1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The no high-fructose corn syrup diet...

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by michaeljkrell, Feb 14, 2009.

1. Xiaogou

Xiaogou Senior member

Keep on smoking that cigarette. It's not harmful--why would the tobacco lobby lie to us

2. why

why Senior member

Hell, at least tell me why HFCS is good for me?? What are its health benefits?
    In this thread so far you've managed the following: argumentum ad hominem argumentum ad nauseum argumentum ad consequentiam argumentum ad naturam argumentum ad metum petitio principii non causa pro causa guilt by association (is there a latin name for this?) You've gotta be trying to set a record. (Yes, I looked up the latin.)

3. freefinancialadvice

freefinancialadvice Senior member

This discussion is pretty pointless since a) most of you guys don't have a clue and b) you argue about diet like it's religion. If you don't want to eat HFCS, fine. Just don't make up some convoluted and spurious reasoning for your decision.

Obviously. So what's the verdict here? Yay or Nay?

4. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

Fixed.

By the way, there's a higher percentage of fructose in most fruits than HFCS. Food for thought.

fruits have a lot of dietary fiber that slow absorption of simple carbohydrates. fruit juice however generaly doesn't or has a lot less. i don think there's any one real nutritionist that would advise abstaining from the consumption of fruit (although the atkins diet advises abstaining from it, i think the science behind it is pretty unfounded).

fructose isn't harmful to the body, but I think one study found that HFCS containing soft drinks have a lot more reactive carbonyl species and reactive carbonyl species react with amino acid residues of certain proteins to cause irreversible glycation and the end products that are formed (advanged glycation end products aka AGE) are markers highly correlated with age and hyperglycemia associated diabetes. the studies are far from conclusive, but the fact that there is even some concern is i think a legitimate reason to abstain from consumption of HFCS even if it is somewhat controversial. It's not like abstaining from HFCS has health benefits. It might be good to abstain just to be on the safe side.

5. Xiaogou

Xiaogou Senior member

In this thread so far you've managed the following:

argumentum ad hominem
    argumentum ad nauseum
    argumentum ad consequentiam
    argumentum ad naturam
    argumentum ad metum
    petitio principii
    non causa pro causa
    guilt by association (is there a latin name for this?)

You've gotta be trying to set a record.

(Yes, I looked up the latin.)

So, you admit that you cannot answer the question.

6. why

why Senior member

So, you admit that you cannot answer the question.

What are the health benefits of dietary carbohydrates?

7. yachtie

yachtie Senior member

What are the health benefits of dietary carbohydrates?

For most of us, very few (if you're talking about simple sugars).

8. why

why Senior member

For most of us, very few (if you're talking about simple sugars).

Sustenance is a pretty big one.

9. yachtie

yachtie Senior member

Sustenance is a pretty big one.

Smarty- Although they all get broken down into glucose, complex carbs are generally better from a direct comsumption standpoint.

10. why

why Senior member

Smarty- Although they all get broken down into glucose, complex carbs are generally better from a direct comsumption standpoint.

It's a little more complex than that, but I generally agree.

11. tiecollector

tiecollector Senior member

If you want to stay young, one of the key things you need to do is lower your insulin. HFCS makes you insulin resistant. You don't want this. Just try not to eat a lot of sugar in general. You'll get plenty from normal vegetables and fruits.

If you want to live to be 100, there are two steps 1) wear a nice suit every day 2) lower your insulin.

12. why

why Senior member

If you want to stay young, one of the key things you need to do is lower your insulin.

LOL WUT

13. tiecollector

tiecollector Senior member

LOL WUT
    Unless it's low enough already of course (most people it isn't). Since you have already achieved optimal health, this does not apply to you.

14. Charley

Charley Senior member

LOL WUT

I believe I have read that an early indicator of damage from HFCS is the loss of spelling capability.

15. lance konami

lance konami Senior member

Some of you guys need to understand a bit more about the subject before having such brash reactions to industrialized food.

Fucking unbelievable.

Do yourself a favor and read "In Defense of Food" by Micheal Pollan.

16. TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES

TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES Senior member

17. Reggs

Reggs Senior member

18. jtang108

jtang108 Senior member

I had off the charts triglyceride levels. So went on a no sugar diet for 6 months. I gave up all refined sugars including white rice and pasta. I would substitute brown rice for white rice and vermicelli noodles for pasta. In one month, I lost 20 lbs. With exercise, I was able to lose and additional 10lbs over several more months. Mentally, I felt better and physically my stamina and energy throughout the day was at higher levels. It was rough the first few weeks as I did not know what to eat. It seemed everything in the supermarket had high fructose sugar. Ended up moving to fresh fruits, vegetables and grains (farmer markets were a god send).