• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The New Brooks Brothers

stuffedsuperdud

Reaction score
He's my favourite spy novelist by far, and I did like the movie adaptation for The Spy Who Came In from the Cold. Not exactly a spy film, but The Day of the Jackal is also a great secret service/assassin film, and also great sartorially.

Spy Who Came In From The Cold was actually the first of his books I ever read, before I got into the Smiley stuff. A pretty good intro to Le Carre's rather bleak world: Everything is dark, good guys are bad and bad guys are good, no one wins, valar morghulis. Even the weather always sucks except for the Spanish parts of the TV adaptation of Night Manager. Yeeesh. Thanks for nothing, John.

All that said, I can't believe it took me until last weekend to see the movie adaptation of The Tailor of Panama, an unusually lighthearted take on a Le Carre book, which even includes Pierce Brosnan at the height of his time as Bond! The scenes where his character is crammed in the fitting booth, with Geoffrey Rush's Harry Pendel (the titular tailor) whispering in his ear about Savile Row and the kinds of tropical fabrics ideal for Central America, are worth the price of admission for any self-respecting SF-forumite.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Please respect the original meaning of words. Yogurt is Turkish, deriving from the Old Turkish root yog (meaning to condense or intensify). As such, there's no such thing as Greek yogurt. In Greece, it would be γιαούρτι (or giaoúrti).

I once made a relatively similar mistake at the Greek restaurant. The waiter asked if I wanted Greek coffee with my dessert. I asked him to describe what that was. The description was basically the same as for Turkish coffee.

I exclaimed, “oh! That’s like Turkish coffee.” He nearly took my head off.

VeritasAequitas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Non Bond question (I haven’t been able to make it all the way through a single one).

I’ve found BB regent fit dress shirt to be the best fitting OTR shirt I’ve worn. I buy them specifically for that reason. Who would make a shirt of better quality but similar fit?

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I once made a relatively similar mistake at the Greek restaurant. The waiter asked if I wanted Greek coffee with my dessert. I asked him to describe what that was. The description was basically the same as for Turkish coffee.

I exclaimed, “oh! That’s like Turkish coffee.” He nearly took my head off.
I was in Istanbul once and heard someone describe raki as "Turkish ouzo".

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Non Bond question (I haven’t been able to make it all the way through a single one).

I’ve found BB regent fit dress shirt to be the best fitting OTR shirt I’ve worn. I buy them specifically for that reason. Who would make a shirt of better quality but similar fit?

Michael Spencer's patterns closely follow Brooks. I believe they label their version of Regent as "slim," but check with them. They are not taking orders right now because they're in the middle of switching factories, but will be up in a couple of months.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was in Istanbul once and heard someone describe raki as "Turkish ouzo".
I used love being around NATO folks as they always seemed to be a Greek and Turk arguing over who’s stuff was better. Ouzo vs Raki, hummus and pita, etc. kind of funny and tiresome at the same time.

VeritasAequitas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Michael Spencer's patterns closely follow Brooks. I believe they label their version of Regent as "slim," but check with them. They are not taking orders right now because they're in the middle of switching factories, but will be up in a couple of months.
Thanks! Wasn’t familiar with Spencer. What about an OTR option? What would be a couple of well regarded makes?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks! Wasn’t familiar with Spencer. What about an OTR option? What would be a couple of well regarded makes?

There are lots of places that make nice dress shirts. I thought you were after the Regent fit in particular. Spencer is the only company that I know of that has replicated that fit. If you want something that fits similar, but off the rack, I'm not sure. Proper Cloth can somewhat get close to a fit for a ready-made shirt if you supply them with the measurements of the shirt you want copied. But they are again a custom shirtmaker.

I'm not that familiar with the OTR shirt market, but some years ago, I tried on a G. Inglese shirt and was impressed with it. I also handled a 100 Hands fully handmade shirt about two years ago and was impressed with the make, although I didn't try the shirt on.

VeritasAequitas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are lots of places that make nice dress shirts. I thought you were after the Regent fit in particular. Spencer is the only company that I know of that has replicated that fit. If you want something that fits similar, but off the rack, I'm not sure. Proper Cloth can somewhat get close to a fit for a ready-made shirt if you supply them with the measurements of the shirt you want copied. But they are again a custom shirtmaker.

I'm not that familiar with the OTR shirt market, but some years ago, I tried on a G. Inglese shirt and was impressed with it. I also handled a 100 Hands fully handmade shirt about two years ago and was impressed with the make, although I didn't try the shirt on.
Thanks. I’m pretty rough on shirts so I’ve stayed away from bespoke but I may give Spencer a whirl.

aristoi bcn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BB shirt?

Gianni Agnelli BB shirt.jpg

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try Hilditch and Key. Better quality than BB.
I am not sure whether the Contemporary model
would still be too full for you. The website has fitting
charts.They are on sale now.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads