• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Mystery Of The Henley: What Is Its Appeal??

Wupper

Reaction score
I like these:

The+Fonzarelli+Eco+Vertigrain+Henley+by+Alternative+Apparel.jpeg

photolarge411822.jpg

CharlieAngel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
I don't like that. Fits too tight and looks like an undershirt. I don't like henleys like that for casual wear.

That's because you weigh like 125 pounds. Tighter fitting shirts like that pretty much look great on athletic/fit builds. Skinny guys like you (and fatter dudes like me) should avoid that like the plague. Kinda like fat chicks and spandex. Ew.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I think it can sometimes look hippie-ish and sloppy.

CharlieAngel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Robert

I agree. Take the 2 pics a post above mine. Neither of those fits look great to me. The first one, the henley is too.. slouchy? it reminds me of a greasy stoner-frat kid, stuck on a beanbag chair playing video games who's coming out to grab pizza with the frats. Probably has a Phish jam CD spinning in the background. the second one? He might as well be wearing a button down or a polo. It looks like it's confused.

However, take the Dexter pics, he looks pretty clean shaven and the boots + henley gives him a bit of an edgier, working-class look, which is perfectly a-ok in my book. :p

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Yeah, it's one of those things that depends a lot on how you wear it. I think if you're the least bit scruffy, it can easily tip into the dirt-gang hippie realm.

seamless74

Reaction score
I think it might be a case of overthinking an item of clothing.. but then again what the hell is this site for if not for that very thing...

Henleys are cool always have been always will be i like mine fairly tight paired with boots and jeans im not a big layering guy because im not a big guy... i think like anything else the fit of the item and its visual appeal have alot to do with a persons build... if you have anything going for yourself in terms of a male rack.. lol.. i think a henley with a deep placket looks great just like a t shirt can be rather boring on a skinny adrogenous fellow however on a guy with a nice chest and some guns can be rather exciting to the opposite sex.. although that in and of itself would be a turnoff for most of the posters around here who abhore overt masculinity in all its forms...

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
And now... breathe.... .

KaiserSose

Reaction score

I really don't know why you post in the streetwear forum. Pretty much everyone of your posts indicate your views are aligned in a pretty strict sense with the men's forum.

Also, you represent your location very well.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
I was just going to say that, robert's got more useless posts than me at least I've got some stuff to contribute.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Oh, you guys... you're so funny. I'm flattered, though.

I would say that while most of my posts are pretty useless, I have far more to contribute than jet.

Morgan

Reaction score
I've got a couple American Apparel henleys and I wear the hell out of them on the weekends. They look great layered under collared shirts, like Ken demonstrates. I wear them under chambray, western denim shirts, and plaid flannels. Jeans and boots or sneakers.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Oh, you guys... you're so funny. I'm flattered, though.

I would say that while most of my posts are pretty useless, I have far more to contribute than jet.

Agreed, not excluding cynicism, narrow-mindedness and snark.

Now don't go off and change your sn again g.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
What a sweetheart.

VictorC

Reaction score
You know thermal henleys like you might get in American apparel. Are they supposed to be worn under something? Because thermal suggests thermal underwear.
Or could i wear a thermal henley with jeans on a summery day, or even not so summery day?

wagthesam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They look like undergarnments.

Has anyone tried layering henleys under v neck sweaters? I've been considering this. Does it look good?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads