• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The New Brooks Brothers

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reports of Brooks Brothers' death were greatly exaggerated. Michael Bastian was just named Creative Director. I can't wait to see his takes on American trad and sportswear.

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score
I've never been a customer of Brooks Brothers. I have always found their billion different fits and different product lines confusing. It is good to hear that they are deciding to trim all that down. I have always preferred to support smaller businesses, but I would be happy to see Brooks do well. I think that would be good for traditional menswear on the whole.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, both Chicago stores are closed. And I mean closed for good. Maybe their business model will change.

Their Madison Avenue store was the only store shut down in the summer still.

Alden, Allen Edmonds, Paul Stuart, Carmina, and various other stores were all open for business within 2 blocks of it.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Their menswear models aren't helping their cause. Not a huge influence but most of them look about 18 years old.

Most of their reliable clientele have either long since moved on or are dead. They're trying to appeal to younger buyers.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Their Madison Avenue store was the only store shut down in the summer still.

Alden, Allen Edmonds, Paul Stuart, Carmina, and various other stores were all open for business within 2 blocks of it.
their rent/operating costs prolly 20X greater than those other places you named.

But what does it matter? They've emerged from this and are getting back to business......good for them!

wkt

Reaction score
Isn't Brooks Brothers the "GAP" of the menswear world?

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Isn't Brooks Brothers the "GAP" of the menswear world?

If GAP were largely forgotten and sold anything but useful basics, maybe.

My most recent memory of going into Brooks Brothers was shopping for some boxers and finding none that weren't absolute trash - and that was several years ago, after three martinis.

Perhaps they're the Walmart, but after all it might be asking too much of Brooks Brothers to offer refreshments to their customers. Civilization and all that.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Brooks Brothers is about as far from Gap as you can imagine, even in whatever form it is today. It's truly one of the greatest American companies. Whether they can revive it in a way that would be satisfactory to fans, I don't know. But it's tied in my mind with Ralph Lauren in terms of legacy.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If GAP were largely forgotten and sold anything but useful basics, maybe.

My most recent memory of going into Brooks Brothers was shopping for some boxers and finding none that weren't absolute trash - and that was several years ago, after three martinis.

Perhaps they're the Walmart, but after all it might be asking too much of Brooks Brothers to offer refreshments to their customers. Civilization and all that.
So you were hammered and looking for underwear?

Where do you shop? Like, when you’re sober?

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So you were hammered and looking for underwear?

Where do you shop? Like, when you’re sober?

Who on earth shops when they're sober? What an appalling drag...

Do you mean for underwear? Calvin Klein, of course - Tom Ford for fun days.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads