1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The New Official Wolf vs. Goat Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by fosho, Oct 12, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. callmeRichard

callmeRichard Active Member

Spare me that bullshit... you have zero idea what price range I'm comfortable with. I've been a rewards member for almost two years. I've never had a problem with any of his pricing before this. But paying $175 for a shirt because it has "amazing fabric" is bullshit when I can't see the fabric until after the shirt is MTO. And with the pre-order model returning an ordered shirt kind of fucks Mauro over... at least it would if I returned it since I'm a XXL (last time I checked Mauro told me he only had two rewards members who were XXL).

This shits just way out of line with what I've seen him do in the past. $175 for a single garment merino wool is one thing... $175 for cotton chambray? Yeah... that's fucking stupid. I mean fuck... his cashmere sweaters from last season were only $25 bucks more than the chambry. You're telling me that doesn't seem a little out of whack?

2. agvs

agvs Senior member

You're basically stating that you're not comfortable with the prices or the direction the brand is headed, are you not?. I mean what do you expect here? Why such animosity?

3. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

Several points:

1. Wolfvsgoat to me is the ultimate blend of no-corners-cut, no money spent on marketing bullshit - that to me is its value proposition

2. Nobody is holding a gun to your head to buy the chambray. Go buy an RRL - oh shit, that is more expensive! Fuck me. Well, I suppose there is J Crew...

Let's see how the pre-orders roll in and then Mauro will obviously adjust to his market - if the high end stuff doesn't sell, he can decide whether he is happier with a niche or whether to go down-market (please don't Mauro)

And finally:
    3. Mauro - where the hell are the boxers? My beta-test boxer is fucking awesome and I need more!

4. chupas

chupas Senior member

So what's the issue? You have been a member for two years, have (presumably) no problem with the zillion other offerings, but because he is releasing this one limited-run ultra-super-duper fabric shirt that costs a bunch, he's gone insane?

Also Mauro, you might want to give some thought to referral bonuses or something that incentivizes existing members to invite their friends and encourage them to become members. I've seen people in this thread suggest a one-time use membership price/code for new customers, but that seems really difficult to monitor and enforce. Maybe instead you could give existing members 2-3 one-time use codes to give to their friends to try the brand out. I know you have the policy that people can purchase the membership after buying something and get a retroactive membership price applied to the thing they bought, but I think psychologically speaking it's a lot easier to get someone interested and buying if they're able to get the members' price up front.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
  5. callmeRichard

callmeRichard Active Member

1. Did this "no-corners-cut philosophy" just start with this latest run of shirt? Because they've never cost that much before. So either something changed with "no-corners-cut" or your just making shit up to make yourself feel better.

What corners did he cut to make cashmere cost $400 when cotton chambray costs $370? If he's not cutting corners why does he still use thin, sub-par, and irregular MOP buttons? Don't get me wrong I actually like the buttons, but when comparied to other high in brands they come across as pretty cheap.

2. Fuck chambray. I don't want WvG, RRL, or any other brand. Not my style. And the RRL example doesn't prove anything... what you did is called cherry picking. It's a basic logical fallacy.

And I'm realizing my biggest frustration isn't with these limited run shirts. My biggest frustration is time is being spent producing these limited run shirts and WvG can't even keep the basics in stock. And his last run of Oxfords didn't include XXL options so none of them fit me.

Yeah... buying into WvG was probably a mistake. Limited stock... even more limited by the sizing options. I'd be happy to sell my rewards membership if I could.

6. chupas

chupas Senior member

Brother you might want to sit down because this may come as a bit of a shock: sometimes fabrics cost very different amounts, and those differences are reflected in the final price.

7. thats.mana

thats.mana Senior member

Which is lighter in weight? Jap selvedge or donegal?

8. stafa

stafa Senior member

I think he realizes that. I think it's also reasonable to point out prices in general have gone up quite a bit, and this can freeze out a lot of potential buyers, and buyers who are already rewards members. Mauro can put out whatever clothes he wants, and if it's his wish to use expensive and luxurious fabrics, that's his prerogative. But if his customer base is not ready to pay those prices, then there is a disconnect and the business will suffer because of it. The pre-order system allows Mauro to only produce what is demanded, but hopefully he offers clothes in a wide range of prices. If WvG goes to only luxury fabrics and $300 shirts, I doubt I would buy much anymore even though I have enough income.

9. NotClever

NotClever Senior member

He has said in a couple of posts in this thread that he is planning on moving to more expensive fabrics, yes. I can see not noticing that if you don't follow this thread closely, but I figure I would check closely before going off the handle about it. Seriously, though, why the hostility?

This is something I forgot in my previous post. I had no idea about this when I purchased my membership. Again, it was a members-only preorder so it wouldn't have applied to me, but still a relevant point as far as communication to the customer goes.

10. goldenbear

goldenbear Senior member

What are the fits like for the new shirts? The website doesn't specify as far as I can tell.

11. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

Jesus, stop whining. Don't buy the shirt. It is that simple.

12. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

We can call you dick. Does that work?

13. randomkoreandude

randomkoreandude Senior member

i mean up until this point havent you been able to buy every single xxl for like 90% off? you are probably still the only XXL rewards member. the shift away from offering XXL is simple ... he would make a run of shirts and sell out of XS, S and medium but have like 5 left in XXL. no one stepped up to buy those shirts. I remember yelling at mauro at least like 10 times (when i was less busy with work and hanging out in his inventory basement) why the hell are there so many XXLs?

so im not saying its your fault, but they werent moving at retail, nor at rewards member pricing, nor at crazy 70+% sale ... so thats why hes not offering the shirts

also, i havent been as intimately involved as i have in the past, but i remember BEFORE he shifted to the preorder model, he was getting better pricing for fabrics and manufacturing at the factories because he bought a crap ton of these shirts in bulk and carried the weight of that risk and cost. now that he is doing pre-order, he will be purchasing much less of each fabric. so that alone could account for the higher prices. i mean mauro can correct me if im wrong, but it makes complete sense looking at the numbers available for each of these limited fabrics. obvi the more limited the fabric, the more expensive it will cost

1 person likes this.
  14. quadomatic

quadomatic Well-Known Member

I appreciate the availability of these new fabrics. I picked up the donegal chambray today (probably not the wisest decision for me financially, but that shirt looks gorgeous...).

I totally agree with the take-it-or-leave-it mentality in that no one is putting a gun to your head and saying you have to buy these more expensive shirts, but I am curious as to whether more quality basic button down shirting will be maintained. For example, I have a WvG blue pinpoint that I absolutely love (the fabric is gorgeous) that was ~$90 at rewards pricing. This was more the type of stuff I was hoping to buy when I signed up. I'm still down to continue to follow the brand as it develops, but it'd be nice to see more basic shirts in the $80 to $100 range drop (e.g. oxfords, plaids). I would still expect those items to follow the pre-order model, but I imagine more volume of shirts like those could be moved as well (so maybe more fabric could be purchased then as well).

15. chadaronni

chadaronni New Member

Mauro - Do you have a rough estimate of when you will be dropping the dress shirt collection?

16. irbe

irbe Senior member

I too have noticed price increasing.

17. falathar

falathar Senior member

Quote: @Nik

Looks like I owe you $2. Seems like SF is home to at least one haggler.

@callmeRichard

We get it, you don't think $175 for a chambray is a fair shake. Vote with your wallet and don't buy it, if enough people agree with you Mauro will get the message.

Dissenting opinions are valuable and I'm not presumptuous enough to think I know what kind of person you are in real life, but behind the anonymity of the internet you're really coming off as nothing but a whiny little ****.

18. pe3brain

pe3brain Senior member

As someone who will likely become a young professional, Political Science major, (trying to intern in D.C. this summer). WG is the brand for me for 3 reasons.

1. the bang for buck I'm tired of buying Jcrew and being disappointed, but BB shirting doesn't appeal to me, because at that much money I want First world made and better fabrics.

2. The variety of fits WG is guaranteed to fit almost anyone. This tells me even if I become really fat as I get older they will still fit me.

3. It is entirely USA Made, this is from design to thread to manufacturing, USA made is one of the largest draws to WG for me I wouldn't support WG otherwise.

Problems I see with attracting other young professionals are the lack of available measurements, educating them on the difference between WG and Armani, Hugo Boss, Jcrew, and or BB, you need to show/tell them why they should spend the extra money for your products, what do you offer that others don't?

Also I got an extra $150 and am really tempted to drop more money on WG....maybe....

19. skeen7908

skeen7908 Senior member

I am subscribed to this thread because I made a post once, but I have never owned any WvG product. I see it pop up in my subscription list and I occasionally read a few posts if im very bored at work.
    I am a young 33yo) professional with a very high disposable income so perhaps I fit your target demographic

Permit me to offer some impressions from an outsider's point of view. I hope no one will take offence, but if you do I don't care. Im posting because I am bored at work, and I think it will be valuable criticism.

1. Anything with broad appeal (in terms of colour and size) always seems to be sold out

2. The product shots are FUGLY.

3. There are too many whimsical items clogging the pages. i have no idea who would pay more than $30 for a shirt with pigs on it. Certainly no one I know

4. There is generally too much whimsy going on altogether (the animal prints, the silly colour names). Not appropriate at this price level

5. The whole rewards thing is just intimidating and confusing to new potential customers. They only see the shirt with a $300 price tag. It just seems to me like it may have been a good idea in theory, but not in practise

6. The whole enterprise seems to be a secret club, where outsiders are left with ugly scraps. Take what is currently available on the store page: ugly colours, odd sizes, weird prints. If all the good things are sold out, at least leave them up and have a "notify me when restocked" button so people dont just dismiss the whole brand

7. Mauro himself comes across as an asshole weirdo constantly whinging about his customers and his life. Obviously I dont know him, but Im just saying thats how it seems

2 people like this.
  20. Mauro

Mauro Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Washington, DC and a few months out of the year in
    @ skeen 7908 at least you got #7 right.

@callmerichard - this is for you so follow closely and then I will refund you for the rewards membership.

Donegal Chambray $ 20.00 per yard total fabric consumption 2.3 yards = total $46

Shirt construction cost $35.00

Buttons - yes the shitty hand lathed buttons that are machined out but made by hand $2.00

Label . 35 cents

Shipping at my end per shirt $5.00

Grand total $88.35 my cost

Whole sale $ 175.00

Retail $350.00

That's how this business works, period. I am not J.Crew I don't make shit in India, china, Sri Lanka , or other places where construction is 2.00 to 5.00 per shirt. I don't order 1,000 to 10,000 meters of fabric to get a price break. This is how business works. Hell, even after making shirts in India a thomas mason fabric from J.Crew retails for $148.00

Don't compare me to Epaulet we don't even come close to each other in the terms of fabric and construction. The fit from what I hear is almost the same. If I used the fabrics Epaulet was using I would just be a better quality product than Epaulet and the prices of the goods would be about 25% to 30% cheaper. Why? Mike, doesn't wholesale. He has store fronts and other expenses . He wouldn't make any money on the Epaulet line and that wouldn't make sense. However ,he does offer a competitive price against other brands in he division coupled with the fact he is a very nice guy makes buying into the brand a no brainer. I would LOVE to have his following. He has built himself something very respectable. That being said are clothing isn't the same but I think he audience would love the value of WvG because they are use to paying $130.00 to $185.00 at RETAIL!!!!

About the XXL you know damn well I will make you a XXL shirt. You pe-order just like all the other people did and get exactly what you want.

Chambray shirts do retail at $300.00 plus shop Self Edge , Mr.porter, Barney's , etc...... All those place you real deal fabrics with real deal factories they bang out outstanding stuff and guess what they are sold at retail.

I am going to do what I have to do. You can hop on board and enjoy the ride or jump ship.

I will try my best to inform people about fabrics and other fun little bit's of info going forward but I can promise I won't be #7

2 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.