• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The New Yorker 10 (Whisky)

KJT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had a couple of these, I'll agree that Noah's Mill is a very good bourbon. Thanks for the link.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gah. That's an awful list, I think. Booker's and and Blanton's? Russel's ahead of Sazerac? And all the truly great whiskeys that should be up there. Plus they are indiscriminately mixing rye and bourbon? Ridiculous.

~ H

Aaron01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pappys at #5? I know it's the 15y, but still, no way it should be lower than Russel's. And lulz to Sazerac under Michter's.

Has the author even drank whisky before?

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Just a thought..."whisky" (no "e") is Scotch. Everything else is "whiskey."

Arms_Akimbo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DWFII
Just a thought..."whisky" (no "e") is Scotch. Everything else is "whiskey."
Canadians spell it sans 'e' as well.

Also, despite the numbered list, I don't think it's actually in any order. Just a group of common $30-50 American whiskies that the author likes and is recommending. I personally haven't tasted any of those nine yet, but hopefully soon.
snork[1].gif

Aaron01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arms_Akimbo
Canadians spell it sans 'e' as well.

My Yamazaki and Bushmill's are also spelled without the "e"

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Aaron01
My Yamazaki and Bushmill's are also spelled without the "e"

dickel spells it without an e as well.

Aaron01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scarphe
dickel spells it without an e as well.

As does Makers, at least on the 46. I always figured either +e and -e were acceptable

Canvas08

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
Gah. That's an awful list, I think. Booker's and and Blanton's? Russel's ahead of Sazerac? And all the truly great whiskeys that should be up there. Plus they are indiscriminately mixing rye and bourbon? Ridiculous.

~ H

what would your list be H.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
As does Makers, at least on the 46. I always figured either +e and -e were acceptable
I acknowledge the point. But if you're Scots (and I'm not, except by somewhat attenuated heritage), +e is not acceptable for Scotch whisky. It is never, ever Scotch "whiskey" and in fact...wonderful though the Japanese or English product may (or may not) be, it is not Scotch at all if it is not from Scotland. I realize this is a little off topic but when I saw the subject I thought the discussion was about SMS.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Story with Dickel is that old George felt his whisky was as good as any of the fine spirits coming out of bonnie old, and dropped the "e" in recognition, as well as tribute.

As to the list:

1. Four Roses, Single Barrel
2. Noah's Mill
3. Rowan's Creek
4. Russell's Reserve
5. Pappy Van Winkle, 15 year
6. Michter's Rye
7. Blanton's
8. Baker's
9. Sazerac Rye

Of these, I'd say 2, 5, and 6 easily belong there, but I probably would disagree with the rest. My list might look like this:

1. Pappy Van Winkle 20 year
2. Eagle Rare 17 year
3. George T. Stagg
4. Booker's (yes, to me it's that good)
5. PVW Lot B
6. Michter's Rye
7. Wild Turkey Rare Breed
8. Pappy Van Winkle 15 year
9. Knob Creek
10. Jack Daniels Single Barrel

There are many, many good whiskies outside the top ten, including Hudson (Four Grain and Baby), Old Forester Birthday Bourbon, and Noah's Mill, but those would be my top ten American whiskies

Aaron01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're a big PVW fan it seems. You have any experience with AH Hirsch? I have a bottle of their regular juice, not the vintage stuff, it's quite tasty, I need to drink more of it

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You're a big PVW fan it seems. You have any experience with AH Hirsch? I have a bottle of their regular juice, not the vintage stuff, it's quite tasty, I need to drink more of it

Yes, the Hirsch whiskey is decent, my favorite is actually the Canadian rye whiskey they market. If you come across it, try it. I wouldn't put their bourbon on my top ten list, but there are a lot of what I would concede are very good bourbons not on there, so it's in good company..

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And lulz to Sazerac under Michter's.

I'll take Michters over Saz all day.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads