• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Name Change Process

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone here ever changed their name? How does the process work?
eh.gif

BDC2823

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ask Chad Ocho Cinco. He should have plenty of time to clue you in being that he didn't bother showing up this season.

likeitaloud

Reaction score
I'm planning to in a few months once I reach the age of majority..you must be really lazy because the whole process could not be more clearly outline by your version of painfully slow buerocratic branch.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
T,
th whole thing is pretty simple and can be done at a courthouse.

more importantly, why do you want to do it? I would consider the issue that recently you had a setback in your plans with the military, and suggest that this might not be the right time to make major changes in your life. you might want to think things through very well

oscarthewild

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know of a family who had named their child Osama in the late 80s or early 90s. This was surprisingly (I believe) a christian couple who had escaped from the eastern block and had viewed this son of privilege, roughing it against the soviets as a hero. Last I heard (around 2002 or so), the family was considering changing their sons name.

-

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Every jurisdiction is different, but it's usually a pretty simple process. Your local superior level court should have forms for you to fill out. Probably the biggest pain ********** part of the process is that (at least here in NJ) you have to publish your intent to change your name in a newspaper of general circulation, and then once the court approves your name change, you have to publish the fact that your name has been changed in the newspaper too. You then have to send a certified copy of the judgment of name change to the Bureau of Vital Statistics, and then you have to go through the process of changing all of your documents (passport, drivers license, social security card, etc.).

Come to think of it, it's pretty simple in theory, but really one huge pain **********.

distinctive

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oscarthewild
I know of a family who had named their child Osama in the late 80s or early 90s. This was surprisingly (I believe) a christian couple who had escaped from the eastern block and had viewed this son of privilege, roughing it against the soviets as a hero. Last I heard (around 2002 or so), the family was considering changing their sons name.

-

I think that would be among the top reasons to change one's name

likeitaloud

Reaction score
wow all we have to do in Canada is fill out a form and submit fingerprints.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TyCooN
Has anyone here ever changed their name? How does the process work?
eh.gif

I did after marriage. That's an easy process. You take your marriage certificate down to the Social Security office and change it there. That's the first step. Then you get your driver's license changed (using the certificate and your new Social Security card (or letter showing your name's been changed)).

After that, you change your name on your bank accts, credit cards, etc.

Frankly, it's a bit of a pain ********** if you're a man. Some people just cannot fathom that you have chosen to change your name.

The other option (aside from marriage) is to ask the court to change it. Then you use the court order instead of the marriage certificate and change everything as above.

edit: I did mine in Maryland, so ymmv.

b

Nugget

Reaction score
I have a friend originally from Zimbabwe who tells a great story of reading the gazette and finding that a fellow called “Bastard Mlongwe” changed his name to …. “Bastard Chilele” or similar….

He must have had low blood sugar levels by the time he got to the front of the queue.

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
T,
th whole thing is pretty simple and can be done at a courthouse.

more importantly, why do you want to do it? I would consider the issue that recently you had a setback in your plans with the military, and suggest that this might not be the right time to make major changes in your life. you might want to think things through very well

I wanted to change my first name even before my "involvement" with the military. I don't like my first name, and people always pronounce it jacked up.

Nugget

Reaction score
I would also suggest you take some time over it.. a former colleague had the name Andrew Hole, which was very occasionally shortened to AHole. Having not seen him for a while I found that he had changed his surname... I guess it really got to him, but somehow I was dissapointed in him ..

But, if you are resolved it is right for you... then so be it. (SF new name suggestion thread?)

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nugget
I would also suggest you take some time over it.. a former colleague had the name Andrew Hole, which was very occasionally shortened to AHole. Having not seen him for a while I found that he had changed his surname... I guess it really got to him, but somehow I was dissapointed in him ..

But, if you are resolved it is right for you... then so be it. (SF new name suggestion thread?)

I have a name in mind.
eh.gif

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Do you still have a family tycoon? I can't imagine them ever calling you anything other than the name they gave you. When I was younger i tried to get people to call me by my middle name and it never worked. Unless you are making a clean break with your old name (new family/friends), I don't see how it could work.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Actually I was drinking last night with a guy who has the same first name as the G33K. Introduced him to a non-French guy called Michel.

G33Kname guy was like "dude's with chick's names...cheers....get this man a drink" and spent the rest of the night swapping 'growing up with a girl's name' stories.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads