• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The New Brooks Brothers

Panama

Reaction score
This my first Southwick suit, but my father had several and loves them very much. It is very tragic news indeed, I wish that the buyer had plans to continue the brand, but I would venture it's going to be another mixed use property like their current holdings. Think the Ferry Building in San Francisco. Which to be fair, is a cool place to buy cheese and stuff, but I'd rather buy more Southwick suits.

Yeah, so buy anything you're interested in now, there probably won't be any more of it.

I was being a little sardonic, but my idea was they could offer a very traditional American style at a similar or slightly higher price point to SuSu and be an option for people who are ballin' on a budget, but don't want pants that crush your groin like cherry tomatoes in a poorly made caprese salad.

This is a great question. I would suppose good customer service in a retail environment starts with an excellent greeting, or in the PDX Brooks Brothers location, lack thereof. Been there multiple times and never been greeted or acknowledged until after being in the store several minutes which is far too late. You might say I am nitpicking, but in any retail environment, especially one where commission might be on the line I should not have to find a sales associate. It is certainly possible for folks to be overeager or follow me around to much, but I'm forgiving of over-attentiveness. At least let me know you see my presence and you're there to help. An example where the customer service is good (albeit I don't really buy clothes there because the product is usually not my thing), is Nordstrom. You can't even walk by the shoe department without someone at least saying hi.
I just want to get in and get out. If I need assistance I will ask. I don't want to be bothered as soon as I step into a store.

Verniza

Reaction score
I was wondering if any of our experienced members here could advise on this product,

Question:
1) Are these made in the southwick factory?
2) Any canvassing?
3) Any advise on the length of these overcoats, short or regular?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I was wondering if any of our experienced members here could advise on this product,

Question:
1) Are these made in the southwick factory?
2) Any canvassing?
3) Any advise on the length of these overcoats, short or regular?

1. My understanding is that the Southwick factory has closed. The old location is now an Amazon distribution center. However, there may be Southwick garments lingering on the website. I believe new USA-made garments are made at Hickey Freeman.

2. I don't know anything about that specific coat, unfortunately.

3. I don't know anything about the sizing on those coats. Personally, I prefer a much longer coat, but some men like shorter coats because they're easier to wear if you're getting in and out of cars, they may suit a slim silhouette better, and/ or they want a younger-looking silhouette. If you order that coat, I would do the regular, not short, as the coat looks short enough.

Verniza

Reaction score
1. My understanding is that the Southwick factory has closed. The old location is now an Amazon distribution center. However, there may be Southwick garments lingering on the website. I believe new USA-made garments are made at Hickey Freeman.

2. I don't know anything about that specific coat, unfortunately.

3. I don't know anything about the sizing on those coats. Personally, I prefer a much longer coat, but some men like shorter coats because they're easier to wear if you're getting in and out of cars, they may suit a slim silhouette better, and/ or they want a younger-looking silhouette. If you order that coat, I would do the regular, not short, as the coat looks short enough.

Thanks for this!

Am hoping since it was a made in the US under the GF line that it would be a canvassed coat.

Regarding the length, I am pretty short, at 5'4 and I would like the coat to end at the middle of my knee joint. Regular coat lengths that span 40" BOC extends to my mid calves which is a bit too long and it's pretty rare to see overcoats being offered in a short length configuration.

A 37" coat length would actually be just nice for me, considering that 28" jackets already cover my peaches fully.

compuccesory

Reaction score
Thanks for this!

Am hoping since it was a made in the US under the GF line that it would be a canvassed coat.

Regarding the length, I am pretty short, at 5'4 and I would like the coat to end at the middle of my knee joint. Regular coat lengths that span 40" BOC extends to my mid calves which is a bit too long and it's pretty rare to see overcoats being offered in a short length configuration.

A 37" coat length would actually be just nice for me, considering that 28" jackets already cover my peaches fully.

Why would you want an overcoat to be canvased? I've never heard of anyone making a canvased overcoat.

emptym

Reaction score
Overcoats are generally canvased.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Regular coat lengths that span 40" BOC extends to my mid calves which is a bit too long and it's pretty rare to see overcoats being offered in a short length configuration.

One reason being that when it’s shorter, it ceases to be an overcoat.

You may want to look at a car coat instead.

knittieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went to a BB outlet yesterday and was intrigued to find that most of the merchandise (at least that I saw) was actual mainline stuff, not made-for-the-outlet.

On the other hand, the prices weren't any better than what you would pay online.

Last edited:

Southwick

Reaction score
I’m wracking my memory, and I’ve tried to search this thread, and I’m coming up empty. Earlier in the thread we were discussing dress shirt manufacturers, and it was mentioned that one Chinese company makes most all of the branded shirts sold in the US. It was TAK, or TAG, or something like that. Can anyone help me out?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I’m wracking my memory, and I’ve tried to search this thread, and I’m coming up empty. Earlier in the thread we were discussing dress shirt manufacturers, and it was mentioned that one Chinese company makes most all of the branded shirts sold in the US. It was TAK, or TAG, or something like that. Can anyone help me out?

TAL

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes!! Big evil American corporation looking to produce goods at a low cost and sell at a higher price….,isn’t it something? These guys should be jail!!!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads