• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The myth of declining quality

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would never lob elitist as an accusation. I consider myself an elitist. I, generally, think discernment is underrated.

I just think you think you aren't an elitist. Despite the fact that you look down on people and their choices (probably because you do in fact have a better eye and know more than them).

Seems weird to accuse me of being an elitist when I spend more time than most people on here recommending affordable options to people. I spend hours every week digging up eBay finds for people on a budget. I've written for Put This On for over ten years, and nearly every post includes an affordable version of whatever I'm talking about.

Sounds like some elite qualifications.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I would never lob elitist as an accusation. I consider myself an elitist. I, generally, think discernment is underrated.

I just think you think you aren't an elitist. Despite the fact that you look down on people and their choices (probably because you do in fact have a better eye and know more than them).

Sounds like some elite qualifications.

I don't know what you mean by eltist. But if the measure of elitism is saying that some people are poorly dressed, then I suppose I'm an elitist.

I don't think you have to have money to be well dressed. As I said earlier, as a total population, I think most well-dressed people are not wearing particularly high-end clothes. But it's true that most people are poorly dressed, and I would say that most people who wear high-end clothing are poorly dressed. Style is much more of a function of time spent and taste than it is about money.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know what you mean by eltist.

Someone who spends time deriding and judging others' choices within an area they have a high degree of expertise and competence in would fit the bill well.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Val, it's ok if some people don't like your pants.

Awww you've run out of ways to defend yourself from being an elitist.

Its ok if someone doesn't like your Proletarian Boots, you still spent 10 pages or so defending them lol.

wklq76a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He's gone full avoidance!

You're an elitist, just accept it and move on. It's not so bad.

He already said he's an elitist, per your definition. Why are you still digging

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He already said he's an elitist, per your definition. Why are you still digging

No he didn't. He gave his own, obviously uselessly broad, definition to make the label as it applies to himself meaningless. See below.

I don't know what you mean by eltist. But if the measure of elitism is saying that some people are poorly dressed, then I suppose I'm an elitist.

wklq76a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No he didn't. He gave his own, obviously uselessly broad, definition to make the label as it applies to himself meaningless. See below.

Oh.

I guess...proceed with the pointless persecution, then?

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh.

I guess...proceed with the pointless persecution, then?

Hey ... I'm a nobody on this forum. A mere peon. He's a forum magnate who brought old dirt to fling around. So now we all roll in the mud!

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads