1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The NBA Playoffs

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Saucemaster, Apr 21, 2006.

1. Saucemaster

Saucemaster Senior member

I'm not sure if I'm actually *pulling* for Jersey, but regardless, I hope it goes to seven games. Dwyane Wade is a sight to behold. My fiancee thinks so, too, though when she says it I'm pretty sure she means that as a double entendre....

Also, the Suns/Clippers game last night was kind of a downer (why do I want to see the Suns lose? I actually like them. I think I'm still more of a Lakers fan than I admit to myself), but I'm actually kind of heartened. For one thing, the Suns can't keep that up all series; at some point, the Clips will rediscover their defense. For another, it's clear that they have no answer to Elton Brand. 18-of-22 from the field is ridiculous. I knew I wasn't crazy for screaming at the television when Kwame Brown couldn't sink five-footers with a height advantage. Anyway, the series looks like it could be quite competitive.

2. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Senior member

I'm not sure if I'm actually *pulling* for Jersey, but regardless, I hope it goes to seven games. Dwyane Wade is a sight to behold. My fiancee thinks so, too, though when she says it I'm pretty sure she means that as a double entendre....

Also, the Suns/Clippers game last night was kind of a downer (why do I want to see the Suns lose? I actually like them. I think I'm still more of a Lakers fan than I admit to myself), but I'm actually kind of heartened. For one thing, the Suns can't keep that up all series; at some point, the Clips will rediscover their defense. For another, it's clear that they have no answer to Elton Brand. 18-of-22 from the field is ridiculous. I knew I wasn't crazy for screaming at the television when Kwame Brown couldn't sink five-footers with a height advantage. Anyway, the series looks like it could be quite competitive.

I agree; the adjustments from game to game in the Suns/Clippers series should be fascinating to watch. I'm still picking the Clippers to win in 7.

koji

3. mrpologuy

mrpologuy Senior member

ESPN.com says the Pistons may have a flaw because of the jump shots they take. Detroit is the most balanced team in the league since the mid 90's. The Cavs are done. Bring on the Finals.

4. Saucemaster

I agree; the adjustments from game to game in the Suns/Clippers series should be fascinating to watch. I'm still picking the Clippers to win in 7.
    Speaking of adjustments.... Actually, Miami and LA have both rebounded with a vengeance--LA, in particular, in more ways than one. And this is the second straight game where the Clips scored more than 120, right? The Suns have got to find a way to slow them down a little, because I don't realistically see them (the Suns) having three more 130+ point games in the series. Maybe one, hell, maybe even two, but their lack of size right now is killing them. The NJ/Miami series is still a little inscrutable to me. No idea what to make of that one yet.

5. Saucemaster

So yeah... Dallas. Either the Spurs pull out the second come-from-behind-when-you're-down-3-1 of the playoffs, or they're out. I'm impressed.

And WTF @ Detroit losing it last night? This is strange. I really didn't think the Cavs would take more than one game.

6. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Senior member

I picked Dallas to win the whole shooting match when the playoffs started and everyone laughed at me....

koji

7. Steve B.

Steve B. Senior member

If it takes them 6 to beat the Cavs, Dallas (most likely) or San Antonio will give them fits.

AND they need to make 'Sheed wear duct tape on his mouth.

8. Steve B.

Steve B. Senior member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

Well, the Nets are out now, so I guess I was wrong (though, I stand by my comment that they are capable of beating both Miami and Detroit). Anyway, I wish they could have gone out stronger if they had to go out, but oh well, there's always next year.

Anyway, I'm sitting here watching the Suns-Clippers game, and...am I the only one to whom this game looks like a work?!? I mean, it seems crazy that they would work a playoff game (or does it...), but, there's too many weird things happening in this game.

10. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

Never mind my last post. What an awesome game.

11. Bradford

Bradford Senior member

Never mind my last post. What an awesome game.

Yesss!!!!! What a finish... thought we were done for in the first OT and then Bell hits the 3 to force a 2nd OT and the Suns finally close it out!

P.S. It doesn't bother me to see Jack Nicholson sitting there during the Lakers series, but it pisses me off when he shows up for this series as if he's ever been a Clippers fans. Billy Crystal and Penny Marshall coming to my town, that's fine - they're legit Clips fans - but Nicholson should just go away after we beat his team in the first round.

12. visionology

visionology Senior member

Although I enjoyd watching the game, my eyes were praying that it would be over in 1 overtime. We were making fun of Nicholson too [​IMG] The laker fans are going to show up at his house with pitchforks and torches.

13. Saucemaster

Who knows, maybe Kobe finally killed Nicholson's long-standing Laker fandom.

That was a crazy, crazy game. I grow more conflicted about Raja Bell daily; on the one hand, you don't clothesline other players; on the other hand, it was Kobe. On the one hand, that was BS, the Suns were dead! On the other: wow, clutch shot. Impressive.

Also, yeah, apparently my uncertainty about the Nets/Heat matchup was way off base. NJ got spanked.

14. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Senior member

lakers fans and clippers fans are the same people. we love the lakers because they are winners. we love the clippers because they are losers. there's no rivalry here.

15. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

lakers fans and clippers fans are the same people. we love the lakers because they are winners. we love the clippers because they are losers. there's no rivalry here.

And now we are all confused [​IMG]

16. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Senior member

in american sports, if a team represents your city, you root for them. right? yankees fans prefer the yankees to the mets, but if the mets are still in it and the yankees are out, i think they'll root for the mets, as new yorkers.

in soccer, big cities have multiple teams which represent different sectors of society or different neighborhoods. fans of one team will hate the other team, but i don't think that happens here.

so now that the lakers are out, everyone wants the clippers to win. i don't know any laker fans that hate the clippers.

17. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

The one circumstance in which I would definitely root for the Mets would be an 1986 WS rematch.

The different hoods and societies thing does occur here, too. The North Side-South Side Sox-Cubs dynamic for example. I agree that it's not as pronounced as clubs in Euorpe. That'd be an interesting topic for further study.

18. Saucemaster

yankees fans prefer the yankees to the mets, but if the mets are still in it and the yankees are out, i think they'll root for the mets, as new yorkers.
    Dude... no! Or at least, it will never ever go the OTHER way. Maybe a few Yankees fans will pretend they were Mets fans all along if the Yankees are out and the Mets are still in it, but it would never, ever go the other way. Never. Seriously, people have been literally beaten in the stands before for wearing Mets caps at Yankee stadium and vice versa. No kidding. I have an otherwise kind and gentle friend--a Mets fan--who would seriously consider accosting anyone wearing a Yankees cap if he met them in a dark alley. I've never been that rabid a fan of any team in any sport, but there are definitely those out there who are.

19. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

in american sports, if a team represents your city, you root for them. right? yankees fans prefer the yankees to the mets, but if the mets are still in it and the yankees are out, i think they'll root for the mets, as new yorkers.

in soccer, big cities have multiple teams which represent different sectors of society or different neighborhoods. fans of one team will hate the other team, but i don't think that happens here.

so now that the lakers are out, everyone wants the clippers to win. i don't know any laker fans that hate the clippers.

As a Mets fan, I don't root for the Yankees at any point. But, I can kind of see what you are saying. I mean, I suppose I would rather have the Yankees win than the Red Sox or something like that. But, I would never consider myself a Yankee fan. Look at Chicago, I'm pretty sure that White Sox fans and Cubs fans "hate" each other (I wouldn't say hate in the way that European soccer fans hate the opposition, it's not like there are Cubs hooligans beating up Sox fans).

EDIT: By the way, as a Nets fan, I hate the Knicks (and the 76ers) and I hope they continue losing forever. If the Knicks never win another basketball game for the rest of time I wouldn't feel the least bit bad for them. When the Nets move to Brooklyn, I will probably still keep my allegience to them, unless New Jersey brings in another pro team, which is a possibility.

20. Steve B.

Steve B. Senior member

Is the best-dressed coach in the NBA.

Now if he could just grow himself some hair.