1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The NBA Playoffs

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Saucemaster, Apr 21, 2006.

1. Steve B.

Steve B. Senior member

Robert Horry

2. Saucemaster

Saucemaster Senior member

You're seriously going to compare Michael Jordan to Robert Horry?

Btw, not knocking Big Shot Rob--I love that guy.

3. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Senior member

Back to the thread topic. The Cavs/Wizards series was amazing and the game 7 for the lakers/suns is the result of another amazing series.

The Nets had better take it up a nothch. RJ is on fire but Kidd looks a little lame. However with two double doubles in the last two games it shows if he cant beat you with scoring buckets, he'll beat you another way.

4. Saucemaster

Back to the thread topic. The Cavs/Wizards series was amazing and the game 7 for the lakers/suns is the result of another amazing series.

Cavs/Wizards was a great series. I was pulling for Arenas last night--mostly because I wanted to see a Game 7--and I thought my prayers were answered when he hit that monster 30-footer at the end of regulation, but man... those free throws....

Plus, DAMON JONES?! Anyway, my prediction: LeBron manages to steal one game against Detroit, just because he's LeBron--kinda like Iverson in the 2001 finals against the Lakers. That's it, though. Just one. Detroit in five.

And tonight is going to be great.

5. Steve B.

Steve B. Senior member

OE was citing 6 championships as proof of MJ's greatness.

I was being ironic.

BSR might get his 7th this year...

6. countdemoney

countdemoney Senior member

Six NBA Championships is hard to argue with.

I won't belabor this too much, but Jordan was a great player, you won't hear me say otherwise. But he is not the be all and end all of hoops as people sometimes like to think.

There's a generation of kids weaned on televisions glass teat who don't know anything about the sport or the true richness of the game. They blurt out Jordan as some mantra.

It's just not so. Any objective look will tell you tha MJ can really claim no category as his own, nor can he claim any real impact on the game itself. Wilt caused rule changes, Russell DOMINATED the sport with 11 championships in 13 seasons with his last as player AND coach. Other players had an equal level of championships (Kareem) and more single handedly turned their teams around (David Robinson) or created a larger void when they left - Jordan's bulls made the playoffs without him. Other players had more points, rebounds, assists, steals, clutch shots, triple doubles and more.

And as for sheer artistry on the court nothing equals the showtime Lakers with the Pele of Parque, Magic Johnson elevating team basketball to the beautiful game.

In short, MJ was a great, gifted wonderful player, but he is not, nor will he ever be the greatest.

7. Steve B.

Steve B. Senior member

Extremely well said CDM.

But I'm from WI, and we cheeseheads just can't get excited about anything that happens in Chicago...

8. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

I won't belabor this too much, but Jordan was a great player, you won't hear me say otherwise. But he is not the be all and end all of hoops as people sometimes like to think.

There's a generation of kids weaned on televisions glass teat who don't know anything about the sport or the true richness of the game. They blurt out Jordan as some mantra.

It's just not so. Any objective look will tell you tha MJ can really claim no category as his own, nor can he claim any real impact on the game itself. Wilt caused rule changes, Russell DOMINATED the sport with 11 championships in 13 seasons with his last as player AND coach. Other players had an equal level of championships (Kareem) and more single handedly turned their teams around (David Robinson) or created a larger void when they left - Jordan's bulls made the playoffs without him. Other players had more points, rebounds, assists, steals, clutch shots, triple doubles and more.

And as for sheer artistry on the court nothing equals the showtime Lakers with the Pele of Parque, Magic Johnson elevating team basketball to the beautiful game.

In short, MJ was a great, gifted wonderful player, but he is not, nor will he ever be the greatest.

I'm not disagreeing with you. I wouldn't call him the greatest basketball palyer ever, either. But, I'm not sure that he was overrated. I mean, I guess it depends who is rating him and what they are saying about him. Also, we haven't really had a guy marketed the way that Jordan was since he disappeared. That may be his greatest impact on the sport - the fact that more people knew his name than any other player ever to play the game. If you go up to a random person and ask them "name a basketball player" I'd be willing to bet that the #1 answer would be "Michael Jordan." Of course, none of this really says anything about his basketball skills.

9. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

OE was citing 6 championships as proof of MJ's greatness.

I was being ironic.

BSR might get his 7th this year...

Ok, what I meant was, lead his team to Six Championships.

10. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

The Nets had better take it up a nothch. RJ is on fire but Kidd looks a little lame. However with two double doubles in the last two games it shows if he cant beat you with scoring buckets, he'll beat you another way.

I'm predicting Nets over the Heat in 6. The Nets are going to be reved up for this one because they got swept by the Heat in Round 1 last year, but this is a totally different Nets team. RJ is 100% healthy again, Vince has been playing exceptionally well during the playoffs (except for Game 1 against the Pacers), Krstic has grown and is now a more powerful weapon than he was last year, Kidd is Kidd, and Collins is one of the only guys in the NBA that can effectively defend Shaq.

11. bachbeet

bachbeet Senior member

I've said this before on the Lakers board - MJ was one of the greatest. I've been watching basketball since 1963. I've seen quite a few players. The Big O was better than MJ. Sweet shot with great range (MJ did not have great range). Fantastic passer. Unfortunately nothing clicked for Oscar till he got with Kareem and Lucius Allen and Dandridge et al.

However, the greatest I ever saw was Magic. Unbelievable. A great winning spirit that he imparted to his teammates.

12. jpeirpont

jpeirpont Senior member

If I'm not mistaken didn't Micheal and Co. beat Magic's Lakers rather handily in a championship series.
    This seasons playoff are the most entertaining there has been in quite a while. Kobe and Lebron have had amazing series.
    P.S Most overrated player = Steve Nash

13. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Senior member

If I'm not mistaken didn't Micheal and Co. beat Magic's Lakers rather handily in a championship series.
    This seasons playoff are the most entertaining there has been in quite a while. Kobe and Lebron have had amazing series.
    P.S Most overrated player = Steve Nash

if i'm not mistaken, that was the year magic got hurt in the first game and was out for the rest of the series. that was also kareem's last year. he was too old, too slow, and should not have been starting. (vlade divac was his back-up and a rookie at the time.)

my 2 cents on jordan. he was a great player but i'd rather have magic on my team than him. every time i saw jordan play, he'd get the ball stolen from him CLEANLY, and the ref would whistle a foul. the nba wanted to make a god out of him, and had the refs give him every call.

as i write this it looks like the lakers are done. they didn't deserve it this year, but they'll be much better once they trim the fat. (devean george and chris mihm.)

14. Bradford

Bradford Senior member

Suns 121 - Lakers 90 [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Kobe who??

P.S. Steve Kerr has 5 rings - 3 with the Bulls, 2 with the Spurs - but I wouldn't compare him to Magic [​IMG]

15. Steve B.

Steve B. Senior member

Kobe quit. Period.

He's a punk.

16. Steve B.

Steve B. Senior member

Word.

17. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

That was kind of anti-climactic.

18. jpeirpont

jpeirpont Senior member

if i'm not mistaken, that was the year magic got hurt in the first game and was out for the rest of the series. that was also kareem's last year. he was too old, too slow, and should not have been starting. (vlade divac was his back-up and a rookie at the time.)

my 2 cents on jordan. he was a great player but i'd rather have magic on my team than him. every time i saw jordan play, he'd get the ball stolen from him CLEANLY, and the ref would whistle a foul. the nba wanted to make a god out of him, and had the refs give him every call.

as i write this it looks like the lakers are done. they didn't deserve it this year, but they'll be much better once they trim the fat. (devean george and chris mihm.)

Magic played the whole series, Worthy and Scott missed game 5. Magic did have an amazing series, but wasn't as nice as MJ. I despised Jordan when he was in the league he got every call, Jordan Rules -asthey called it, but he did make the big shot and win the big games.

19. Saucemaster

Yeah. Hell of a letdown for the series to end this way after a few classic games earlier. Steve, I agree: Kobe just quit. FWIW, I understand the frustration, and I can only imagine how just plain annoying it has to be to have your playoff life on the line and watch your big men bumble and brick up four-footers. I think it started off as "I'm gonna get these guys fired up and then I'll ease back into it once we're firing on all cylinders" and it seemed to turn into sheer disgust when his teammates still couldn't make anything happen. And then he just quit.

I think the Clippers will prove to be tougher. It's not Kwame Brown and Luke Walton down in the post, it's Elton Brand. I'm hoping it's a good series. And once again, the West is twice as interesting as anything going on in the East.

20. Lamo

Lamo Senior member

That was kind of anti-climactic.

actually a successful season for the Lakers. Blew a great chance to advance but overall, one couldn't expect more from them.

Diaw is just a terrific player. Just fantastic, has a great feel for the game.