• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The New Jil Sander

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I figured I would make a new thread for Jil since there isn't really anything, aside from some side convos in the OAMC thread.

Personally, the last few years of Jil have been really great and the current SS20 season is my favourite so far from the Meiers.

Post your pick ups, opinions, thoughts etc

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
To get started, here are some of my favourite looks from SS20

I really want this abbott shirt, but i'm holding out for the black wool and haven't seen it yet.
_ALE0175.jpg

And i really love all the inverted collar coats and blazers
_ALE0240.jpg

_ALE0313.jpg

_ALE0315.jpg

The linen / silk striped pieces are super nice. I handled this shirt earlier this season it's a really beautiful, airy, slubby silk feel.
_ALE0319.jpg

This washi piece looks really great. So far i've only seen the washi pieces at Totokaelo. I'mn really hoping more stores receive the shirts because it's on my list.
_ALE0480.jpg

armellod.e

Reaction score
Very excited about the Meiers, every season and campaign for the new Jil Sander has been spot-on. Have a wool/mohair shirt from a couple seasons ago that I'm crazy about. Praying I'll be able to pick up a Suez jacket at some point down the line.

Any opinions on this season's tassel/embroidery stuff? I think it looks really beautiful but would also be worried about making them look raggedy.

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is it the Sincera shirt? Oversized button up with an exagerated chest pocket?

Yeah the tassel stuff is cool, it works better on some pieces (amil shirt and knitwear) than it does on others (tees). But overall I like it. I remember reading an interview after the show with them talking about it, and at that point they still don't know if they were going to leave them super long for the production run, or cut them shorter.

armellod.e

Reaction score
Yup, Sincera. I also picked up a navy cotton Sincera last year second-hand, which is weird because I've never seen one listed at a retailer. Quality's there though and I don't think anybody's making reps of Jil right now.

If I picked up a tassel sweater I'd probably trim it I guess. Unless there's cool ways to style it that I haven't thought of.

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've seen some places style the longer tassels by loosely tying it around the back of the waist.

blacklight

Reaction score
To get started, here are some of my favourite looks from SS20

I really want this abbott shirt, but i'm holding out for the black wool and haven't seen it yet.

_ALE0175.jpg

Reminds me of the ARC Desert Shirt by Abasi Rosborough, though the ARC has a bit more of a compact silhouette. Might be worth checking with them to see if anything is to your interest.

Personally very excited for this trench gilet looking thing from AW20. Should be perfect for autumn nights drag racing with my friends on Tatooine.
JS_AW20_look30.jpg

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
At one point I had 3 of the Abasi Arc Desert shirts.
They were cool, but always a bit too slim for me, and i've since sold them all.

blacklight

Reaction score
At one point I had 3 of the Abasi Arc Desert shirts.
They were cool, but always a bit too slim for me, and i've since sold them all.

I own 1 in addition to other AR pieces and funny enough came to the same observation despite being on the slimmer side. Might go for the Abbott you posted if I can grab it at a prettier price.

blacklight

Reaction score
@OccultaVexillum

Tried to grab the Abbott though the sharks over at SSENSE got to it first. Were you ever able to find the black one?

edit: END has it in cotton.

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No not yet, there's still one place i know of with the wool version in my size in the black long sleeve. I just don't feel like spending ~$1000 on it.

blacklight

Reaction score
Best of luck.

Meier Jil always seems to go like hotcakes once its been discounted though I've never seen any of it on other people. Strange, though I also imagine I'm much younger than the target demo.

yunBW

Reaction score
Can anyone able to tell me why Jil sander pieces are relatively on the higher side when compared to many designers and their sale discount isn't as steep as others as well. I was never familiar with the brand and wonder if any member can fill me some information about Jil since their ss20 collection looks pretty nice.

armellod.e

Reaction score
Can't say for certain but I would imagine some of it has to do with financial decisions within the brand. Seems like they downsized/shifted many aspects of their operations (pricing, retail locations, campaigns, etc.) and are raising/restoring the image and value of the name after some unsuccessful collections in the 2010s.

From the pieces I own and have tried on, the fabric and construction is really nice, for pants and jackets in particular. I don't know about discounts but shops only seem to get a small number of items per size. I was hoping the striped cotton/poly short set this season might go a bit lower but I think it's basically sold out everywhere in my size now.

There are some good interviews with the Meiers though if you're interested in the direction they're taking things...

Last edited:

yunBW

Reaction score
Can't say for certain but I would imagine some of it has to do with financial decisions within the brand. Seems like they downsized/shifted many aspects of their operations (pricing, retail locations, campaigns, etc.) and are raising/restoring the image and value of the name after some unsuccessful collections in the 2010s.

From the pieces I own and have tried on, the fabric and construction is really nice, for pants and jackets in particular. I don't know about discounts but shops only seem to get a small number of items per size. I was hoping the striped cotton/poly short set this season might go a bit lower but I think it's basically sold out everywhere in my size now.

There are some good interviews with the Meiers though if you're interested in the direction they're taking things...
Thanks! Jil have definitely been under the radar in the fashion industry for a while after the minimalist trend. I was just surprised how much they charge some of their garments. I assume a lot goes into construction and the detail of the garment.

do you personally think their garments should be at lower or high or the current price is fine when compared to other designer.

I’ll watch some interviews from the current CC and in the future see the pieces in store

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics