• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The New Brooks Brothers

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How badly were you picked on as a kid?

dude, you waltzed into this thread and tried to pick a fight (twice) out of no where, for no reason

then accused people of talking big in their internet safe spaces when they made fun of you

sounds like a pretty childish m.o. if I’ve ever read one

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You remind me of students who read Ayn Rand once and love bringing objectivism/ libertarianism into every class discussion.

Not for nothing, didn’t you right an entire article with this premise when J Crew (maybe BB) declared bankruptcy?

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Did those mourning the close of the factory buy a lot of the merch produced there? Or is it just the cool thing to mourn this week?
I did in my younger days.

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's some talk about the Garland factory reopening. It may happen next month or in August.

The old Brooks Brothers Garland shirt factory has been sold to an apparel manufacturing company. I don't have any details beyond the fact that the deal has closed.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
People bemoaning the loss of a retailer who never actually shopped there.

Yes, I think people should shop at certain places if they want to see those places survive.

I don't have a problem with Viral's general point. It's just that, any time there's any discussion anywhere about manufacturing or quality, he pops in with his single point. And it's never even a point, it's always just a snide remark about how no one should be discussing this. His post is really just to shut down discussions, not to push them forward. I think it's needlessly confrontational and adds little to nothing to the conversation. It's reasonable to say "there's this other dimension to this story," while also seeing the different nuances and helping to make the discussion more interesting.

The old Brooks Brothers Garland shirt factory has been sold to an apparel manufacturing company. I don't have any details beyond the fact that the deal has closed.

This is also what I heard. Do you know if they'll be making shirts?

I also saw a post somewhere by some former Garland factory workers who said something like "big things to come." Do you know if the old employees are involved with the new project?

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
dude, you waltzed into this thread and tried to pick a fight (twice) out of no where, for no reason

then accused people of talking big in their internet safe spaces when they made fun of you

sounds like a pretty childish m.o. if I’ve ever read one
I don’t pick fights but if that how you interpret this then good for you.

people absolutely talk big on the internet and just cuz you like Derek doesn’t mean he doesn’t do that also - I’m merely pointing it out.

And nobody makes fun of me - ever - because I’m not that important

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, I think people should shop at certain places if they want to see those places survive.

I don't have a problem with Viral's general point. It's just that, any time there's any discussion anywhere about manufacturing or quality, he pops in with his single point. And it's never even a point, it's always just a snide remark about how no one should be discussing this. His post is really just to shut down discussions, not to push them forward. I think it's needlessly confrontational and adds little to nothing to the conversation. It's reasonable to say "there's this other dimension to this story," while also seeing the different nuances and helping to make the discussion more interesting.

This is also what I heard. Do you know if they'll be making shirts?

I also saw a post somewhere by some former Garland factory workers who said something like "big things to come." Do you know if the old employees are involved with the new project?
Bruh……what’s understood ain’t gotta be explained. This forum is like the skit on In Living Color where Damon Wayans plays an over educated lifer in jail who eventually becomes too well-read for his own good.

Who REALLY give **** about quality??? People care about looks and price 99/100 times. And when did American factory workers become highly-skilled artisans who make world-class garments?? The majority of factory workers in America are super average (no job shaming, just facts - feel free to do that same work for a living and change the narrative) and the last time I saw a true representation of average Americans was Jan 6th. Were y’all there too??

Last edited:

Southwick

Reaction score
Did those mourning the close of the factory buy a lot of the merch produced there? Or is it just the cool thing to mourn this week?
Uh, actually, if you are really interested in an answer, yes, I‘ve worn nothing but Southwick and Corbin suits for 35 years.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Bruh……what’s understood ain’t gotta be explained. This forum is like the skit on In Living Color where Damon Wayans plays an over educated lifer in jail who eventually becomes too well read for his own good.

Who REALLY give **** about quality??? People care about looks and price 99/100 times. And when did American factory workouts become highly-skilled artisans who make world-class garments?? The majority of factory workers in America are super average (no job shaming, just facts - feel free to do that same work for a living and change the narrative) and the last time I saw a true representation of average Americans was Jan 6th. Were y’all there too??

I think it's reasonable to both care about quality and not reduce everything to quality. It doesn't have to be an either/ or thing.

Have no idea what you're talking about regarding January 6th. Not sure how that's relevant to this discussion.

I don't revel in the fact that some people lost their jobs. For some of these people, these are the only economic opportunities they have in their community. At the same time, I also recognize that there are jobs produced offshore. I'm not a nationalist or anything, but this doesn't mean that I also don't feel bad when I see Americans lose their jobs. Brings me no pleasure to see an American factory get shut down.

For certain products, I do care about where they get made. I buy things partly for their stories. I thought it was special when Brooks Brothers had their relationship with Alden, as I regard them to be two of the most iconic American clothing companies. I thought the collaboration was special. I don't think the shoes are the same when they offshored the work. Even if the designs were just as good (and they're not), there's something missing about that special brand history.

When they discontinued those iconic Brooks Brothers/ Alden styles - the unlined shell cordovan LHS and the tassel loafer with the foxing at the back -- I thought that was a loss. For people who enjoy American style, there's something special about wearing that on your feet. For me, wearing the Italian-made version isn't the same.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics