• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The myth of declining quality

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
OMG a veteran of the CE culture wars. How are you?
Getting too old to argue. Well, at least I don't feel much like it anymore. I'm once again trying to venture out into threads that are actually style related. That said, this one is reminding me a bit of CE.

Last edited:

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Getting too old to argue. Well, at least I don't feel much like it anymore. I'm trying to venture out into threads that are actually style related. That said, this one is reminding me a bit of CE.
3dd854e01e1fb52f4e5d589a60d1e2da.gif

EUtroll

Reaction score
In a number of western European countries the average male spends closer to 500€ than 1k/year on clothing.

Reactions: RSS

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Seems weird to accuse me of being an elitist when I spend more time than most people on here recommending affordable options to people. I spend hours every week digging up eBay finds for people on a budget. I've written for Put This On for over ten years, and nearly every post includes an affordable version of whatever I'm talking about."

That could make you patronizing…. Kidding !!

Reaction score
Quality can be:
- Durability (this suit should last a long time)
- Comfort (this suit should feel good on me)
- Precision of manufacturing (this suit should have perfect stitching)
- Or some other more subjective definitions, like style

This thread is all over the place talking about different aspects of quality.
I do agree that quality of the past has been romanticized, and there certainly is a cause for declining quality, as companies race to the bottom to stay affordable.

EUtroll

Reaction score
If I don't remember wrong, it was a top manager at one of the leading American manufactures who praised the Chinese knit production as next to none simply because they alone invested in the best and most advanced machines which also allowed them to produce very decent quality in great quantities at a decent price. As a general rule, I think it's fair to say that affordable clothing has become a lot better over the years.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I don't remember wrong, it was a top manager at one of the leading American manufactures who praised the Chinese knit production as next to none simply because they alone invested in the best and most advanced machines which also allowed them to produce very decent quality in great quantities at a decent price. As a general rule, I think it's fair to say that affordable clothing has become a lot better over the years.

Chinese investment in textile production is hard to overexaggerate. I've been in mills there the size of US distro warehouses that run 24/7. You have to wear earplugs in those places.

They have also invested heavily in Laser and waterless dye / laundry / finishing machines to try to attract eco conscious foreign production. Most Western producers aren't willing to pay the extra few cents to use them though.

standaloneprotein

Reaction score
Seems weird to accuse me of being an elitist when I spend more time than most people on here recommending affordable options to people. I spend hours every week digging up eBay finds for people on a budget. I've written for Put This On for over ten years, and nearly every post includes an affordable version of whatever I'm talking about.

That said, I think there's an online culture now around classic men's style that's not really about classic clothing at all. I think many end up looking like internet dandies. So yes, my view on Manny pants has changed after seeing more men in them. I think many end up looking bad in those pants.

Do not feed the trolls my friend.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think you have to wear particularly high-quality clothes to look good. On balance, the stylish people I see are mostly wearing lower quality clothes. People who can afford nice clothes are often not very well dressed, even if they've spent a lot of money on their duds.

This is my impression as well. People in the arts and culture sectors who have a well-cultivated aesthetic sense and little money usually dress a lot better than iGents & co.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't yet, but hope to at some point. I've been slowly collecting interviews with people who work or worked at Brooks Brothers, and hope to write something more comprehensive about the company. (If time allows anyway, I feel like I'm always sitting on various projects and ideas. But I have collected a handful of interviews already)

When you eventually write a book it will be one of the better trade books on fashion, ever.

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Getting too old to argue. Well, at least I don't feel much like it anymore. I'm once again trying to venture out into threads that are actually style related. That said, this one is reminding me a bit of CE.

Would this, then, be an appropriate moment to mention divots as they relate to declining quality?

CBrown85

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Always thought it was funny that it was the biggest contributors to the forum who got chirped the hardest from rando boomers and trolls.

Reactions: RSS

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads