• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The new calvin klein and michael kors

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was at Marshall Fields yesterday, and was happy to see that they carry the new collections by Calvin Klein and Michael Kors.

I'll start off with Calvin.  I am under the impression that this replaces the cheaper CK line.  Calvin Klein Collection will still be made, and is his runway line.  Anyway, Calvin Klein was fairly nice.  The quality didn't seem extraordinary, nor did the materials.  Designs were pretty nice - fairly minimalistic - lots of pale pastels, blacks, whites, and neuturals.  Designs were on the conservative side, though some pieces were nice.  Shirts were $50-80, pants $70-90.  I would buy this on sale, I wouldn't pay close to the full retail for it.

Michael by Michael Kors - what a disapointment.  I had heard some hype to this, but was very unimpressed at the actual garments.  Shirt quality was on par with Hugo Boss, but slacks/jackets/suits were far below that.  Some of the shirts were okay, nice striped patterns, and there was one light blue shirt in a nice twill (100% cotton, but thick and slightly shimmery).  Prices for shirts were $70-90.  The slacks and suits were the worst.  The material felt very artificial, and coarse.  The jackets and slacks felt like they had been dry cleaned and pressed 10 times.  

There was one interesting coat - a tan safari-style coat with several cargo pockets on it.  However, it looked as though it was trying too hard.  Too many pockets and zippers.

Also, the 'signature' touch for the Michael line was orange thread.  The shirts had some of the buttons (either cuff buttons, collar buttons, or the bottom shirt button - I can't remember) sewn in the orange thread, and the pants and casual jackets also had details/stitching done in orange thread.  The worst thing was that on the suits, the jackets had their sleeve buttons sewn on with the bright orange thread.  This would be fine for a very casual jacket, but I was under the impression these suits were meant for office wear.  The orange was way too much.  

Anyone else care to comment?

MikeF

Reaction score
Calvin Klein Collection is not Calvin Klein's "runway" line. It's another licensed collection of only fair quality (comparable to Armani Collezioni).

The "runway" line is Calvin Klein Black Label, which is, I think, available only through Calvin Klein boutiques. Prices are comparable to Armani Classico - very, very pricey, particularly for what it is.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Calvin Klein Collection is not Calvin Klein's "runway" line.  It's another licensed collection of only fair quality (comparable to Armani Collezioni).

The "runway" line is Calvin Klein Black Label, which is, I think, available only through Calvin Klein boutiques.  Prices are comparable to Armani Classico - very, very pricey, particularly for what it is.
Wow, I thought for some reason that Collection was the high-end line. I've never seen the black label in person, as I have not been inside a CK botique. I had no idea that the prices were so high.

Do you know if CK Collection is still in existance?

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
that's a shame, I was hoping for more from these lines
sad.gif

MikeF

Reaction score
Yes, Calvin Klein Collection is still being produced. I don't know who has the license right now - until 2002, it was Mariella Burani, then Gruppo GFT. I think it may now be Vestimenta, but who knows. Occasionally, Calvin Klein Black Label stuff shows up on eBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=3496491215 http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....2634052 Not the prettiest stuff, and definitely not representative of the collection. Most of the Calvin Klein Black Label suits I've seen are fully canvassed, and cut in a very distinctive style: very narrow lapels, no vent, a la Cary Grant in North by Northwest, etc.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, Calvin Klein Collection is still being produced. Â I don't know who has the license right now - until 2002, it was Mariella Burani, then Gruppo GFT. Â I think it may now be Vestimenta, but who knows. Â Occasionally, Calvin Klein Black Label stuff shows up on eBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=3496491215 http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....2634052 Not the prettiest stuff, and definitely not representative of the collection. Â Most of the Calvin Klein Black Label suits I've seen are fully canvassed, and cut in a very distinctive style: very narrow lapels, no vent, a la Cary Grant in North by Northwest, etc.
I can't believe that the NWT jacket is only $135. If the quality is as you say it is (canvassed), that seems like an awesome deal. Very pretty fabric and cut, too. If it were my size, and if I had more of a need for tailored clothing, I'd pick it up right away.

TomW

Reaction score
Vestimenta produced the licesened wear for Spring/Summer 04 - I picked up a few pieces at deep (75-80% off) discount and it all has Vestimenta as the manufacturer. I haven't looked at the Fall/Winter collection yet - don't usually look at all until mid/end of season, as I'd never pay retail for it, but it is much better than CK and a great deal at CK prices (or lower).

itzamazing

Reaction score
I took a look at both of these bridge lines in Macy's yesterday and was unimpressed. The Michael line looked very, very cheap. There's nothing even remotely interesting about the collection. The stitching on some of the leathers and pants was just plain awful. I saw that orange stitching on a brown leather blazer ($400) and immediately thought, what were the designers thinking. It made it look cartoonish. I agree about the pants, the wool didn't even drape well on the mannequins. The Calvin Klein line was a bit better, but again, the pants looked horrible. Some of the items reminded me of DKNY's dressier items (off topic, but DKNY pants are selling for $225
confused.gif
?) At these pricepoints, I'm assuming they are targeting the Banana Republic customer, and I think they may be successful. Based on what I saw, I would not even buy items from the lines on sale.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Calvin Klein Collection is not Calvin Klein's "runway" line. It's another licensed collection of only fair quality (comparable to Armani Collezioni).

The "runway" line is Calvin Klein Black Label, which is, I think, available only through Calvin Klein boutiques. Prices are comparable to Armani Classico - very, very pricey, particularly for what it is.
I could swear that I saw CK black label in either NM or Saks...

Jon.

hermes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
actually versace man has it right

all of calvin klein's runway pieces will now be sold under the name 'calvin klein collection' from what i've read in several different sources

it will be very confusing for a while

slave2fashion

Reaction score
Keep in mind, Calvin Klein and Michael Kors are first and foremost women's designers, and so they provide a much higher level of quality for the ladies. Women usually are more demanding than men anyway. I would tend to believe that women are buying their boyfriends/husbands Klein and Kors because they wear those designers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics