• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The next great vodka

TrojanGarb

Reaction score
crystal_head.jpg

Ed Hardy has nothing on Dan Aykroyd

Crystal Head Vodka

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fcuknu
the true test of a vodka is its taste at room temperature
Yea I guess "tests" are fascinating... But I don't buy vodka to test it, I buy it to drink it and I prefer the taste and syrupy texture of a vodka that's been sitting in the freezer
All vodka tastes the same if you get it cold enoigh
LOL. no

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
sure it does. If you get anything cold enough your taste buds will be shocked and will taste nothing.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you get anything cold enough your taste buds will be shocked and will taste nothing.
No it doesn't. Are you also arguing that lemon sorbet tastes the same as chocolate gelato? That both taste "like nothing". Just try two very different vodkas out of the freezer and you will realize you're simply wrong. That you argue otherwise tells me that you never have - or maybe that you drown it in sodas or juices so you wouldn't really know if they do taste different?

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorbet and Gelato have different textures. Holy ****, I never said that everything you put in a freezer has no taste, I said IF you get something cold ENOUGH, it will shock your taste buds. And yes, I have had a large variety of vodkas, mixed and straight. Who would drink vodka straight neways?

bawlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
+1. Give me gin or give me some brown stuff.

Took the words out of my mouth.

Gin = win.

samus

Reaction score
Vodka as a spirit is not in the same class as other spirits because, at its heart, it should taste like nothing but pure ethanol and pure water. It loses all of the character of the grain or fruit from which it originates, which is why you can have great vodkas from anything. This is not to say you can't distinguish between well- and poorly-made vodkas. As noted, bad vodkas retain more of the higher-fraction unpleasant alcohols and so on. But vodka can't have the range of complexity that other spirits (whiskeys, etc.) can. This is why "ultra-premium" vodkas are largely creatures of marketing, and routinely lose taste tests to cheaper or unknown brands. This is also why you see such a proliferation of flavored vodkas. Seriously, root beer vodka? Sweet tea vodka? Something ain't right there.

My new personal favorite is Sobieski. It tastes like a so-called "ultra-premium" vodka, but costs $10 for 750 ml. Good enough to enjoy when I'm in the mood for it, cheap enough to have on the shelf during parties when every other person is drowning it in fruit juice or whatever else.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by samus
Vodka as a spirit is not in the same class as other spirits because, at its heart, it should taste like nothing but pure ethanol and pure water.
No.
It loses all of the character of the grain or fruit from which it originates, which is why you can have great vodkas from anything.
No.
But vodka can't have the range of complexity that other spirits (whiskeys, etc.) can.
True.

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
so potato and rye vodkas taste different? come onnnnn. It all tastes like nail polish remover

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
so potato and rye vodkas taste different? come onnnnn. It all tastes like nail polish remover

one does not have to be vodka drinker to taste the difference. and yes anyone with a palatte even moderately developed can taste the the difference be tween the different types of vodka.

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i have yet to try it but they make a vodka based upon maple syrup, th at might be interesting.

samus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
No.
No.
True.

Then why all the boasting about how many times each brand is distilled? Every time through it loses more of the character of the source. I'm not saying vodka doesn't have its place on the shelf, but I'm with those who wouldn't pay very much for it.

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Then why all the boasting about how many times each brand is distilled? Every time through it loses more of the character of the source. I'm not saying vodka doesn't have its place on the shelf, but I'm with those who wouldn't pay very much for it.

have you had a good rye based vodka fruit based and potato? ad you cannot honestly tell the diference between them, i prefer the potato but the difference can be tasted.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads