• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The never ending black suit saga.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In NYC, I see a lot of men wearing black solid suits, if that's what we're talking about. The black background suit with a pattern on it has been a staple for as long as the lounge suit has been around, in flannel, worsted, with white or colored stripes. One could argue that charcoal and navy solids with enough black in them are for all intents and purposes, black. Only the mind's eye can make the true determination. There are differences at play here. First, is a black solid suit suitable for business? And as a follow up, what businesses in what cities/nations/cultures are we speaking about? I know that Businessmen have been wearing solid black suits in faille for a long time. But the list of black suit wearers doesn't end there. Their industries range from the IT world, to the legal and Finance ones. Probably, these men don't spend a minute thinking about the color's appropriateness or even care about such matters, but they Are wearing black suits. Additionally, the people I know in fashion and more artistic businesses wear black solid suits without blinking. Second, who is the target audience? One wonders who is saying black isn't proper for day suits? Is it the same crowd who may have looked down on Fred Astaire's lounge suits in his Ginger Rogers team ups? What I am interested in is exactly what level of influence is assuming black suits are wrong? What's their viewpoint? Taste level? Motivation? Sure, you can have your opinion but what is it grounded in? Is it really their opinion or something gleaned from some other source, or some other time? I see my tailor making black solid suits all the time, and I am relatively sure they aren't being made for going out after hours. Third, for those who consider the black lounge suit inappropriate. Is it that black solid suits aren't attractive or they aren't acceptable? Two very different ideas. I see men wearing things that are unattractive all the time, that's MY problem. It doesn't make them unacceptable, except to my eye's aesthetic gaze. Someone suggested a black solid suit is as unacceptable as a burgundy solid one? I have no idea where that comparison comes from, it's not true in NYC, it may be true somewhere else. Unacceptable in business, in my mind, is when an item is so wrong to the viewer (obviously or subconsciously) that they can no longer concentrate on the matters at hand and it interferes with the business transaction. We need some hard data for that. However, in NYC, a man walks into my office for the first time in a black solid suit, white shirt and repp tie; I would hardly have the same reaction as to the same man coming in in a burgundy suit. And I am constantly paying attention to clothes! Fourth, I keep hearing the that there is a rule against black solid suits for biz wear, so where is it? Where's this rule? Rules that are unspoken or un-enacted are guidelines or suggestions. I have never seen one against black suits, and all I want is to see where they've been mentioned and by whom. There was definitely a reason that designers chose black in the late seventies, early eighties for the creation of the 'hip" look, a look that was being worn in the 50s and 60s already but not in specially designed suits and sweaters. That reason was because black was avoided. But think of the changing times. Men had fewer suits back then, so black rarely came up. That doesn't mean there was a rule against it; it meant that you ran out of money to buy suits before you got to the black solid. And whatever rule there may have been, is now apparently outdated, black seems acceptable to those who don't think about clothes and that's a heavy tide to turn. Fifth. Quality! This is a great rule for some but can it be applied across the board? If someone is wearing a beautifully tailored and sumptuous black solid wool cloth with beautiful and well coordinated accouterments, does that get trumped by an ill fitting charcoal, Dacron poly monstrosity with clashing accessories? Not in my opinion. Again you don't have to like them, there may be better choices but that doesn't make them unacceptable. I would also add, that if the President of the USA is wearing something it has tested as acceptable, by someone paying attention to such matters, by everyone and is thus a barometer of such broad based acceptability, if not actual stylishness.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
oh my god,here we go again.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I am looking forward to learning how this thread is a dig at Manton.
rolleyes.gif

EDIT: Oh, wait, I retract that. I didn't even bother to read FNB's post before posting. This one is quite clear. I didn't realize FNB was actually going to advocate the black suit. Silly me.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I saw a man in a black suit the other day. I realized he must be a man of some solid repute, as I recognized the fabric from the Lesser book.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most people really dont care except us.

I spend time around lawyers, bankers, consultants, etc... and there are black suits abound. There are very very few roles for which someone is going to get discounted for wearing a black suit. Or a button down collar with a suit. Or square toe shoes.

Well, maybe square toe shoes.

Rules schmooles.

K

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
I saw a man in a black suit the other day. I realized he must be a man of some solid repute, as I recognized the fabric from the Lesser book.

Haaaa! I love the black suit threads, because it always prompts me to re-inflict this: black bespoke suit in Lesser:

288439451_c5sPP-X2.jpg

288420420_sMfjT-L.jpg

For evening, though. Wouldn't wear in the day.

Have at it, gentlemen.

(Oh, just for buffy: midnight blue shoes also.)

- B

medwards

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
(Oh, just for buffy: midnight blue shoes also.) - B

Midnight blue derby shoes!
stirpot.gif

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jeez, you really are a glutton for punishment. Who the **** cares? We get it: you like black suits (and Manton doesn't) - good for you! No one has ever claimed they were unacceptable so don't put words in people's mouths'. They are indeed unattractive AFAIAC but don't let that stop you from wearing them with your other sartorial uglies.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EL72
Jeez, you really are a glutton for punishment. Who the **** cares?

What, you don't like it, the i-combat?

Rockem.gif

- B

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
eh.gif
Meh. I don't like solids generally on aesthetic grounds and black looks pretty stark to me ( sort of like something a Baptist preacher or mortician would wear)

Now add a red overcheck.....
cool.gif

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
FNB: the new Bresch.

Carl, the rule against black suits was made up, by me personally, and owing to my superior powers of mind control, I got 99% of these Style Forum lemmings (and 100% of the AAAC and LL lemmings) to follow it blindly and devotedly.

This is, needless to say, a power you only wish you had, and that you never will. Mwahahahaha!

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I feel so used.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads