• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The new fashion

ajpthng03

Reaction score
Question 1: Whats up with the popped collars? Yea... i'll admit i have popped mine a few times, and it looks damn cool, but for the most part some people just look like they are trying too hard. Thoughts?

Question 2: Whats with the double collar. I think it looks cool but there are a couple of reasons i dont think i could pull it off.
1. It would be hot in the summer
2. It would be hot in the summer

Anyone have any experiene and know what i am talking about. Also, whats some other cool new looks that are hot right now.

NavyStyles

Reaction score
Popped collars? Are you talking about the college students who flip their polo collars, because they think it looks cool? If so, I've discussed this one before -- I believe in a "styles you hate" thread. In any case, don't flip your collar, PLEASE. If you ask me, everyone who tries to pull this one off is trying too hard to fit into a certain group.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sometimes I'll flip half of my collar when I'm wearing a military, work or western-style shirt - apparently Ezra Pound did this, and I liked the association, especially if I am wearing a military style shirt - Ezra Pound meets Che Guevara? Interesting, if nothing else. The double collar look is just stupid - and who wants to be associated with a bunch of fratboys anyway? Do not, do not, pop the collar on a polo - it is just overdone. If you are going to pop your collar, do it to a proper poplin dress shirt or something unconventional.

gregory

Reaction score
igby.jpg
Can someone advise me: - Is this a blazer or winter jacket, etc? - What material do you think it is made of? - Where can I buy a similar one? - It seems that the jacket was constructed very carefully so that it would be able to stand as nicely as it does in the picture, yes?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's just a normal sportsjacket - probably a heavier worsted wool or a flannel. You can flip up the collar on any sportsjact, and it will look like this - handy for keeping out the weather - some jackets have a button under the lapel for that express reason. Occasionally, I've done this even in non-inclement weather, but it's a bit affected, and the possible beating you may be administered will be well deserved. You can buy a sportsjacket anywhere, but if you really want a very traditional American look, go to a very traditional American store. Just not the Andover Shop - they suck (see thread on just that.)

gregory

Reaction score
Thanks LAGuy.

Flipping up the collar is a privillege belonging to the few (you know what I mean*), and even then, best done only every now and then. Qualifications for flipping up other clothing items (e.g. sports jacket) are less stringent.

I saw a young man who wore his polo shirt with the collar flipped up. He was also wearing a mesh cap with an adjustable strap and talking ghetto style. I wanted to cry for him.

*wealthy-looking (not necessarily wealthy), athletic, tall, slim, clear faced, socialable individuals

Sevcom

Reaction score
Flipping up the collar is a privillege belonging to the few (you know what I mean*), and even then, best done only every now and then. Qualifications for flipping up other clothing items (e.g. sports jacket) are less stringent.

*wealthy-looking (not necessarily wealthy), athletic, tall, slim, clear faced, socialable individuals
Not really. Rockers have been doing this forever. It really requires more of a 'I don't give a ****' attitude, which you'll find across the social spectrum, from preps to punks. (Though being tall and slim helps with anything clothing-related.)

gregory

Reaction score
Not really. Rockers have been doing this forever. It really requires more of a 'I don't give a ****' attitude, which you'll find across the social spectrum, from preps to punks. (Though being tall and slim helps with anything clothing-related.)
Perhaps you're right. But don't you think it will particularly pathetic on a "I-could-care-less" guy but one who is also overweight and has a severe acne problem?

Sevcom

Reaction score
But don't you think it will particularly pathetic on a "I-could-care-less" guy but one who is also overweight and has a severe acne problem?
Sure. But a lot of things would look bad on said guy.

I was commenting more on your assertion that one needs to be wealthy(-looking) to pull off this particular look, and that it's a privilege. There's nothing inherently privileged about this, or most looks, and people can wear it whenever and however they want, regardless of personal assets or social standing.

And as for the guy you saw wearing a popped polo with a mesh cap, I'd feel bad for him too. But more because he was probably wearing the popped collar unironically.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was commenting more on your assertion that one needs to be wealthy(-looking) to pull off this particular look, and that it's a privilege.

I actually think that it is easier to pull off looks like this if you are not wealthy or conventionally good looking - you are less likely to look like a poseur and more like the real deal. Imagine what a bunch of wankers the Strokes (or these days, Jet) would look like if they were all buff and looked like they might use the occasional mud mask.

General Koskov

Reaction score
Any thoughts on 'popping' (what a strange word.) the collar of a DB coat? Â I'll be damned if I can even find a good RTW coat to try it on in Winnipeg, so I'm asking because when I first bespeak a suit, I want to know if it is possible for my tailor to cut the lapels and collar in such a way that the peaks don't cut my throat (I, of course, exaggerate) without cutting in the style of the pea coat. Â Ditto for SB peaked lapels. Â In my mind, 'Popping' should always be an option on a non-faddish suit coat--the lapels and collar are derived from rolling down the collar of older-style coats.

Andrew

Reaction score
LA Guy are you saying it's ok to pop the collar of a long sleeved dress shirt? I have never seen anyone do that, but I agree that popping the colar of polo shirts looks ridiculous. Most of the kids at my school wear the pink Lacoste polos and pop the collar and are sportin some cool abercrombie wind pants.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This thread is a bit of a crackup, as when I visited my 91 year old Grandfather last weekend, he was wearing a safari/fishing shirt (probably from Orvis or Filson) with the collar flipped up. He looked darned good. Of course he is one of the most stylish people you will ever meet...

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ditto for SB peaked lapels.  

I do this regularly, especially if I am not wearing a collared shirt.  I have a fairly long neck and moderately sloped shoulders, so if I wear a sportsjacket with the lapels down (and not collared shirt on underneath,) it just looks sort of wierd.  

And yes, I think that you can pop all sort of collars, as long as they are soft construction (although, I only ever you the half-pop, as I wrote before.)  I don't think as stiff collar can even be "popped".

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i sometimes pop my jacket collar when i feel really cold or my shirt collar on a hot day to keep from getting a sunburn on my neck. what's the big deal?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads