• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The New Jil Sander

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah damn. Way too big.

well if anybody wants the black wool/mohair in a 41 lmk.
And if anybody has a 40 in any colour lmk and I might buy it off you

sherigoddart75

Reaction score
Yup, Sincera. I also picked up a navy cotton Sincera last year second-hand, which is weird because I've never seen one listed at a retailer. Quality's there though and I don't think anybody's making reps of Jil right now.

If I picked up a tassel sweater I'd probably trim it I guess. Unless there's cool ways to style it that I haven't thought of.
Yes, I think so too. Could you tell us more about that?

blacklight

Reaction score
To get started, here are some of my favourite looks from SS20

I really want this abbott shirt, but i'm holding out for the black wool and haven't seen it yet.
_ALE0175.jpg

Finally came up on this dirt cheap in my size on Yoox just before my N/Y resolution to stop buying **** I don't need kicked in. And to think, it only took 8 months.

cl smooth

Reaction score
Annoying how Jil is becoming one of those brands that’s not included on sales (eg matches, many items on ssense, etc)

blacklight

Reaction score
Annoying how Jil is becoming one of those brands that’s not included on sales (eg matches, many items on ssense, etc)

I'm in NA and feel like we're the exception to this. Was just having this conversation with someone that there seems to be a few pieces that do well and that everything else goes half off at stockists here while being sold out online. Don't think the market for Jil is what it is in Asia and Europe.

edit: A lot of the SSENSE buy is currently in private sale.

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
good pick up @blacklight ! I still want that too.
I got this seasons black wool kimono a while ago and really love it.

It’s definitely region based.
Matches did 40% off private sale over the last few weeks but only a handful of stuff was included. Ssense didn’t drop prices until the Jil webstore did.
I think brands in general are just trying to be better about keeping their value and not sending everything to 70% off

blacklight

Reaction score
Brief profile of the Meiers for NYT Style:

and

Interview with Ms. Sander ahead of the release of +J S/S21, some shots of which are included in the piece:

Was pretty satisfied with my pickups from +J's fall collection and glad to see they are bringing it back.

Last edited:

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Plus is vaguely outdoor-ish and more sporty line.
Yoga mats, water bottles, sweats, board shorts, insulated parkas, performance fabrics etc.
Basically things that don't find the typical Jil aesthetic and are a bit more relaxed, with an outdoor/sports undercurrent.

There is a Jil Plus x Veilance collab next season if that helps tell the intent.

Mainline is classic Jil; minimalist and tailored etc.
I've got a bunch from both and it's all great, even the bougie yoga mat I bought where the Jil logo is about 70% worn off after a month of use. Nobody will even know I paid a 200% markup for a standard yoga mat :(

bry2000

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks. I really like the Jil mainline and occasional see references to +, without having understood the distinction.

I think Jil mainline really excels with trousers and knits. I think the trousers rival those from high end CM makers in terms of construction. Have not spent a lot of time on the outerwear, but that usually looks excellent as well.

blacklight

Reaction score
Can anyone ID the name of the trouser cut used throughout SS20? Is there a specific name or would they just have been listed as regular-fit or w/e?

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Do you have a pic?
Was it the straight, slightly wide cut?
it’s kind of weird because not many places seem to use the style names, or they’ve done away with style names and use the seasons (aka S.20 Sport pant). Sport pants usually have elastic waists. The only ones I remember the name of are the Alem pants (elasticated pants with two flap pockets at the rear), priamo which are the elasticated pants they’ve been making for a while.
i think the ones in the runway were the contrast stitch back pockets but I’m blanking on the name.

E505A29D-95A8-4E3D-9122-DA2FED73BDAD.jpeg

95786E9E-065C-424D-A886-1537E25B3E99.jpeg

blacklight

Reaction score
Do you have a pic?
Was it the straight, slightly wide cut?
it’s kind of weird because not many places seem to use the style names, or they’ve done away with style names and use the seasons (aka S.20 Sport pant). Sport pants usually have elastic waists. The only ones I remember the name of are the Alem pants (elasticated pants with two flap pockets at the rear), priamo which are the elasticated pants they’ve been making for a while.
i think the ones in the runway were the contrast stitch back pockets but I’m blanking on the name.

View attachment 1577945
View attachment 1577946

The first pair. Reached out to JS customer support a couple weeks back with hopes I'd get lucky on an ID for it but never heard back.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads