1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Narrow Tie...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by macuser3of5, Aug 3, 2006.

1. macuser3of5

macuser3of5 Distinguished Member

...So, I need some more ties. I don't want superskinny 1" ties, nor do I want 3.75" power ties [​IMG] I've been poking around on the internet, and I found a site (www.narrowties.com) that has the width I like, 2" to 2/5", what are your thoughts on that? Secondly, are there any other places to get narrow-not-skinny ties? I'm looking for a good variety. Too bad Helmut Lang went under, this would be a lot easier [​IMG]

2. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

Band of Outsiders makes some really cool skinny ties (2-2.5") that I've seen at Barneys

Banana Republic website has a section for their "Heritage" line that has thin ties

Thin ties seem easier to find these days...I got 2 pairs at Bloomingdales in really cool vibrant prints for $15 ea, on sale from $85 ea

oh, and Penguin only makes skinny ties. They probably have the best selection in one place on their online store.

http://www.penguinclothing.com/pengu...ipe-solid.html

3. faust

faust Senior Member

...So, I need some more ties. I don't want superskinny 1" ties, nor do I want 3.75" power ties [​IMG] I've been poking around on the internet, and I found a site (www.narrowties.com) that has the width I like, 2" to 2/5", what are your thoughts on that? Secondly, are there any other places to get narrow-not-skinny ties? I'm looking for a good variety. Too bad Helmut Lang went under, this would be a lot easier [​IMG]

Hah! I was coming to this thread to recommend Helmut. Dries van Noten makes narrow ties on regular basis. SS 06 there were tons of them left at Barneys at $40-50...

4. Joel_Cairo

Joel_Cairo Distinguished Member

Brooks Brothers also has the University tie, which is just shy of 3 inches across, though their website shows a rather meager selection.

5. gusgusterson

gusgusterson Senior Member

Jil Sander and Marc Jacobs made/make beautiful silk narrow ties. I bought around 20 from Century 21 in NY over the last year or so. Club Monaco makes a narrow tie as well, but they aren't well stocked in the NYC stores. Jack Spade also made ties, but I haven't seen them recently. The Steven Alan store had those Band of Outsiders ties on sale last time I was there. Does the Steven Alan brand make a tie?

6. Jovan

Jovan Banned for Good

Band of Outsiders makes some really cool skinny ties (2-2.5") that I've seen at Barneys Banana Republic website has a section for their "Heritage" line that has thin ties Thin ties seem easier to find these days...I got 2 pairs at Bloomingdales in really cool vibrant prints for $15 ea, on sale from $85 ea oh, and Penguin only makes skinny ties. They probably have the best selection in one place on their online store. http://www.penguinclothing.com/pengu...ipe-solid.html
    I would buy those if there weren't a stupid penguin logo at the bottom. Still trying to find decently priced narrow silk knit ties.

7. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

Don't forget our own Mulberrywood will make ties to any width. I've got an order coming up.

8. where eagles dare

where eagles dare Member

Also J. Press and Ben Silver sell narrow(er) ties.

9. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Three inches is the perfect width.

10. novalis

novalis Senior Member Affiliate Vendor

Don't forget our own Mulberrywood will make ties to any width. I've got an order coming up.

I second the motion. Excellent service, construction and silks.

11. Tyto

Tyto Senior Member

Land's End "Skinny Ties" are 3" wide, and a good value.

12. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

Aren't some of JCrew's ties skinny?

13. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Suitsupply-sider

Kiton has slimmed down as well since I started buying in 1997. I prefer the wider version but both are nice.

14. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Distinguished Member

Go bespoke ties and it will be less than an Hermes, Brioni or Kiton tie.

15. Jovan

Jovan Banned for Good

Go bespoke ties and it will be less than an Hermes, Brioni or Kiton tie.
    I think I just saw a pig fly outside my window.