• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The new wave in crappy Police dramas...

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In the 90s the Police Procedural (Law & Order, Homicide, NYPD Blue) rained supreme. Then early in the decade came all the flash and glitz of CSI. And now the new wave is here, hipsters that can just look at a suspect or crime scene and "know" the answers-- Criminal Minds, The Mentalist, The Listener, Lie to Me.

This TV is all junk. I stick with the show I started watching when I was in Grade 5, Law & Order. SVU is trash and Criminal Intent is boring. But the one show that has stayed true is still my favorite.

Why are people so attracted to all this junk? Someone must be watching it because there is more and more it every season it seems.

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I liked lie to me. Thought it was a very interesting concept and based on how the mind really works! It got repetitive though. I dont watch it anymore. I find the rest of the newer shows boring. I can still watch CSI every now and then.

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh and I never liked any of those 90s shows. Incredibly boring.

oneeightyseven

Almost Special
Reaction score
Regular Law & Order is supreme. The spinoffs are creepy imo. I dont want to know about kiddy rapists and other perverts. Too taboo for my liking.

oneeightyseven

Almost Special
Reaction score
Originally Posted by emmanuel
I liked lie to me. Thought it was a very interesting concept and based on how the mind really works! It got repetitive though. I dont watch it anymore. I find the rest of the newer shows boring. I can still watch CSI every now and then.

It's stupid. How he uses the example of the white skinhead's flinch as an indication. You can sit there and talk to me all day and I will never flinch from a word. You can even throw punches and I wont flinch.

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LVoer
In the 90s the Police Procedural (Law & Order, Homicide, NYPD Blue) rained supreme. Then early in the decade came all the flash and glitz of CSI. And now the new wave is here, hipsters that can just look at a suspect or crime scene and "know" the answers-- Criminal Minds, The Mentalist, The Listener, Lie to Me. This TV is all junk. I stick with the show I started watching when I was in Grade 5, Law & Order. SVU is trash and Criminal Intent is boring. But the one show that has stayed true is still my favorite. Why are people so attracted to all this junk? Someone must be watching it because there is more and more it every season it seems.
Way back in the 70s, they discovered that you could make hour-long dramas about only three things: cops, lawyers, and doctors. I have never, not once, been able to follow an episode of Law & Order:CI from start to finish. I guess I'm just not smart enough, CSI: Miami is the lowest form of pulp entertainment, but is redeemed by its art direction. Criminal Minds is just insulting. Homicide is one of the greatese TV shows of all time, and shall not be mentioned alongside any of these other pieces of crap.

r...

Reaction score
The glut of Medical dramas is even worse.

L&O is great, CI has gotten better, SVU is stale. Homicide had some crossover eps with L&O as well. CSI started out good and quickly turned to soft lighted crap, followed by its unwatchable spin-offs.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
People still watch regular TV?
confused.gif

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
People still watch regular TV?
confused.gif

Not everyone is as obsessed with Appreciation as you.
smack.gif

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LVoer
In the 90s the Police Procedural (Law & Order, Homicide, NYPD Blue) rained supreme. Then early in the decade came all the flash and glitz of CSI. And now the new wave is here, hipsters that can just look at a suspect or crime scene and "know" the answers-- Criminal Minds, The Mentalist, The Listener, Lie to Me.

This TV is all junk. I stick with the show I started watching when I was in Grade 5, Law & Order. SVU is trash and Criminal Intent is boring. But the one show that has stayed true is still my favorite.

Why are people so attracted to all this junk? Someone must be watching it because there is more and more it every season it seems.

+1000000000000000000000000000

k4ppah

Reaction score
I never really enjoyed the things in Law & Order's vein to begin with, but this new wave is simply intolerable. I can't wait until the fad ends and there is something with some originality on TV.

limping_decorum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tagutcow

Homicide is one of the greatese TV shows of all time, and shall not be mentioned alongside any of these other pieces of crap.

+1

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I still think Miami Vice was the best (and the most stylish) cop show ever...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads