• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Naked Ape Gets Dressed

PTWilliams

Reaction score
Just read it annd enjoyed it very much. Does anyone put flowers in their button holes? Only in formal occasions? I seemed to recall there are small bud vases that can snap onto the stem? Anyone in the US? Thanks

Peak and Pine

Reaction score
I read it too. Nice. But why the title? Kinda unpleasant sounding.

couch

Reaction score
I believe the title is an allusion to Desmond Morris's classic work of the 1960s, _The Naked Ape_, which more or less launched the field of evolutionary anthropology.

Peak and Pine

Reaction score
Am aware of that, or at least of it's existence. And there was a pretty good road movie with that title a few years ago. But in all three examples the phrase seems not only redundant and not pertinent to the subject at hand, but unpleasant sounding. But what the hell, it's not my blog. Titles are important tho. Stevenson's first title for Treasure Island was The Sea Cook. A sharp editor had him change it.

Makeshift_Robot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As a routine flower-wearer, I like the discussion of flowers for buttonholes. None of my jackets have open buttonholes, so I often tuck six or seven small flowers on the stem into my breast pocket.

You write comfortably, but not terribly well. Your writing style is extremely aspirational, seeking the sense of leisure in reading that one would get from a Henry James novel, but Henry James wrote in constant search of clarity, and you don't seem to be troubling yourself to do that. Just a little advice, from writer to writer. It's still a good read.

The layout is visually painful. Your background needs to be less busy, and your header should be less garish and easier to read. Let the words breathe and speak for themselves.

I agree with you on the whole cigarettes thing, that a cigarette once every few days is no big deal. Like anything else, it's a matter of moderation. I'm still pretty partial to cannabis (again, maybe once a month); I don't know why you're opposed to its becoming legal.

This response turned out to be more confrontational than I'd hoped. It's a neat blog, and the process of routine writing is incredibly good for the brain. Good luck, and I'll check back often.

clubman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Makeshift_Robot
As a routine flower-wearer, I like the discussion of flowers for buttonholes. None of my jackets have open buttonholes, so I often tuck six or seven small flowers on the stem into my breast pocket.

You write comfortably, but not terribly well. Your writing style is extremely aspirational, seeking the sense of leisure in reading that one would get from a Henry James novel, but Henry James wrote in constant search of clarity, and you don't seem to be troubling yourself to do that. Just a little advice, from writer to writer. It's still a good read.

The layout is visually painful. Your background needs to be less busy, and your header should be less garish and easier to read. Let the words breathe and speak for themselves.

I agree with you on the whole cigarettes thing, that a cigarette once every few days is no big deal. Like anything else, it's a matter of moderation. I'm still pretty partial to cannabis (again, maybe once a month); I don't know why you're opposed to its becoming legal.

This response turned out to be more confrontational than I'd hoped. It's a neat blog, and the process of routine writing is incredibly good for the brain. Good luck, and I'll check back often.

Thanks for this. First: I'd get some buttonholes. I am not sure that 'comfortable' writing can also be 'unclear' without running the risk of becoming uncomfortable but I freely give you that I do not write terribly well. I'll settle for being a good read and thanks for saying so. I have changed the layout (the original was just a basic template). On the ganja - I think that it is hypocritical to get tough on tobacco while loosening up on other soft drugs. I don't think that you have been especially confrontational and I am glad to have your tips.

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice. Btw, I don't suppose either one ever took you up on your offer...

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I always wear a flower with black tie. With a regular suit, maybe 10% of the time.

clubman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wes Bourne
Nice. Btw, I don't suppose either one ever took you up on your offer...

No. I have just mentioned that over there as I wasn't banned after all...
fight[1].gif

jagmqt

Reaction score
Don't you think it's a little over board on the self-promotion posting this in every area of the forum?

I do.

jag

clubman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jagmqt
Don't you think it's a little over board on the self-promotion posting this in every area of the forum?

I do.

jag

I did it because they're there.
musicboohoo[1].gif

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by clubman
For anyone interested, I have just started this blog: http://thenakedapegetsdressed.blogspot.com/ Clubman.
Is it just me or is the text really difficult to read, being black on dark grey? The content seems interesting, but short of highlighting the text with the mouse, it's really tricky to read. Anyway, if this is the place to shill our new blogs(!), I just started one too (see my sig, or click here). It's not actually clothing focused as such but today's post (and probably the next couple too) is about clothes.

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the blog but the title would suggest otherwise.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.2%

Forum statistics

Threads