• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Navy Blazer

ginghamphatts

Reaction score
At present, I do not have a navy blazer, but I am looking to pick up a basic, solid, blazer that is neither too trendy, nor too old-fashioned. To be honest, I'm not completely sure what to look for, and I want my first purchase to be a good one that lasts me quite some time.

What should I look for? 2 or 3 buttons? Gold, silver, or black buttons? What else is important? Tapered/un-tapered? What other characteristics can I choose from, what should I look out for?

I would describe my typical fashion style as classic/traditional but bold. I like to stand out using classic styles, but I mostly steer clear of any fleeting trends.

Thanks guys!
G

BlackBrumel

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ginghamphatts
At present, I do not have a navy blazer, but I am looking to pick up a basic, solid, blazer that is neither too trendy, nor too old-fashioned. To be honest, I'm not completely sure what to look for, and I want my first purchase to be a good one that lasts me quite some time.

What should I look for? 2 or 3 buttons? Gold, silver, or black buttons? What else is important? Tapered/un-tapered? What other characteristics can I choose from, what should I look out for?

I would describe my typical fashion style as classic/traditional but bold. I like to stand out using classic styles, but I mostly steer clear of any fleeting trends.

Thanks guys!
G

Golden buttons navy blazer are not necessarily conservative: they are classic (and kind of a joker).

GBear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wideknot
Anderson Little. http://www.andersonlittle.com/

Just emailed Scott and he said these blazers were fused. Isn't that an SF no-no?
boxing[1].gif

Matt S

Reaction score
Are you looking for classic English or traditional American? The traditional American blazer will have a single vent where the classic English blazer should have double vents. Don't get black (or navy) buttons on a blazer. If not metal buttons then smoked mother of pearl. Some guys like brown horn, but that necessitates more sporting details (like patch pockets and swelled edges) on the blazer to be able to pull it off effectively.

Matt S

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GBear
Just emailed Scott and he said these blazers were fused. Isn't that an SF no-no?
boxing[1].gif

Yes, they are fused and a wool/polyester blend. They are low-end and mostly recommended as a travel blazer.

.Impulsv

Reaction score
Sorry for piggybacking, but... I'm looking for a blue blazer/odd jacket with soft, unpadded shoulders (specifically, 18-18.5" shoulders and a 21" chest). Double-vented and a slimmer lapel would be preferred. Not too concerned about buttons (I'll get them replaced if I don't like them) or waist (I always need to get my jackets taken in). Looking to spend $50-$200, so not too concerned about construction. Any suggestions? http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/s...1509/21509.jsp This is very close; judging by a cord sportcoat I own, the shoulders and chest are perfect, but it's twice the price I want to pay for a piece I'd wear once a week.

ginghamphatts

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt S
Are you looking for classic English or traditional American? The traditional American blazer will have a single vent where the classic English blazer should have double vents. Don't get black (or navy) buttons on a blazer. If not metal buttons then smoked mother of pearl. Some guys like brown horn, but that necessitates more sporting details (like patch pockets and swelled edges) on the blazer to be able to pull it off effectively.

Matt, what is the overall difference aside from the vents? What would you recommend? I'm 6 foot, 160lbs, and generally wear everything in slim fit, I like my jackets on the more form-fitting side in general, but I understand blazers aren't meant to be too form-fitting, is that correct?

Also, I am looking to spend something in the $200-300 range at the moment, maybe a tad more if it's worth it.

Thanks for the info, guys.

G

ginghamphatts

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BlackBrumel
Golden buttons navy blazer are not necessarily conservative: they are classic (and kind of a joker).

I get that gold buttons are "classic", but are they also considered sort of lame? Like I said, I like classic, but not lame-conservative. So looking for classic but cool.

Thoughts? Silver buttons?

G

GBear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Silvers buttons can work also. Why are gold buttons lame?

ginghamphatts

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GBear
Silvers buttons can work also. Why are gold buttons lame?

I've heard people say they think gold buttons are lame. I don't necessarily think so, just trying to get a consensus. I was thinking by "lame" people meant that only non-SF types would be caught dead in gold, but if you guys approve, I'll go gold!

G

Montrachet

Reaction score
You could go with brass, bronze or even copper buttons as well if you want something more subdued than gold.

Here's a Paul Stuart blazer with brass buttons as an example:

7172305.jpg

ginghamphatts

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Montrachet
You could go with brass, bronze or even copper buttons as well if you want something more subdued than gold.

Here's a Paul Stuart blazer with brass buttons as an example:

7172305.jpg

Good call. I like that. Subdued is the word I was looking for. I didn't want to appear "tacky" and some of the cheaper navy blazers with gold buttons look just that. Thanks.

G

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads