1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Newsroom (HBO)

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by suited, Jun 24, 2012.

1. suited

suited Senior member

I have high hopes for this - what do you think?

2. Reynard369

Reynard369 Senior member

Reviews have not been very positive.

3. suited

suited Senior member

The characters spent most of their time on screen trying to one-up each other.

4. fir3fox

fir3fox Senior member

I didn't mind it, I'll tune in again.

I got nothing else on my DVR now that Thrones and Madmen are over.

5. curzon

curzon Senior member

“Curzon understands the cultural nuances of our ti
  6. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

I'm through the third episode now. His rant in the opener was awesome, so that alone got me to try out the rest of the series. I thought episode 3 was particularly good. Shows the growing corporate control of our news on tv.

7. fir3fox

fir3fox Senior member

I like the show, it just seems really over written.

8. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Well, of course. It IS an Aaron Sorkin show after all.

9. randomkoreandude

randomkoreandude Senior member

3rd ep was def better than 2nd. 2nd was all about that lame ugly girl romantic triangle crap and just felt like drama filler

hopefully 4th ep continues on the right track

10. gort

gort Senior member

Is this show neutral or is there a political slant to all of it?

11. suited

suited Senior member

It's rabidly liberal, with the main character being a pretend Republican, attacking Republicans by barking about how upset he is with where the party is today. The show unintentionally makes fun of itself. The second episode focuses on the crew gathering behind their overall goal of putting forth the best argument from every side when it comes to featured guests on the program, yet they only offer arguments from crazed tea party Republicans.

In the third episode, Sam Waterson's character actually tries to justify the fair and neutral stance of one of their pieces by saying that Media Matters gave it great reviews.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2012
  12. randomkoreandude

randomkoreandude Senior member

yeah entire 3rd epi was a bash against tea party and how they took over the Rep party and comparing them to hippies taking over the libs back in 70s/drug era

13. KenRose

KenRose Senior member

liked the fourth episode too. I'm a pretty liberal guy but this show is REALLY liberal though, I wish it would be a little closer to the west wing is this regard, just keeping up the stereotype of hollywood.

14. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

The show makes me chuckle. It's like Talking Points Memo come to life.

I enjoyed his "campaign for civility" getting off the tracks whenever he would do things like call a woman a "bitch" to her face.

15. KenRose

KenRose Senior member

I like the show. I think it has real potential and I also really liked Luck and was disappointed that it was cancelled. I am just wishing this could be a bit more balanced. I have to be honest, I am not a "tea party" guy and I did agree with the episode last week, but I think both the right and left wings of both parties are out to lunch and this show seems to only look at the far right of the Republican party. Also, I have noticed a bit of woman bashing on this show...

16. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Yup, the pretty obvious shallow writing of the female characters and the general low level of misogyny is part of what makes me chuckle given the liberal nature of the show and its writer. Have you noticed that all the main female characters seem to have their vagina as their prime professional asset?

17. KenRose

KenRose Senior member

I have. And honestly the stereotypes are taking away from the enjoyment of the show for me. The one girl who keeps having her outbursts and panic attacks, I know it's suppose to be humorous but I just find it irritating. Perhaps I just have too high expectations for this. I was expecting to get "the wire" of cable news and instead I think we are getting a lower quality than the west wing.

18. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

The show is really growing on me. Neurotic girl and her roommate are annoying. My jaw nearly dropped when Olivia Munn's character implied the Glass-Steagall act was the sole reason we had great economic growth between its passing and repeal. Not to mention we won WW2 when it was in place. I was surprised she didn't go further by explaining that 9/11 took place after glass steagall was repealed. A missed opportunity.

The end of episode five had me rolling my eyes. Will watch again though

Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
  19. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I also like how she blamed the repeal of Glass-Steagal on Reagan. That was some awesome propaganda as you know there is crap ton of, and I use this word to indicate only the most extreme and dumb, libtards, repeating that at work today.

20. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

My wife has been watching this and I just sat through my first episode. I remember asking her if all of the female characters are brainless airheads who just happen to be good at one aspect of their jobs. They all seems pretty intolerable so far. Who would work with any of those women?

The whole interaction, from the incredibly, incredibly dumb woman getting tutored to the ridiculously simplistic Democratic talking points couched as economics from an "economics PhD" was just painful.

The Rudy moment was kind of neat though.