• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The New Brooks Brothers

Bavo

Reaction score
I think it's reasonable to both care about quality and not reduce everything to quality. It doesn't have to be an either/ or thing.

Have no idea what you're talking about regarding January 6th. Not sure how that's relevant to this discussion.

I don't revel in the fact that some people lost their jobs. For some of these people, these are the only economic opportunities they have in their community. At the same time, I also recognize that there are jobs produced offshore. I'm not a nationalist or anything, but this doesn't mean that I also don't feel bad when I see Americans lose their jobs. Brings me no pleasure to see an American factory get shut down.

For certain products, I do care about where they get made. I buy things partly for their stories. I thought it was special when Brooks Brothers had their relationship with Alden, as I regard them to be two of the most iconic American clothing companies. I thought the collaboration was special. I don't think the shoes are the same when they offshored the work. Even if the designs were just as good (and they're not), there's something missing about that special brand history.

When they discontinued those iconic Brooks Brothers/ Alden styles - the unlined shell cordovan LHS and the tassel loafer with the foxing at the back -- I thought that was a loss. For people who enjoy American style, there's something special about wearing that on your feet. For me, wearing the Italian-made version isn't the same.
Fortunately, we can still buy Alden. I wish Southwick could have stayed independent and survived the fire sale.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Uh, actually, if you are really interested in an answer, yes, I‘ve worn nothing but Southwick and Corbin suits for 35 years.
great! Where do you go from here?

Clearly you will not walk around naked, right? Where will you buy clothes from now?

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it's reasonable to both care about quality and not reduce everything to quality. It doesn't have to be an either/ or thing.

Have no idea what you're talking about regarding January 6th. Not sure how that's relevant to this discussion.

I don't revel in the fact that some people lost their jobs. For some of these people, these are the only economic opportunities they have in their community. At the same time, I also recognize that there are jobs produced offshore. I'm not a nationalist or anything, but this doesn't mean that I also don't feel bad when I see Americans lose their jobs. Brings me no pleasure to see an American factory get shut down.

For certain products, I do care about where they get made. I buy things partly for their stories. I thought it was special when Brooks Brothers had their relationship with Alden, as I regard them to be two of the most iconic American clothing companies. I thought the collaboration was special. I don't think the shoes are the same when they offshored the work. Even if the designs were just as good (and they're not), there's something missing about that special brand history.

When they discontinued those iconic Brooks Brothers/ Alden styles - the unlined shell cordovan LHS and the tassel loafer with the foxing at the back -- I thought that was a loss. For people who enjoy American style, there's something special about wearing that on your feet. For me, wearing the Italian-made version isn't the same.
Romanticizing this won't make your argument better or even change any of the facts - the factory is now closed and not to anyone's pleasure. All those factory workers will have to find new work which really sucks. But at the end of the day it's just another closed factory. However, will any of them start making clothes on their own given that they know the whole process? That would be something, right? But guess what........this is America :(

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would anyone care to speculate how Noam Chomsky feels about the demise of Brooks Brothers?
Smug, because he sells his books through Amazon.

Marc Voorhees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Derrida has a comment here

“To pretend, I actually do the thing: I have therefore only pretended to pretend.”

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
By the way, I was in the BB outlet in Aurora about 6 weeks ago and they had some Peal branded C&J ankle boots on sale. Limited colors and sizes but worth checking out if anyone is interested and in the area.

pasadena man

Reaction score
Derrida has a comment here

“To pretend, I actually do the thing: I have therefore only pretended to pretend.”
One of the wonderful idiosyncrasies of French public life is the integration of philosophers into public discourse. France falls in the World Cup quarter finals, what consolation can Alain Badiou offer a heartbroken French people? Chanel’s spring collection dazzles; let’s get Etienne Balibar’s take.

Last edited:

M Parenti

Reaction score
The old Brooks Brothers Garland shirt factory has been sold to an apparel manufacturing company. I don't have any details beyond the fact that the deal has closed.
Bought by the company that owns the Hartmarx factory (W. Diamond) in IL. Might actually just be HSM.

Last edited:

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
One of the wonderful idiosyncrasies of French public life is the integration of philosophers into public discourse. France falls in the World Cup quarter finals, what consolation can Alain Badiou offer a heartbroken French people? Chanel’s spring collection dazzles; let’s get Etienne Balibar’s take.
Back in the early 80's I did an architectural project for a French professor at Cal. That term his roommate was Foucault ... who had come to teach at Berkeley. Nothing like discussing plaster finishes with a French philosopher. ;)

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Back in the early 80's I did an architectural project for a French professor at Cal. That term his roommate was Foucault ... who had come to teach at Berkeley. Nothing like discussing plaster finishes with a French philosopher. ;)
'And this moulding here is clearly an expression of power and dominance... '

If I should ever grow so bald, I'll be sure to polish my head with peanut oil.

• Haha
Reactions: RSS

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Favorite Shorts Length

• Above the knee

• Knee length

• Below the knee

• None of the above

• Mid-thigh ("short shorts")

Results are only viewable after voting.