• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The no high-fructose corn syrup diet...

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
It's the consumer's fault for consuming the HFCS. If people truly thought it was awful, they wouldn't buy it and the market would take care of the rest.

Good thinking. You should run for office.

kaxixi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dewey
The low cost of HFCS is a reason that your second claim is true. If Cokes were $2 a can, Americans would consume fewer calories and be less obese.

Calories shouldn't be that cheap or enter the population in such large numbers in that form.

Originally Posted by Connemara
It's the consumer's fault for consuming the HFCS. If people truly thought it was awful, they wouldn't buy it and the market would take care of the rest.

I think Dewey's point is that prices don't reflect costs. Corn production is highly subsidized (and sugar is subject to quotas, hence the relative price differential). I'd blame agricultural policies that distort prices before blaming consumers for responding to those prices.

Or am I missing some sort of joke?

FWIW, I can def taste the difference between HFCS and sugar. I always thought I hated soda 'til I had it abroad a few years back.

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by michaeljkrell
Anyone else make a point not to eat anything with high-fructose corn syrup or corn syrup in general?

I have cut out HFCS. Nice how the commercial doesn't tell you about ***** liver and other problems associated with HFCS. Moderation is hard when the crap is in everything!

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I still think the #1 reason people are obese in this country is due to soda and other drinks with HFCS. I suppose couch surfing will be in next year's Junior Olympics because fat kids are drinking so many "sport drinks" which contain massive amounts of HFCS.

I lost about 14 lbs in 14 days by cutting out HFCS completely a couple years back.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
After drinking a soda, I can actually feel the inflammation in my skin. I read labels and don't buy anything with HFCS in it. However, I do still take a few sips of Mountain Dew a week just to make life worth living. About two sips then throw the rest away. Gotta rebel against rebellion even sometimes.
You may have a psychosomatic disorder.
Originally Posted by hamish5178
I have never made pasta sauce or bread that involved sugar.
Do you only eat unleavened bread? Yeast need to eat sugar to do release CO2...

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xiaogou
I have cut out HFCS. Nice how the commercial doesn't tell you about ***** liver and other problems associated with ridiculoudly high fructose intake. Moderation is hard when the crap is in everything!

Fixed.

By the way, there's a higher percentage of fructose in most fruits than HFCS. Food for thought.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kaxixi
Or am I missing some sort of joke?
I can't explain Connemara. I was joking when I said he should run for office.
Originally Posted by kaxixi
FWIW, I can def taste the difference between HFCS and sugar. I always thought I hated soda 'til I had it abroad a few years back.
I can also taste the difference. Not in small quantities but in a soda, for sure. Hard to explain but the sweet taste is thinner and more one-dimensional.
I still think the #1 reason people are obese in this country is due to soda and other drinks with HFCS. I suppose couch surfing will be in next year's Junior Olympics because fat kids are drinking so many "sport drinks" which contain massive amounts of HFCS. I lost about 14 lbs in 14 days by cutting out HFCS completely a couple years back.
For sure the #1 reason people are obese is they get too many calories.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For all you haters, put it to the test. Cut out HFCS for two weeks and see if you feel better. I guarantee you will, and I guarantee for 90% of people, quitting HFCS for 2 weeks will be like quitting crack.

If you go about 3 days without HFCS, you will be able to taste it when you bite into a cookie, or even bread. It is something like 10x sweeter than sugar and unless you stop for a while. In fact, it is so sweet, that you may even feel a little bit sickened by it.

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
Fixed.

By the way, there's a higher percentage of fructose in most fruits than HFCS. Food for thought.

It would be appreciated if you don't edit the content of what I write.

Second, fructose should be left in fruit--

"ridiculoudly high fructose intake" Define ridiculously high. Put a number on it.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you go about 3 days without HFCS, you will be able to taste it when you bite into a cookie, or even bread. It is something like 10x sweeter than sugar and unless you stop for a while.
No it's not.
It would be appreciated if you don't edit the content of what I write.
I didn't. Welcome to the forum.
"ridiculoudly high fructose intake" Define ridiculously high. Put a number on it.
It differs among individuals; athletes in training can consume far greater quantities than sedentary elderly women.
http://www.nutraingredients-usa.com/...tural-says-FDA HFCS is not natural. Fructose in fruit is.
I don't think I ever said it was natural. If you think the FDA's arbitrary definitions have any probative value in human metabolism you're really mistaken.

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK, Why. Eat HFCS everyday and let me know how things are when you're 70. Anything that ADM had to lobby to become accepted isn't anything I want to be a part of.

mulansauce

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK, Why. Eat HFCS everyday and let me know how things are when you're 70. Anything that ADM had to lobby to become accepted isn't anything I want to be a part of.

Good argument.

I imagine he would be just fine at age 70...unless of course he gets hit by a bus or something.

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mulansauce
Good argument.

I imagine he would be just fine at age 70...unless of course he gets hit by a bus or something.

I am sure you know the results of HFCS on lab rats...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads