those were damaged in transit to the vendor. I chose to take the SoH box instead of waiting for the Oct Tenth, and if it came to it I'd probably have taken no box at all just to get them when I did. See, it's not all just having a pristine box (though I'm glad that I now do for these!). To me it's the impressions that are more important. People form brand/vendor loyalty for a whole slew of their own reasons.
Hey! Thanks for the encouraging words and taking the time to type an elaborate post!

funny thing is, I talked Tom from SoH yesterday, as I consider him a good friend. He gave me advice and even linked me to his custom box guy and how he stores them, including pricing and dimensions.

if I can get it in Sweden it’s definitely worth it and something that I will explore in the upcoming weeks, and slowly phase it out during autumn.

I have to be in tune with all of you, you are the ones that keep me alive and motivated. I appreciate all your feedback very very much.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You had too much fun with the slogan :p looks clean another thought instead of open left and right, how about the box MrPorter or Ralph Lauren comes in (or guys ship clothe), open front then lift up. So top view is all clean (which is what you have vs SoH)

PS assuming not cost hack a lot more...

Noblekostas

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
You had too much fun with the slogan :p looks clean another thought instead of open left and right, how about the box MrPorter or Ralph Lauren comes in (or guys ship clothe), open front then lift up. So top view is all clean (which is what you have vs SoH)

PS assuming not cost hack a lot more...
Haha yes I did.

this was the original basic idea, or just the logo. We shall see. It’s much more expensive in Sweden I would need to lay 2000$ in this...56CF27C7-BCE0-465F-974F-5381A1886EC7.jpeg

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
throw out the Goodyear Welted too probably, don't know what's a better slogan though...

Noblekostas

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
throw out the Goodyear Welted too probably, don't know what's a better slogan though...
It’s ok, in the end I’ll put what ever expresses me :) the prices in Sweden are 2-4 times more than what Tom gets in Belgium I am a sad panda :( but I will make it work.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How did Covid-19 impact your personal style?

• My style hasn't changed at all.

• My wardrobe hasn't changed but I am wearing casual clothes more often.

• I invested in new good quality leisure and casual clothes.

• I invested in new sartorial clothes taking advantage of the sales.

• I purged my closet during quarantine and I have nothing left to wear.

Results are only viewable after voting.