• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The New Brooks Brothers

knittieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I found the article interesting, but have to wonder if the LaBontes should have been a bit more prepared for a tenant abandoning them and their stuff. I would think this is not all that uncommon in the world of rented warehouses. I know it happens in the self-storage and residential-apartment industry all the time, so the owners factor abandoned-goods disposal into their costs. When a company goes bankrupt, they always stop paying their bills, and people who have sold them goods or lent them money always end up not getting paid. That's why they often require deposits or collateral or excellent credit beforehand. That's why merchants stopped selling to Barney's, because they were afraid they weren't going to get paid. Shouldn't the LaBontes have required a sizable upfront deposit, or maybe had insurance for tenant abandonments? I don't know how warehouse rentals work, but I can't help feeling that perhaps the LaBontes, being new to the business, thought, "Hey, it's Brooks Brothers, they've been around forever," and didn't take proper precautions. And now they are saying that Brooks Brothers should act differently (more responsibly) than other merchants because of its long history and tradition. Maybe I just don't know enough about the industry, but I feel that if this wasn't Brooks Brothers, it would not be worth a news story

Southwick

Reaction score
I found the article interesting, but have to wonder if the LaBontes should have been a bit more prepared for a tenant abandoning them and their stuff. I would think this is not all that uncommon in the world of rented warehouses. I know it happens in the self-storage and residential-apartment industry all the time, so the owners factor abandoned-goods disposal into their costs. When a company goes bankrupt, they always stop paying their bills, and people who have sold them goods or lent them money always end up not getting paid. That's why they often require deposits or collateral or excellent credit beforehand. That's why merchants stopped selling to Barney's, because they were afraid they weren't going to get paid. Shouldn't the LaBontes have required a sizable upfront deposit, or maybe had insurance for tenant abandonments? I don't know how warehouse rentals work, but I can't help feeling that perhaps the LaBontes, being new to the business, thought, "Hey, it's Brooks Brothers, they've been around forever," and didn't take proper precautions. And now they are saying that Brooks Brothers should act differently (more responsibly) than other merchants because of its long history and tradition. Maybe I just don't know enough about the industry, but I feel that if this wasn't Brooks Brothers, it would not be worth a news story
Sad but probably correct.

pacnyc

Reaction score
Incidentally, I stopped in the Sixth Avenue BB a couple weeks ago and recognized a saleswoman from the Madison Avenue store. She confirmed that the old flagship location is closed for good. My father and my grandfather shopped there, and I suppose Dad’s taking me to Brooks Brothers as a kid for my school clothes is how I developed a lifelong habit of dressing with a little respect for myself as well as for those who have to look at me. Here’s a picture I snapped last time I walked by 44th and Madison.
8B7F0D6E-50EE-4CAB-9E35-9A8AD89B9B12.jpeg

Norwester

Reaction score
I was in New York City two years ago and really wanted to drop by the 346 Madison Ave store. But I was with my girlfriend whose tastes run more towards the inexpensive and disposable, so instead I spent nearly an hour in a nearby Uniqlo keeping her company as she bought 3 shirts for $40. Very sad to see that I will never get the chance to go inside. It seems the building is still owned by Del Vecchio, and will probably fetch more than the selling price for Brooks Brothers itself.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From my posting in Ivy Style, April 2nd:

According to a salesman at my local BB in PaloAlto CA when I spoke with him a few months
ago, the store will remain open because the Palo Alto shopping center is already owned by
the Simon Property Group. I haven’t checked recently to see if the store is still open.
Not that it matters much. All I buy from BB are PJs and socks.

Note: I checked yesterday. The store is open and customers are entering.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was in New York City two years ago and really wanted to drop by the 346 Madison Ave store. But I was with my girlfriend whose tastes run more towards the inexpensive and disposable, so instead I spent nearly an hour in a nearby Uniqlo keeping her company as she bought 3 shirts for $40. Very sad to see that I will never get the chance to go inside. It seems the building is still owned by Del Vecchio, and will probably fetch more than the selling price for Brooks Brothers itself.

trust me when I tell you, you didn’t miss much. Just imagine your average Brooks Brothers but larger. There was nothing special about it. The only thing different was the floor with their home collection.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not like the "good old days", pre- 1980, when on the street floor there
was a counter for bespoke shirts which displayed a variety of collar
styles not seen on RTW Brooks shirts at the time.It inspired me to
buy detached collar shirts at Harrods 50+ years ago.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Is there anywhere that comes close to the old school Madison Ave Brook Brothers model/vibe out there currently?

If you mean the vibe -- WASPy clothes -- there are a ton of shops that offer that vibe.

If you mean the actual model -- dressing a broad section of the coastal white-collar workers and American elites -- I think that model has died.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you mean the vibe -- WASPy clothes -- there are a ton of shops that offer that vibe.

If you mean the actual model -- dressing a broad section of the coastal white-collar workers and American elites -- I think that model has died.

sorry, I meant places where the norm is for customers to have a long lasting, even cross-generational, relationship with a particular SA

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
sorry, I meant places where the norm is for customers to have a long lasting, even cross-generational, relationship with a particular SA

I can't think of an example. Maybe there are shops where sometimes a dad introduces his son to his SA, but I can't think of an example where that's the "model."

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Paul Stuart was like that to some degree.
I do not know about the present.
Press and Chipp had an informal "clubby" atmosphere
with basically the same salespeople over the years. through the 80s.
H Herzfeld, New York Haberdasher, was a slightly more formal version
of Press/Chipp.
Same for the recently-closed Hound in San Francisco.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads