• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The no high-fructose corn syrup diet...

Biscotti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I try to stay away, but the past few months I've been all 'who gives a ****?'

I def steer away from the sodas with this in it; I only really like dr. pepper so I get "Dublin" Dr. Pepper smuggled up from Texas; it is the last bottler of Dr. Pepper that only uses cane sugar.

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I simply started eating only basic things that I prepared myself. There's too many bullshit scapegoats for general poor health...

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i have like 1 glass of soda a year, but never have HFCS besides then.

Kas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I try to eat healthy and elimininate all processed foods from my diet, but as a bartender I just can't resist the free Red Bulls and fountain cokes.

Taxler

Reaction score
I'm aware that it's not good, avoid it as much as possible, but there are some tasty foods that have it in there, so I occassionally ignore the fact that it's bad.

Biscotti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kas
I try to eat healthy and elimininate all processed foods from my diet, but as a bartender I just can't resist the free Red Bulls and fountain cokes.

Red bull is sweetened with sugar.

freefinancialadvice

Reaction score
What's the deal with HFCS? I can't find any journal articles with any good information.

Found this though: Sounds pretty cool:

Sucrose is composed of glucose and fructose. When sugar is given to rats in high amounts, the rats develop multiple health problems, especially when the rats were deficient in certain nutrients, such as copper. The researchers wanted to know whether it was the fructose or the glucose moiety that was causing the problems. So they repeated their studies with two groups of rats, one given high amounts of glucose and one given high amounts of fructose. The glucose group was unaffected but the fructose group had disastrous results. The male rats did not reach adulthood. They had anemia, high cholesterol and heart hypertrophy--that means that their hearts enlarged until they exploded. They also had delayed testicular development. Dr. Field explains that fructose in combination with copper deficiency in the growing animal interferes with collagen production. (Copper deficiency, by the way, is widespread in America.) In a nutshell, the little bodies of the rats just fell apart. The females were not so affected, but they were unable to produce live young.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
HFCS is 55% fructose and 45% glucose. Sucrose (table sugar) is 50%/50%.

And those rats are injected with amounts of sugar so massive it'd be next to impossible to actually consume that amount of sugar without feeling ill and losing appetite.

hamish5178

Reaction score
I don't drink anything like soda, sweetened juices (like cranberry), or teas. Cup of coffee in the morning, and then it's water all day long. I can't remember the last time I had soda.
Originally Posted by why
HFCS is 55% fructose and 45% glucose. Sucrose (table sugar) is 50%/50%. And those rats are injected with amounts of sugar so massive it'd be next to impossible to actually consume that amount of sugar without feeling ill and losing appetite.
Wikipedia says this: The most common types of high-fructose corn syrup are: HFCS 90 (mostly for making HFCS 55), approximately 90% fructose and 10% glucose; HFCS 55 (mostly used in soft drinks), approximately 55% fructose and 45% glucose; and HFCS 42 (used in most foods and baked goods), approximately 42% fructose and 58% glucose.[3] Whether it's healthy or not, the cane and honey sweetened colas that I had in NZ several years ago tasted much better than coke.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hamish5178
Wikipedia says this: The most common types of high-fructose corn syrup are: HFCS 90 (mostly for making HFCS 55), approximately 90% fructose and 10% glucose; HFCS 55 (mostly used in soft drinks), approximately 55% fructose and 45% glucose; and HFCS 42 (used in most foods and baked goods), approximately 42% fructose and 58% glucose.[3] Whether it's healthy or not, the cane and honey sweetened colas that I had in NZ several years ago tasted much better than coke.
HFCS 90 is used industrially. I don't think it's ever directly used in food.

hi-val

Reaction score
I've avoided it for years. It's more of an avoidance of sugar than HFCS in particular, and it gets me reading nutrition and ingredient labels as well. I think that's the much more important part. Companies put sugar in lots of strange things like pasta sauce and ketchup, so reading the labels for that stuff helps me find the ketchup that usually tastes better anyway. It's more of an awareness-raising thing for me.

That, and I detest sweetened hamburger buns. Yuck.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hi-val
I've avoided it for years. It's more of an avoidance of sugar than HFCS in particular, and it gets me reading nutrition and ingredient labels as well. I think that's the much more important part. Companies put sugar in lots of strange things like pasta sauce and ketchup, so reading the labels for that stuff helps me find the ketchup that usually tastes better anyway. It's more of an awareness-raising thing for me. That, and I detest sweetened hamburger buns. Yuck.
Sugar is used in pasta sauces, breads, and ketchup because it makes them taste like they should. It's an ingredient used when those foods are homemade too.

skin1879

Reaction score
Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

hamish5178

Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
Sugar is used in pasta sauces, breads, and ketchup because it makes them taste like they should. It's an ingredient used when those foods are homemade too.

I have never made pasta sauce or bread that involved sugar.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.2%

Staff online

Forum statistics