1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Newsroom (HBO)

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by suited, Jun 24, 2012.

1. KenRose

KenRose Senior member

Nope. The first 15 minor the pilot was the best it has been unfortunately.

2. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Not really. Unfortunately it has my attention and I keep watching it now. The wacky characters and exaggerated political monologues make it comical but it's ultimately disappointing because they've wasted a great concept. Imagine if it was a bit more serious (better written characters, no overt political leanings, no attempts to keep up with past current events, created by David Simon). The show could've been great.

3. KenRose

KenRose Senior member

Just watched the finale. As a politically independent guy who tends to lean more to the left, I am tremendously disappointed in this show. When I heard it was coming I watched a few seasons of The West Wing that I had on DVD. I just can't believe that this crap came from the same guy. And HBO.....they cancelled Hung to create more Sunday night room and they have left this???
    The Sopranos
    The Wire
    Boardwalk Empire
    The Newsroom?????

4. Saturdays

Saturdays Senior member

The cancelled:

Hung
    How to Make it In America
    Bored to Death

wtf.... HBO... I know HTMIIM might have been a smaller show... but Bored to Death, and Hung - two great shows and pretty popular and big fanbase...

BBC Two is the new HBO imo:

Sherlock
    Line of Duty
    Luther
    The Hour

5. matty long legs

matty long legs Senior member

I loved Hung.

People are either in love or can't stand the Newsroom, but I'm one of the ones who love it. The finale was the most perfect critique of the Tea Party I've ever heard. My conservative roommate and I (a big fat liberal) watch it every Sunday and both love it. Like Will McAvoy said in the finale, the vast majority of the current Republicans aren't really Republicans. They've been co-opted by the Tea Party or scared as hell of being primaried so they move further and further to the right. My roommate and I just nodded our heads in agreement.

It's a great show, I'm glad it's getting a second season, though I hope they do more with the female characters. I really like Olivia Munn and Allison Pill, so I hope they get more screen time and better stories in Season 2.

Lastly, if someone like Olivia Munn said to you that she was waiting for you to ask her out, like she said to Don, you'd drop Allison Pill in a second and sprint to Olivia. Some of her scenes seemed forced, but I think Olivia has the potential to be a great actress. And oh so hot.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
  6. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Don is a great character but he reminds me of my old douchebag roommate.

7. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Another meh episode. Probably going to drop this next year.

8. Saturdays

Saturdays Senior member

The problem with Don and Munn is that there was no build up to that. I mean I did not expect that at all, their were no signs whatsoever. it doesn't even make sense

9. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

IT doesn't make sense? Don is pretty powerful in the organization. Olivia Munn's character is sexually frustrated and a relationship retard. Sounds like a good match.

10. KenRose

KenRose Senior member

I agree that he critiqued the Tea Party quite well.....however, it is extremely tiresome to be hammering republicans over and over without a hint of being critical of democrats. This coming from a "republican" news anchor who controls the message of his show....I just find it irritating. And I agree with almost everything they have said. I just find it a transparent way to get Sorkin's views across in a way that was never attempted in The West Wing.

11. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

I agree with most of the political stuff they get into on the show, but I'm not really interested in watching an HBO scripted drama where they reinforce generic ideological talking points from months ago in a grossly transparent and unnecessary fashion. I could watch Bill Maher re-runs if I wanted that, and it would at least be funny. There's no insight there and I have a hard time believing that actual news professionals are that overt (or stupid, in the case of Mac). I don't really need the TV to tell me how right and how smart I am and how everyone who doesn't get it is dumb. I suspect the people that like the show enjoy it because they want to hear those things.

12. Saturdays

Saturdays Senior member

There were no 'tells' that it could have been possible from any previous episode. I understand she was frustrated, but just seemed Don was out of the blue.

I guess after thinking more about it, Don did ask her to be a fill-in anchor, jabbered with her on the plane a lot, and consoled her when she was scolded for her Japanese bit.

13. KenRose

KenRose Senior member

I agree completely. And at least with Bill Maher, he is honest enough to say that he's a democrat and not pretend that he is a republican outraged by the tea party. Because as "outraged" as many are, they are equally pissed off at democrats too. Politics aside, there is WAY too much stupid comic relief for a show that is suppose to be a drama. Either be a drama or a comedy, not both. Let's count how many times we watch these incredibly intelligent people walk into a wall or a door or interrupt a staff meeting to learn about sex in the city.

14. JoeTurner

JoeTurner Member

The 'Sex and the city' bit was excruciatingly bad, cheesy, ridiculous. It was probably meant as a parody of the latter, but failed on all counts to be either witty or humourous.

15. ribkin

ribkin Senior member

just finished a BBC "The Hour" marathon ... thoughts anyone?

16. Saturdays

Saturdays Senior member

There's a thread for 'The Hour'

I defintely think it was much better than Newsroom, several key reasons.

It spanned one historical news event.

Amazing actors/cast

Period setting was done great, loved the scene when they went hunting

The underlying story/plot was much more interesting, and suprising

17. KenRose

KenRose Senior member

I just re-watched season one. I hated it the first time round and this is the only time I've re-watched it since it ended. I didn't seem to hate it as much. Of course it wasn't close to The West Wing but it just didn't seem to grate at me as it did the first time.

18. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

That's because you can't feel the pain anymore

19. KenRose

KenRose Senior member

lol; I forgot how funny people are here