The new Savile Row and the workplace (article >>>)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, Sep 29, 2006.

1. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Fortune article:
    http://money.cnn.com/2006/09/22/maga...ion=2006092714

From perfectly fitted bespoke, to a new breed of off-the-rack options, Savile Row has something to suit every style (if not every budget). Here's a look at the players. - Telis Demos

RICHARD JAMES NO. 29 SAVILE ROW Since he opened in 1992, James has lead the Row's new-wave tailors. The suits, both ready-to-wear and bespoke, feature modern flourishes (high pockets, vented sides, etc.) on a classic English cut. richardjames.co.uk

GARY ANDERSON NO. 34--35 SAVILE ROW This newcomer (2001) is good for those looking to go dandyish with brightly colored silk suits, top hats, cravats, and waistcoats. A veritable bargain - some bespoke suits start at only £550. garyanderson.com

TIMOTHY EVEREST NO. 35 BRUTON PLACE Some New Guard tailors like Everest have ditched the Row entirely. Don't miss his trademark ties. timothyeverest.co.uk

HENRY POOLE & CO. NO. 15 SAVILE ROW The Row's oldest name (in business since 1806) and the inspiration for the American tuxedo. Their suits emphasize materials and comfort, not flashy design detail. henrypoole.com

RICHARD ANDERSON NO. 13 SAVILE ROW A young gun but adamantly old school. Start with a bespoke suit in Anderson's favorite style (single-button, long-lapel) cut by the man himself, then get accessory advice, all at his Savile Row premises. richardandersonltd.com

OZWALD BOATENG NO. 12 SAVILE ROW While the new-generation style icon (ask clients Mick Jagger or Jamie Foxx) keeps his offthe- rack storefront on Vigo Street, for a bespoke job you'll have to visit his atelier on the Row. ozwaldboateng.co.uk

KILGOUR NO. 8 SAVILE ROW The only tailor Cary Grant ever trusted. And in these retro-loving times, today's Alphie (Jude Law) and James Bond (Daniel Craig) still sport the Kilgour look. Make an appointment for a bespoke version of their retail collection, the Row's first. kilgour.eu

GIEVES & HAWKES NO. 1 SAVILE ROW This old name has expanded into edgy, urban apparel in shops from Moscow to Hong Kong, but still does bespoke tailoring on the Row. gievesandhawkes.com

Savile Row at your service...if you can't make it to London, Savile Row's best tailors will come to you.​

2. rnoldh

rnoldh Senior member

Not only is Anderson's suit atrocious, but it's a bit too tight!!

I guess he wears stuff like that to get attention. It got his picture in the article.

I couldn't imagine even a tasteless Billionaire in that suit. Think Mark Cuban and Richard Branson.

3. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Senior member

I like Boateng's stuff, but has he never heard of Tommy Nutter?

4. Christofuh

Christofuh Senior member

For the real bargains in Bee Yellow, Chartreuse, Tangerine, Lilac, Asparagus, Cyan and Magenta suits - I'd suggest to keep an eye out for those garage sales over @ Arsenio Hall's.

5. jagsm

jagsm New Member

Guys, Avoid Gary Anderson at all costs, The guy is rude and arrogant and thinks he is doing us a favour by giving us the previlege of buying his suits...

Normally the shop carry out the alterations for you and keep it ready but in this case he made me to to the tailor and then when i being a tourist and new to London was not able to find the tailors place he accused me of lying to him!

I then decided to leave it with him and collect it back another time from him so asked for a alteration receipt to identify which suit was to be collected as the person collecting the suit had not seen the suit before(which is standard in all stores around the world that carry out alterations!) and the guy went bezerk saying they don't do that at Gary Anderson and brought up issues of trust!!!! If you ask me i think the guy is a racist and i regret buying his suit... Perhaps he doesn't like the idea of non-white people wearing his suits. He claimed i have insulted him by asking for a receipt!!!!! I have never been spoken to so rudely in any shop in the world!

Pretty shocking considering i spent close to £1000 on a suit

The standard of Saville Row is obviously down hill when they allow such shops on there. You can buy a suit significantly cheaper at Armani and you get service with a smile and they are happy to take care of all alterations and have the suit ready and waiting for you...

6. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Fashion Hayzus

What race are you and did he call you a derogatory term for your race?

7. rssmsvc

rssmsvc Senior member

Guys, Avoid Gary Anderson at all costs, The guy is rude and arrogant and thinks he is doing us a favour by giving us the previlege of buying his suits...

Normally the shop carry out the alterations for you and keep it ready but in this case he made me to to the tailor and then when i being a tourist and new to London was not able to find the tailors place he accused me of lying to him!

I then decided to leave it with him and collect it back another time from him so asked for a alteration receipt to identify which suit was to be collected as the person collecting the suit had not seen the suit before(which is standard in all stores around the world that carry out alterations!) and the guy went bezerk saying they don't do that at Gary Anderson and brought up issues of trust!!!! If you ask me i think the guy is a racist and i regret buying his suit... Perhaps he doesn't like the idea of non-white people wearing his suits. He claimed i have insulted him by asking for a receipt!!!!! I have never been spoken to so rudely in any shop in the world!

Pretty shocking considering i spent close to £1000 on a suit

The standard of Saville Row is obviously down hill when they allow such shops on there. You can buy a suit significantly cheaper at Armani and you get service with a smile and they are happy to take care of all alterations and have the suit ready and waiting for you...

Did you look at his site before going ? That is some of the most International Male looking clothing that I have seen in a long time.

8. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Fashion Hayzus

Did you look at his site before going ? That is some of the most International Male looking clothing that I have seen in a long time.

Don't you insult IM like that.

It looks more like a Prom Rental catalogue.

9. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I hear he trained at teh Andover Shope

10. jagsm

jagsm New Member

I am Indian origin, Ofcourse he did not say anything racist but was extremely derigatory when talking to me, which is why his assistants all apologised to me.
    I didn't see his site but walking around Saville Row and came across his shop.

11. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I like Boateng's stuff, but has he never heard of Tommy Nutter?
    I'd say Edward Sexton was more the tailor as Nutter was simply a stylist of sorts.

12. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

In some of his interviews, Boateng plays up having met Tommy Nutter, with some articles suggesting he even worked for Tommy Nutter (I think the truth is closer to the former).

RJ, Timothy Everest and Boateng all sort of clamored for any connection to Nutter. Everest actually did work for Nutter, apparently.

Gary Anderson's stuff is godawfully hideous and seemed very expensive (RTW shirts were over 200 pounds in one magazine spread some years ago). They also seemed to be focused on wedding outfits, from their website.