• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Noble Shoe - Carlos Santos, Maftei Vienna, Crockett & Jones, Paolo Scafora - Official Affiliate Thread

Zerase

Reaction score
You Americans should know that according to EU regulations, shops here are obliged to accept returns for whatever reason the customer has. Shipping is paid for by the customer unless the seller agrees that there is a fault in the item purchased. Then the seller is the one paying for the return. I think Kostas handled this fair and square and @Res if that was a horrible experience, you have lived a very happy life. I am envious!

deez shoes

Reaction score
Oh I know crust leather all to well and opt for museum when possible if Im looking for that patina look.

I didn't get that at all. I found it most comments siding with TheNobleShoe and telling Res to accept it and it's normal to have. I have seen plenty of unboxing reviews and nothings perfect, but when I looked at the photo I posted above through a critical lens it looks quite bad for a new pair with zero wear.
Exactly, definitely a matter of perspective.

I shared my experience to be used as a measuring stick and not for sake of conformity. Just like you when you reference unboxing videos, except I used my personal unboxing experience.

Plus we pretty much both agree it wasn't caused by wear and I said that he has any right to address any QC issues with the vendor and that he was in good hands with Kostas which he was. Sounds like a happy ending to me.

acapaca

Reaction score
I don't think the shoes themselves look like something to really worry about, or at least not for a 300-dollar pair, though I can certainly understand why the guy would have been disappointed to see them that way right out of the box. I do fully appreciate that even small cosmetic blemishes could be the difference in walking and purchasing if it were a brick-and-mortar experience, so there's that. I guess I'm just more pragmatic about it all when dealing with online purchases, though, especially if it's not a basic in-stock item -- but even in that case, the hassle of returning and waiting for a replacement is, to me, not worth the few moments of delight and satisfaction of seeing the beautifully pristine product before you put it on your foot and scrape it on the floor and steal away all its virgin charm.

To share one little personal anecdote, I recently received a pair of 800-dollar shoes with edge dressing paint fairly obviously smeared on the upper in a couple places. Struck me as odd that I'd see it immediately upon opening the package, but whoever dropped them in the box didn't catch it or didn't think it was a problem. The merchant suggested a couple ways I could try to get rid of it, and I thought...'well, okay, if it's so easy then why didn't you take care of that yourself before you sent them my way?'. I mean, we're talking about an operation that can't be handling more than a handful or two of shoes a day, I wouldn't think. It didn't give me the greatest impression, to be sure, but I also knew that it would be an absolutely unidentifiable part of the patina after a bit of treatment and just a few wears, so I waved it off. I also, in a way, think that when we have the delightful opportunity to deal with these craftsmen and proprietors personally and directly, it's like we are in this together. Meaning, if the workshop made a little blemish here or there on my pair, part of that is just the luck or the individual nature of it all, and I'm not going to expect the company to go out of its way to make sure that I get a pair that is, for a few brief moments, flawless in every respect, and I certainly wouldn't expect them to have to suffer any expense in the way of returns. Ultimately, you can't ask others to bear all those kinds of costs entirely, without passing part of them on to you. And again, hell, it just makes it part of the entire enjoyable experience.

Now, having said that, I'm kinda shocked at the attitude that sending the shoe box without a shipping box is a-okay. It strikes me as evidence that a business doesn't fully understand its customer. By that I mean, for at least some people who are buying high-end shoes, or at least those who are buying more than the few pair they might actually 'need', not only is the box itself actually a product too -- meaning reasonable steps should be taken to protect it from predictable risk of damage -- but so is the entire experience. I know everyone in this thread fully knows the joy of the 'unboxing', so I know I don't need to elaborate. But stop to think about the merchandise bags in brick-and-mortar luxury stores. Ain't nobody giving you an expensive watch or piece of jewelry in a cheap plastic bag. There are entire industry segments devoted to figuring out these things. These seemingly small items, or gestures, go a long way toward establishing the esteem or prestige of your brand. Can't afford to use an outer box? How can you afford *not to* use an outer box?

(And given step functions for shipping costs, and the minor cost of cardboard, and the not-dramatic marginal cost of the added weight if you do step up to the next rate, I'm just not buying that any retailer 'can't afford it' in the big picture, whether they pass it on or absorb it themselves. Strikes me as false economy at best. Imagine giving the customer the option at check-out, to take bubble wrap for the standard shipping cost or add a box for five dollars. How many do you think would opt for the box? And do you really want to be the luxury retailer who asks a premium price for a premium product and then gets stingy on the way they get it to you?)

Last edited:

WhyUEarly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think the shoes themselves look like something to really worry about, or at least not for a 300-dollar pair, though I can certainly understand why the guy would have been disappointed to see them that way right out of the box. I do fully appreciate that even small cosmetic blemishes could be the difference in walking and purchasing if it were a brick-and-mortar experience, so there's that. I guess I'm just more pragmatic about it all when dealing with online purchases, though, especially if it's not a basic in-stock item -- but even in that case, the hassle of returning and waiting for a replacement is, to me, not worth the few moments of delight and satisfaction of seeing the beautifully pristine product before you put it on your foot and scrape it on the floor and steal away all its virgin charm.

To share one little personal anecdote, I recently received a pair of 800-dollar shoes with edge dressing paint fairly obviously smeared on the upper in a couple places. Struck me as odd that I'd see it immediately upon opening the package, but whoever dropped them in the box didn't catch it or didn't think it was a problem. The merchant suggested a couple ways I could try to get rid of it, and I thought...'well, okay, if it's so easy then why didn't you take care of that yourself before you sent them my way?'. I mean, we're talking about an operation that can't be handling more than a handful or two of shoes a day, I wouldn't think. It didn't give me the greatest impression, to be sure, but I also knew that it would be an absolutely unidentifiable part of the patina after a bit of treatment and just a few wears, so I waved it off. I also, in a way, think that when we have the delightful opportunity to deal with these craftsmen and proprietors personally and directly, it's like we are in this together. Meaning, if the workshop made a little blemish here or there on my pair, part of that is just the luck or the individual nature of it all, and I'm not going to expect the company to go out of its way to make sure that I get a pair that is, for a few brief moments, flawless in every respect, and I certainly wouldn't expect them to have to suffer any expense in the way of returns. Ultimately, you can't ask others to bear all those kinds of costs entirely, without passing part of them on to you. And again, hell, it just makes it part of the entire enjoyable experience.

Now, having said that, I'm kinda shocked at the attitude that sending the shoe box without a shipping box is a-okay. It strikes me as evidence that a business doesn't fully understand its customer. By that I mean, for at least some people who are buying high-end shoes, or at least those who are buying more than the few pair they might actually 'need', not only is the box itself actually a product too -- meaning reasonable steps should be taken to protect it from predictable risk of damage -- but so is the entire experience. I know everyone in this thread fully knows the joy of the 'unboxing', so I know I don't need to elaborate. But stop to think about the merchandise bags in brick-and-mortar luxury stores. Ain't nobody giving you an expensive watch or piece of jewelry in a cheap plastic bag. There are entire industry segments devoted to figuring out these things. These seemingly small items, or gestures, go a long way toward establishing the esteem or prestige of your brand. Can't afford to use an outer box? How can you afford *not to* use an outer box?

(And given step functions for shipping costs, and the minor cost of cardboard, and the not-dramatic marginal cost of the added weight if you do step up to the next rate, I'm just not buying that any retailer 'can't afford it' in the big picture, whether they pass it on or absorb it themselves. Strikes me as false economy at best. Imagine giving the customer the option at check-out, to take bubble wrap for the standard shipping cost or add a box for five dollars. How many do you think would opt for the box? And do you really want to be the luxury retailer who asks a premium price for a premium product and then gets stingy on the way they get it to you?)
Very good points. I have to admit that I wasn't aware the shoe box wrapped in bubble wrap was how the shoes arrived. Although I personally feel like that's strong enough esp since the CS box really is tough, clearly in this case, something happened and it didn't work. I will say this, my last pair of Meccariello came shipped with the shoe box covered in 4 pieces of cardboard taped together. Not the most premium experience directly from the shoe artisan.

Noblekostas

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Very good points. I have to admit that I wasn't aware the shoe box wrapped in bubble wrap was how the shoes arrived. Although I personally feel like that's strong enough esp since the CS box really is tough, clearly in this case, something happened and it didn't work. I will say this, my last pair of Meccariello came shipped with the shoe box covered in 4 pieces of cardboard taped together. Not the most premium experience directly from the shoe artisan.
Shipping is affected by two things, the weight and the proportions. It doesn’t matter if you ship 100 grams of stuff if the volumetric weight is 2.5kg. Adding a box (which rest assured is in the plans) makes it currently financially unsustainable (In most cases) and nobody wanted to spend 20-30$ more for shipping.

I have made a judgement that until I can invest in better packing, this does the job excellently. No box was damaged in 700 orders, be it Scafora, CJ or Santos.

As we mentioned many times before, if someone is unhappy, they should reach out directly to the shop first. I mentioned many times that I would gladly take them back.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haha I had the same thing happen to me as well. It was bubble wrap, cardboard taped together, bubble wrap. For the life of me, I have no clue how the box wasn't damaged.

Noblekostas

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Haha I had the same thing happen to me as well. It was bubble wrap, cardboard taped together, bubble wrap. For the life of me, I have no clue how the box wasn't damaged.
This is how “Pierre from France” decided to send his return 7 months ago. This is a pic right after opening. The box also had stickers of vaginal instruments. Go figure.

F0800A82-AE13-40D2-8922-3B0671F56F79.jpeg

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is how “Pierre from France” decided to send his return 7 months ago. This is a pic right after opening. The box also had stickers of vaginal instruments. Go figure.

View attachment 1435826
This is funny but also leads to a curiosity. If we expect our sellers to ship products safely and securely, shouldn't the consumer also be expected to reciprocate the action?

Noblekostas

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
This is funny but also leads to a curiosity. If we expect our sellers to ship products safely and securely, shouldn't the consumer also be expected to reciprocate the action?
It wasn’t a response to this case, but just an example of how someone might not care if it’s “not their problem”. If you don’t respect the person that puts the effort to bring you something nice, at least show respect to the people that spent their time making it.

miraculously these boots didn’t have a scratch.

deez shoes

Reaction score
It actually costs only 300$ in total for a round trip to New York from Stockholm in October....depends on how crazy the world is by then
Them sneaky airliners trying to bait people to fly lol. Yeah I'm betting that the meeting will probably be postponed to next year.

Zerase

Reaction score

View attachment 1435826
As the Italian proverb goes La madre dei cretini é sempre incinta. The mother of the idiots is always pregnant...

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
AM puts 6 cardboard over the shoe box to cover all side, then tape it like crazy (think Chinese airport packaging service), don't remember it if had bubble wrap, never damaged luckily

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How did Covid-19 impact your personal style?

• My style hasn't changed at all.

• My wardrobe hasn't changed but I am wearing casual clothes more often.

• I invested in new good quality leisure and casual clothes.

• I invested in new sartorial clothes taking advantage of the sales.

• I purged my closet during quarantine and I have nothing left to wear.

Results are only viewable after voting.