• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Narrow Tie...

macuser3of5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
...So, I need some more ties. I don't want superskinny 1" ties, nor do I want 3.75" power ties
laugh.gif
I've been poking around on the internet, and I found a site (www.narrowties.com) that has the width I like, 2" to 2/5", what are your thoughts on that? Secondly, are there any other places to get narrow-not-skinny ties? I'm looking for a good variety. Too bad Helmut Lang went under, this would be a lot easier
tongue.gif

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Band of Outsiders makes some really cool skinny ties (2-2.5") that I've seen at Barneys

Banana Republic website has a section for their "Heritage" line that has thin ties

Thin ties seem easier to find these days...I got 2 pairs at Bloomingdales in really cool vibrant prints for $15 ea, on sale from $85 ea

oh, and Penguin only makes skinny ties. They probably have the best selection in one place on their online store.

http://www.penguinclothing.com/pengu...ipe-solid.html

faust

Reaction score
Originally Posted by macuser3of5
...So, I need some more ties. I don't want superskinny 1" ties, nor do I want 3.75" power ties
laugh.gif
I've been poking around on the internet, and I found a site (www.narrowties.com) that has the width I like, 2" to 2/5", what are your thoughts on that? Secondly, are there any other places to get narrow-not-skinny ties? I'm looking for a good variety. Too bad Helmut Lang went under, this would be a lot easier
tongue.gif

Hah! I was coming to this thread to recommend Helmut. Dries van Noten makes narrow ties on regular basis. SS 06 there were tons of them left at Barneys at $40-50...

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brooks Brothers also has the University tie, which is just shy of 3 inches across, though their website shows a rather meager selection.

gusgusterson

Reaction score
Jil Sander and Marc Jacobs made/make beautiful silk narrow ties. I bought around 20 from Century 21 in NY over the last year or so. Club Monaco makes a narrow tie as well, but they aren't well stocked in the NYC stores. Jack Spade also made ties, but I haven't seen them recently. The Steven Alan store had those Band of Outsiders ties on sale last time I was there. Does the Steven Alan brand make a tie?

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
Band of Outsiders makes some really cool skinny ties (2-2.5") that I've seen at Barneys Banana Republic website has a section for their "Heritage" line that has thin ties Thin ties seem easier to find these days...I got 2 pairs at Bloomingdales in really cool vibrant prints for $15 ea, on sale from $85 ea oh, and Penguin only makes skinny ties. They probably have the best selection in one place on their online store. http://www.penguinclothing.com/pengu...ipe-solid.html
I would buy those if there weren't a stupid penguin logo at the bottom. Still trying to find decently priced narrow silk knit ties.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Three inches is the perfect width.

novalis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Don't forget our own Mulberrywood will make ties to any width. I've got an order coming up.

I second the motion. Excellent service, construction and silks.

Tyto

Reaction score
Land's End "Skinny Ties" are 3" wide, and a good value.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Kiton has slimmed down as well since I started buying in 1997. I prefer the wider version but both are nice.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kitonbrioni
Go bespoke ties and it will be less than an Hermes, Brioni or Kiton tie.
I think I just saw a pig fly outside my window.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics