The New Bentley Mulsanne

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by hypersonic, Jul 5, 2009.

1. emmanuel

emmanuel Senior member

2. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

Does anyone commenting in this thread own a Rolls or a Bentley or are you a likely buyer in the next couple of years?
    I am not a car guy so I can't imagine being that interested in the design of these cars unless I was going to buy one. But I am wondering whether people comment on the designs of these brands because they are likely buyers or simply because they are into cars and follow cars the way sports fans follow teams (even though they don't play for them and have nothing riding on the outcome, i.e., because it is fun).

For me, I think that's a good analogy. I'm an enthusiast and follow cars the way I follow sports.

You could also equate it to art enthusiasm. I see cars as mechanical art, moving sculptures. In the same way art lovers go to museums to see paintings, I think you can be interested in cars without having to own them. Different strokes...

3. Southern-Nupe

Southern-Nupe Senior member

For me, I think that's a good analogy. I'm an enthusiast and follow cars the way I follow sports.

You could also equate it to art enthusiasm. I see cars as mechanical art, moving sculptures. In the same way art lovers go to museums to see paintings, I think you can be interested in cars without having to own them. Different strokes...

+1

4. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

This makes sense to me, even if it doesn't make sense for me.

5. JetBlast

JetBlast Senior member

+1. I will most likely never own such a car in my life, unfortunately; but I still recognize a well-designed and good-looking motorcar as a sort of artform.

6. Roikins

Roikins Senior member

Here it is, fresh from my camera at its unveiling at Pebble Beach today: [​IMG] Ahnold was there to talk about how great it is since it is a "Flexfuel" vehicle so rich people can pump ethanol into it and feel good about lining the pockets of corn farmers.

7. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

looks like a fattened up old Rover, and the shoulder line rising in the back just makes it look confused and bloated. The old Arnage was infinitely more handsome for what it was.

8. hypersonic

hypersonic Senior member

The good news is: It's finally unveiled!

The bad news: It's bloody hideous!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. hypersonic

hypersonic Senior member

Here it is, fresh from my camera at its unveiling at Pebble Beach today:

[​IMG]

Ahnold was there to talk about how great it is since it is a "Flexfuel" vehicle so rich people can pump ethanol into it and feel good about lining the pockets of corn farmers.

Roikins,

Lucky guy to be there [​IMG]

...but, please tell me that it looks better in real life [​IMG]

10. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Suitsupply-sider

Here it is, fresh from my camera at its unveiling at Pebble Beach today:

[​IMG]

Ahnold was there to talk about how great it is since it is a "Flexfuel" vehicle so rich people can pump ethanol into it and feel good about lining the pockets of corn farmers.

Like the headlights but the fat front air dam really is ugly.

11. SField

SField Senior member

That looks like that chrysler gangster car.

12. Roikins

Roikins Senior member

Roikins,

Lucky guy to be there [​IMG]

...but, please tell me that it looks better in real life [​IMG]

Sadly, it looks just like it does in the photos. Lots of the vintage class winners were so much better.

13. Flambeur

Flambeur Senior member

I like it. I think it will look good IRL.

14. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Suitsupply-sider

Next up are the mod shops to create this look on a 300C body.

15. V12RR

V12RR New Member

What a mockery! A brand killer!! It's basically an Arnage tacked onto a Continental Flying Spur Speed and it just doesn't work! [​IMG]

It looks wrong, it looks like some love child between Toyota and Jaguar. [​IMG]

The Arnage was a classic design and clearly stood out from the crowd... it had style and real presence - a timeless elegance that could have easily been developed further.

VW have set out and managed to kill Bentley! [​IMG]